Best clincher tyres

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
jlok

by jlok

If you want a pointed profile for faster/easier turn in, get P-Zero Race. Lot's of fun in technical descends. Bewarned: Dry surface only.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

froze

by froze

eucalyptus wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:49 pm
juliank wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:42 pm
eucalyptus wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:39 am
Pirelli P-zero race > Conti GP5000
Why though? BRR shows the 26mm being about 2 1/2W slower than the GP5000 in 25mm; and 1W slower than the P-zero race 4S, so what makes them nicer for you?
Real world environment I doubt P-zero race is slower than GP5000 in the same width.

Super easy to put on/off (important in case of puncture on the field). Fantastic puncture protection, ridden all sorts of gravel with zero issues. One, if not the lightest tire in the category (Maxxis high roller does not count).

Pirelli is used in Formula 1 so really a no brainer not to do the same.
I doubt in the real world there would be any noticeable difference in wattage used by any of the top 15 tires, which is why pro cyclists ride a variety of brands, because they ride what they get for free.

An easy-on tire is NOT what you want, because an easy-on tire means it's an easy-off tire in the event of a flat while riding.

Formula 1 car tires are not even remotely the same, do you ride a bike? To equate any car tire manufacturer with having good bicycle tires is just plain ignorance, so no, it's not a no-brainer.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

froze wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:03 pm
An easy-on tire is NOT what you want, because an easy-on tire means it's an easy-off tire in the event of a flat while riding.
Indeed. Only in cycling does it seem that some people want a safety critical component such as a tyre to be less safe.
Also the only member of the GP5000 family I ever had a problem with fitting was the TL and that's been discontinued for a few years now. The rest have all gone on with hands only onto many different rims.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

CampagYOLO wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:14 pm
froze wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:03 pm
Indeed. Only in cycling does it seem that some people want a safety critical component such as a tyre to be less safe.
Also the only member of the GP5000 family I ever had a problem with fitting was the TL and that's been discontinued for a few years now. The rest have all gone on with hands only onto many different rims.
Agreed. The arguments for easy on
tyres seem totally out of touch with how safety critical tyres are.

I feel better if I *need* to use levers to put a tyre on for the first time. If it goes on too easily then I'm afraid it'd come off the rim in the event of a blowout. Tyres stretch and loosen up once mounted, so a new tyre should be a tight fit.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Mocs123 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:01 am
I'd say the Continental GP5000's are the best combination of speed and durability. I've tried a lot of the other options (though not the Power Cups). Currently I'm back on tubeless, but go back and forth between tubeless and clincers with latex tubes.
Power Cup is essentially the same in performance and way better in riding feel.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

froze wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:30 am
Most of the better tires don't come in a 30, but only in a 28, something to consider.
Labeled width doesn't matter. Measured width does, and Power Cups are oversized for example.

froze

by froze

BigBoyND wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:13 am
froze wrote:
Most of the better tires don't come in a 30, but only in a 28, something to consider.
Labeled width doesn't matter. Measured width does, and Power Cups are oversized for example.
Right, but I can't measure all those tires, can you? maybe you can do it for us.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

froze wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:48 pm
BigBoyND wrote:
froze wrote:
Right, but I can't measure all those tires, can you? maybe you can do it for us.
Power Cups and GP5000 in particular have all the measured widths on a plethora of wheel widths in WW threads. So while I can't measure them all myself, I can read those posts. That's how I choose my tire sizes.

Cranzai

by Cranzai

Recently I switched from simple alloy rims, butyl innertubes and P-Zero Road (28mm) to Scope R4 (19mm internal), Schwalbe Aerothan and GP5000 28mm.
Although it is perhaps a bit of an apples to pears comparision I would say that the GP5000 is simply a very solid tyre but does not really excel anywhere for me... With the P-Zero Road I had a wonderful lively grippy feeling in the dry, their poor wet weather grip lead me to ditch them however.
The Conti's feel much more the same in dry/wet conditions but somehow I feel like I miss a bit of suppleness (I run 4.3/4.8 bar @ 65kg) they are in any case less lively than the Pirelli's.

How do the Michelin Power Cup compare to the GP5000 in terms of wet weather grip?

eins4eins

by eins4eins

froze wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
froze wrote:
is that you're account in the signature?

MarcFaFo

by MarcFaFo

froze wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
froze wrote:
et voila viewtopic.php?f=132&t=175054&start=15

6fu

by 6fu

Veloflex corsas. Handmade Italian tyres that sell for about the same price as Michelin/conti. Supreme suppleness and solid thread coverage.

petje891

by petje891

Second that, veloflex tires ride so smooth. I only find them a bit sketchy with rain combined with cold temperatures.
Giant TCR Advanced 2021 - 6.8 kg

CringeKing

by CringeKing

Talk me out of buying a pair of Veloflex Corsa EVO in 32mm, clincher version. I want a clincher 30/32 mm, fastish rolling gum wall tire (the yellowy version of gum wals, not the dark version as Schwalbe for example).
GP5000's dont come with gum walls for this width, only the TLR versions of AllSeason's. Vittoria only make TL versions of the Pro's and the threads of the older G 2.0 seem to cut easily. Michelin also dont make gum wall Power cups in this width.
The Veloflex seems as the best choice, but i have some doubts as durability goes. Are there any other alternatives ?

I come from 28 mm GP5000's with TPU tubes, on 21mm internal width rims
Last edited by CringeKing on Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toxin

by toxin

The formula 1 thing is just meaningless. Pirelli has the contract because they're the only ones willing to make tyres that don't last very long