Best clincher tyres

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

Hi, I'm looking to order a new set of 30c tyres I generally use GP5000s and when not available iv used Schwalbe pro ones in the past. Is there anything else worth looking at these days? And out of these 2 would you stick with the GP5000?
My roads a pretty poor really but the GP5000 hold up pretty well just have the odd little slice in my current ones, I rarely get a puncture prob once a year.
On a side note they've doubled in price since my last set 😡
Don't think I can bring myself to try tubeless although my wheels are set up for this with no access holes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

macwatt

by macwatt

Much prefer the ride feel of Michelin Power Cup clinchers compared to GP5000's. On my Roval Rapide's CLX's with 21mm internal Power Cup 28mm will measure 1-1.5mm wider than GP5000's. Power Cups can be purchased at a lower price than GP5000's and I have found no downsides to using them eg speed, rolling resistance, puncture protection and grip levels.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Agree with the Power Cups, they're the best tube type tyres I've used. As they do size up bigger than the rest a 28mm should be fine and you'll save a bit of weight! (This is weight weenies after all)

I'm originally from Tavistock and still ride a lot round there so know the condition of your local roads well. The Power Cups will be fine.

rockb

by rockb

I went from GP5000 to Power Cups and not looking back. They roll so much smoother and feel super fast.

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

Thanks will look into these seem a good price too. I know it's weight weenies but my 95kg body weight makes more difference then 28-30c tyres 😂
Run a 24&25mm int rims so they blow out a fair bit

MagicShite

by MagicShite

the power cups have narrow tread width.

If you rail corners a lot it's not advisable to run them with modern wide rims.

IMO, for clinchers, nothing beats the GP5k. They are simply the best.

daninplymouth

by daninplymouth

MagicShite wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:34 pm

This would be my only concern the bike does feel noticeabley more twitchy on 28mm rather than 30s and is no faster so would like to keep the larger size really. Just seen the tubeless version of these is pretty cheap so tempted to try them as they do that in a 30mm. All I'd need is valves and sealant isn't it as my rim bed has no spoke holes already

req110

by req110

rockb wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:47 am
I went from GP5000 to Power Cups and not looking back. They roll so much smoother and feel super fast.
What is the exact model name please?
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

froze

by froze

daninplymouth wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:32 pm
MagicShite wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:34 pm

This would be my only concern the bike does feel noticeabley more twitchy on 28mm rather than 30s and is no faster so would like to keep the larger size really. Just seen the tubeless version of these is pretty cheap so tempted to try them as they do that in a 30mm. All I'd need is valves and sealant isn't it as my rim bed has no spoke holes already
It's not normally a concern, it will take about an hour of riding to get used to the feeling of narrower tires, but 2mm should not be causing any noticeable twitchiness, so maybe the design of the tread is doing that. The only time I feel twitchiness is when I've been riding my touring bike that has 38s but actually 41c wide for a few days then jump on my regular road bike that has 25c tires, then it feels twitchy for an hour at the most. But if I ride my RV camping bike with 23s for a few days and then jump on my road bike with 25s I feel no twitchiness. So I can only conclude that it's the tread pattern causing the twitchy feeling, but even with that conclusion, none of my tires on any of my road bikes have the same tread pattern and nothing odd is experienced.

froze

by froze

Best tires? I don't race so I don't care which are the best, I simply look for higher-end tires on sale and screw a certain brand and model.

Amazon has Continental Grand Prix 5000 Folding Tires - Road Race - 2 Tires 700x30c Black for $104.99 for the pair. This is the best price I could find anywhere right now on tires.

Most of the better tires don't come in a 30, but only in a 28, something to consider.

Also if you can wait, the next bigger sale time is September (2nd week) for huge discounts on tires; as well as the day before Thanksgiving to Black Friday.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I'd say the Continental GP5000's are the best combination of speed and durability. I've tried a lot of the other options (though not the Power Cups). Currently I'm back on tubeless, but go back and forth between tubeless and clincers with latex tubes.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Pirelli P-zero race > Conti GP5000

juliank

by juliank

eucalyptus wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:39 am
Why though? BRR shows the 26mm being about 2 1/2W slower than the GP5000 in 25mm; and 1W slower than the P-zero race 4S, so what makes them nicer for you?

rockb

by rockb

req110 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:53 am
rockb wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:47 am
What is the exact model name please?
MICHELIN Power Cup Competition 700C x 28 Road Tyre Classic 700C x 28
The tube versions don't have the problem with the too narrow thread, I run them with RideNow TPUs. Maybe the GP 5000 are a bit more aero bc of the profile pattern, but in every other aspect the Michelins are the better tires. In my opinion, ofc ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

juliank wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:42 pm
eucalyptus wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:39 am
Why though? BRR shows the 26mm being about 2 1/2W slower than the GP5000 in 25mm; and 1W slower than the P-zero race 4S, so what makes them nicer for you?
Real world environment I doubt P-zero race is slower than GP5000 in the same width.

Super easy to put on/off (important in case of puncture on the field). Fantastic puncture protection, ridden all sorts of gravel with zero issues. One, if not the lightest tire in the category (Maxxis high roller does not count).

Pirelli is used in Formula 1 so really a no brainer not to do the same.