Carbon Ti hub noise fix.

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

This thread from 2020 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=164555&p=1852694#p1852694 discusses a bad creaking noise with Carbon Ti rear hubs. As I have just experienced and fixed this problem on two wheelsets, I figured a thread here in the wheels and tires forum might be helpful to Carbon Ti owners.

This video demonstrates the noise. https://youtu.be/pw5s2bZOkPs (not me or my video)

In every way it resembles a nasty bottom bracket failure. It can be intermittent which makes identification of the source difficult. You might service your bottom bracket and have a couple weeks of silence which can convince you it is a bb problem. To make the problem even more challenging, full disassembly of the hub and serious cleaning, greasing, and lubrication of all surfaces may make no difference. How is it possible that perfect maintenance and fresh lubrication can have no effect on the noise? Further, one hub involved had very low use and showed zero wear on any part.

I am pretty sure that the noise is caused by freehub movement. Apparently, even though the bearings may be in like-new condition, the inner races of the stock bearings are not a tight enough fit on the axle, or more properly, the axle is undersized for the stock bearings. Any pressure on a pedal will pull on the freehub enough to cause some movement that produces noise. No type or amount of grease between the inner races and the axle, or on any other hub surfaces made any difference.

Despite the perfect condition of the stock bearings, I decided to replace them with SKF bearings. I immediately noticed a tighter fit when reinstalling the axle, (though I think it should be tighter still). The noise was gone. I can only conclude that the superior tolerance of the SKF bearings, specifically the smaller diameter inner races, reduced the movement enough to kill the noise.

Disassembly of the second older hub revealed very light wear on the axle at the point of contact with the inner race of the inboard free hub bearing – some of the black anodizing had been worn through to the bare aluminum. SKF bearings installed, and again silence.
So, if you have Carbon Ti hubs and you think your new, freshly greased bottom bracket is making noise, try a different wheelset or consider changing free hub bearings to something high quality like SKF before you tear your bike apart.

A shoutout to the folks at Carbon Ti. They were very responsive to my inquiries, and very professional and friendly throughout the process. They agreed to send at no charge a replacement axle for the newer hub. I also purchased one for the older hub.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

Interesting. I thought that they have been using SKF bearings in their hubs. Now I don't find it in hub product page, but their wheels product page states that they use SKF bearings.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

jlok wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:19 am
Interesting. I thought that they have been using SKF bearings in their hubs. Now I don't find it in hub product page, but their wheels product page states that they use SKF bearings.
That's what I thought also. But the bearings I removed don't appear to be SKF. I wonder if they use a variety of bearings depending on the sales channel? Retail vs OEM? And are all SKF bearing created equal? My knowledge of bearings is limited. The only thing I know for certain is that the new bearings were tighter on the axle and the noise is gone. Nothing else has changed.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

bobones

by bobones

Here's the box for a hub I received for a warranty claim, which advertises that SKF bearings are used. I haven't had any problem with noise and I am really impressed how smooth the bearings are after many a drenching this winter. Hub flange strength, well that's another matter :unbelievable:

IMG_6119.jpg

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

It might be that a small number of hubs left the factory with alternate bearings during a supply shortage, or perhaps there was a batch of undersized axles. It is most certainly a very small problem or it would be all over various furums. But for those that are unlucky enough to have the problem, it is a nasty one to sort out. FWIW the seals on the bearings I removed were un-marked and the replacement SKF bearing had markings on the seals. Not sure that is conclusive of anything.

Pugrot

by Pugrot

Yeah I had same issue (non disc) and it got to the point I had to get a replacement rear axle from Carbon-Ti as even new bearings were a loose fit on the fretted axle.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

It would seem that the design of the Carbon Ti hubs cannot tolerate any slop at all in the bearing axle interface. I think they could be a little more forthcoming with information about this problem. They seem to always respond with advice to follow their video instructions for setting the pre-load which will do nothing to solve this particular problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com