ELITEWHEELS G45 Aliexpress discount: 444 USD for 1372g, 45Deep/24IW/31EW

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

Ronin416 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:26 pm
Are you planning to use these for road or gravel?
If it’s gravel I’d opt for the 45mm.
Wouldn't a roadie benefit from deeper rims even more, than gravel? I've considered almost all wheelsets on the market and the G45 is in my top 3 for road, use, even higher than ENVE SES 4.5 or Roval Rapide CLX II, as these are much lighter.

The only thing that's holding me back from purchasing a 2nd wheelset (already bought one for a friend) is this upcoming premiere. I'd guess they will make their way to Aliexpress too: https://www.instagram.com/p/C40L4N9rUgl/

Not sure about the benefits of a wave rim + the rumour is they'll be narrower: 23mm internal

Ronin416

by Ronin416

UrgentDelay wrote:
Ronin416 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:26 pm
Are you planning to use these for road or gravel?
If it’s gravel I’d opt for the 45mm.
Wouldn't a roadie benefit from deeper rims even more, than gravel? I've considered almost all wheelsets on the market and the G45 is in my top 3 for road, use, even higher than ENVE SES 4.5 or Roval Rapide CLX II, as these are much lighter.

The only thing that's holding me back from purchasing a 2nd wheelset (already bought one for a friend) is this upcoming premiere. I'd guess they will make their way to Aliexpress too: https://www.instagram.com/p/C40L4N9rUgl/

Not sure about the benefits of a wave rim plus the rumour is they'll be narrower: 23mm internal

Doesn’t seem like cf spoke are top of the list for you, so it just comes down to if you like the new wavy shape and deeper bladed spokes? If not - then not much point in waiting.

Definitely deeper “to a point” is better and that point is 50mm per se. As “Tour Mag interviewee” mentioned “its minuscule gains after 50mm in the tunnel”. - something along those lines.

Plus I’m a fan of the wider external widths, 30-32mm to be exact. But I’m not so sure about 24 or 25mm internal on how much stretch or tire shape that produces with 28, 30, 32’s. I’ll have to get around to testing it. Maybe Mr. Gib would know.

I have a few guys on the Magene’s and for the time being it’s been a good over all balance of tire shape, external width and weight. 23mm internal with a 30mm external (I’d prefer another millimeter to make it perfect) A GP5K 28mm measure 29mm, so it’s a nice fit.

As for waiting for the new Elite.

The wave design is just personal preference IMHO (is mild enough to get away from the Zipp/Princeton patents? - no idea - maybe someone can chime in)

The wider blades spokes are going to be a heck of a lot more popular among the Chinese rim brands in the very near future (hint hint) cause they probably need something to to tout give you a reason to buy another set, lol. Also I have heard that they aren’t any faster than the current cf spokes being used. If anything- they may be more turbulent. Maybe some testing will come out further down the line.

The 23mm internal - definitely wait for that if you want the Elite wheels with the CF spokes, then again they have a gravel cf spokes model. 21mm will soon be dead for road disc - maybe not for rim brakes.

It’s a big jump in price from those Elite Gravel to WR50 for another 5mm to reach 50mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

Ronin416 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:33 pm
Doesn’t seem like cf spoke are top of the list for you, so it just comes down to if you like the new wavy shape and deeper bladed spokes? If not - then not much point in waiting.
It's a top negative-priority for me. Numerous testers report them to be comfort-killers.
Ronin416 wrote:
Definitely deeper “to a point” is better and that point is 50mm per se. As “Tour Mag interviewee” mentioned “its minuscule gains after 50mm in the tunnel”. - something along those lines.
That's why I'm even considering these, yet it's still around 4W difference @50kph and c.a. 10W+ @65kph sprint:
https://youtu.be/9WLuQFOgy18?si=P6wNr_JSQtkVTes0&t=464
Ronin416 wrote:
Plus I’m a fan of the wider external widths, 30-32mm to be exact. But I’m not so sure about 24 or 25mm internal on how much stretch or tire shape that produces with 28, 30, 32’s. I’ll have to get around to testing it. Maybe Mr. Gib would know.

I have a few guys on the Magene’s and for the time being it’s been a good over all balance of tire shape, external width and weight. 23mm internal with a 30mm external (I’d prefer another millimeter to make it perfect) A GP5K 28mm measure 29mm, so it’s a nice fit.
Rim width probably would be even more important here than depth for aero gains. Peak-Torque's rim aero drag test confirms that:
https://youtu.be/1_e5tlM5Gi8?si=AdsgFbeI-0ktULDm&t=443

Regarding tire width, hope this helps:
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=174930&p=1853662#p1853662

So for a 28mm GP5000 you will need 31mm external for 23-24mm internal width or 25mm if hookless (tires on hookless are a tad bit narrower).
Ronin416 wrote:
As for waiting for the new Elite.

The wave design is just personal preference IMHO (is mild enough to get away from the Zipp/Princeton patents? - no idea - maybe someone can chime in)

The wider blades spokes are going to be a heck of a lot more popular among the Chinese rim brands in the very near future (hint hint) cause they probably need something to to tout give you a reason to buy another set, lol. Also I have heard that they aren’t any faster than the current cf spokes being used. If anything- they may be more turbulent. Maybe some testing will come out further down the line.
I don't know what to think about the wave design, what I think it does is it allows the rim to be deeper w/o losing its stability. The wide carbon spokes do seem like a marketing gimmick to me, what you need is less spokes and then there would be a benefit.
Ronin416 wrote:
The 23mm internal - definitely wait for that if you want the Elite wheels with the CF spokes, then again they have a gravel cf spokes model. 21mm will soon be dead for road disc - maybe not for rim brakes.

