Wheel and tyre recommendations please

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
leejhayward

by leejhayward

Taking receipt of my new Ti Reilly Spectre over the weekend and wanna choose some good solid Carbon wheels to go with as well as a decent tyre. This is going to be my commuter / all road / maybe odd fire road hack, as opposed to anything like a road race machine so I'm looking for a robust but still reasonably light, fairly aero (probably max 50mm depth) wheelset with bearings that I can service.

For the tyre I'm looking for tubeless, full puncture protection strip and mostly slick tread. Will probably be 90% road with some odd family days out along some forestry fire roads and the like. Ideally around 30-32mm I would guess.

Cheers,
Lee

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

For bearings you can service, do you just mean replace the cartridge bearings, or do you want cup and cone bearings?

As long as you're OK with cartridge bearings, I'd say Farsports Hyper 50 (24/30) wheels with carbon spokes 270 hubs paired with 32mm Continental GP5000S-TR tires.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

xiyuwang

by xiyuwang

On mid-to-high range:
DT swiss ERC 1400; Campy WTO 45; Ultegra C50, Roval Rapide CL II, Zipp 303s
ERC1400 comes with a DT 240 hub, fairly easy to service, also easy to swap the cartridge bearings, slightly heavy, but you have good width, 45mm deep means it is agile (35mm also avail), and it is hooked.
WTO 45 comes with good old cup and cone bearing and a fairly quite hub, but it is narrow and installing wide tyres on it can look a bit weird. The G3 spoke pattern is another concern but shouldn't really affect anything on your side.
Ultegra C50 is still recommanded because it is robust, and honestly easy to service. All you need is just two wrench and you can already take it apart and service the very bearing balls themselves, this is probably more serviceable than cartridge bearings where you need to replace it if it breaks.
Rapide CL II comes with DT 350 hub, honest I don't feel like it is better than DT's. The rim looks is more fancy tho.
303s is the cheaper version of 303, but heavier. It is hookless, which might be concerning if you want to use tyre below 28c. 303s has a 23mm inner width, same as erc 1400. It isn't appealing to me, but budget friendly enough.

On the high-end range:
ERC1100, Dura Ace C50, CLX II, zipp 303 (353 is out of question, too expensive and too fragile).

I do still think shimano's are great opinions. If it is water-proof enough, you don't need to take it apart so often in the first place. In contrast, hubs from Zipp, although it is very easy to service by just pulling the hub body out, it is less water proof and more draggy than Shimano hub. In such case, it is not just about how easy to service, it is more about if it requires so frequent service.

xiyuwang

by xiyuwang

It sounds like you want a all around wheel, is better stick around 45-50mm deep. Personally I don't find my zipp 303 being slower than my deeper ARC1100 wheels (50+62 combination) because I guess I still cannot ride that fast, e.g., above 40kph for hours). The inner width is more important to you as it determines what tyre width would look cool and fit well. In this regard, ERC series from DT looks legit to me. But there are other Chinese brands like Elitewheels, they offer similar quality product as well and has good inner width. Since I haven't really try out those Chinese brands personally, I cannot firmly comment on if they would be recommended here.

In terms of tyre, it is always performance vs durability. GP5000 and corsa pro is the performance opinion but if you want durability, GP 4 season then. 30C is width enough for most rims, 28C is quite common also, both handles light gravel well based on my experience. In fact my GP5000 never got punctured due to riding gravel... they just got randomly punctured on tarmac roads...