It’s a big jump in price from those Elite Gravel to WR50 for another 5mm to reach 50mm
The new Elite wheel is rumoured to be 23mm indeed. If it's like 50 front and 60 back, then maybe there would be some benefit to it. But then again, 23mm won't be as comfy as a 25mm internal.

The WR50 is out of my shortlist due to minuscule differences vs this Eltie Gravel wheelset, which comes at less than 50% the price.

The only competition I'm currently considering vs this gravel wheelset is a local brand. Front: 49 deep Rear: 54 deep Both: 25 internal, 31 external. 1405g/set.
The only problem is that it's hookless. I'd be running tubeless exclusively, so the tire choice is not a problem, but I have no idea how safe it would be, so much bad press around HL now:
https://falconwheels.pl/produkt/nowosc- ... nfiguracja

garbageman

by garbageman

UrgentDelay wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:40 am
The only competition I'm currently considering vs this gravel wheelset is a local brand. Front: 49 deep Rear: 54 deep Both: 25 internal, 31 external. 1405g/set.
The only problem is that it's hookless. I'd be running tubeless exclusively, so the tire choice is not a problem, but I have no idea how safe it would be, so much bad press around HL now:
https://falconwheels.pl/produkt/nowosc- ... nfiguracja
Those look like Nextie ARX rims given the profiles and that Falcon is also selling a 39/44 set. https://www.nextie.com/road-ARX-series
Nextie offers them hooked with 24 mm IW.

Agent041

by Agent041

Would rather choose Farsport (on Wheelsfar site), with carbon spokes, 24mm internal, 30mm external. As a matter a fact, I did :)
40mm deep, 24int./30ext., 1.135g
https://www.wheelsfar.com/carbon-spokes ... p0182.html

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

garbageman wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:58 am
Those look like Nextie ARX rims given the profiles and that Falcon is also selling a 39/44 set. https://www.nextie.com/road-ARX-series
Nextie offers them hooked with 24 mm IW.
You're totally right, I somehow missed that. The local guy quoted me $844 on the "Nextie" 49/55 wheelset, so maybe that's the way to go.
I wonder if it will be noticeably faster, than the 45/45 Eltie gravel though.
Agent041 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:08 am
Would rather choose Farsport (on Wheelsfar site), with carbon spokes, 24mm internal, 30mm external. As a matter a fact, I did :)
Have you tried riding carbon spokes before?

Agent041

by Agent041

UrgentDelay wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:51 am
Agent041 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:08 am
Have you tried riding carbon spokes before?
I have ordered these wheels last week, so have not received them yet. But Previously had Farsport Ventoux EVO4, with carbon spokes (20spokes), 1.230g. And currently custom made Farsport Wave 35/30, 24 carbon spokes, 26int./32ext., 1.250g. Actually intended gravel wheels, but am running them with Conti 5000 S TR 30c (actuall 33,5mm). Both wheels superb. Even comfort. When some say that carbon spokes give harsh ride, I think the opposite. Great stiffnes and great comfort.

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

Ok, that new 120$ code was too much. After the 3.6% cashback they're $444.2:

I wonder whether it's worth those Chinese ceramic bearings (NBK), or just stick to their steel ones (TPI).
Price doesn't matter at this point, I just wonder about their lifespan.

Savon

by Savon

Wow, I hadn't seen this offer, especially since I was looking at Lightbicycle wheels. And I really like the Pillar Wing 20 spokes. I also would like to know if there is any benefit to getting ceramic bearings? It's priced at €529.85 (with €120 coupon and steel bearing) for France and it says 'VAT included' (really?)

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

Savon wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:04 am
Wow, I hadn't seen this offer, especially since I was looking at Lightbicycle wheels. And I really like the Pillar Wing 20 spokes. I also would like to know if there is any benefit to getting ceramic bearings? It's priced at €529.85 (with €120 coupon and steel bearing) for France and it says 'VAT included' (really?)
VAT will be deducted during the checkout. You need to select "seller's shipping method", which will effectively cost 65USD, all taxes included.

I reviewed multiple comment section on YT regarding these wheels, called my LBS services and the conclusion is that unless the hubs have a great seal, the ceramic bearings life will be short. So I went with regular TPI.

I've ordered 2 wheelsets, one for a friend and one for myself.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Hopefully they ship you the actual wheels you ordered!
Speedplay is the devil!

Savon

by Savon

elite.jpg
With "seller's shipping method". :| Well for me, it's almost the price of the rims (not the complete wheels) that I was targeting at Lightbicycle, so it's still cheaper...

EDIT: the price in their ad doesn't match, because it doesn't take into account these additional €74, strange.

Last edited by Savon on Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TidyDinosaur

by TidyDinosaur

Savon wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:00 pm
elite.jpg

With "seller's shipping method". :| Well for me, it's almost the price of the rims (not the complete wheels) that I was targeting at Lightbicycle, so it's still cheaper...
Little tip: pay with credit card in USD and let the CC company do the USD-EUR conversion. Will probably be cheaper than letting Ali do the conversion.

But first check you CC conversion fee/cost...

Edit: you really should check why they are not deducting VAT before you pay... I'm also in EU and VAT is deducted in the last step of the ordering process... The whole reason for the seller shipping method is to NOT pay VAT and let the seller handle it
Last edited by TidyDinosaur on Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Savon

by Savon

TidyDinosaur wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm
Savon wrote:
elite.jpg

Little tip: pay with credit card in USD and let the CC company do the USD-EUR conversion. Will probably be cheaper than letting Ali do the conversion.

I use PayPal, not sure if it's worth it in this case.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TidyDinosaur

by TidyDinosaur

Savon wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:28 pm
TidyDinosaur wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm
Savon wrote:
elite.jpg

I use PayPal, not sure if it's worth it in this case.
Probably not.