New Rovals?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
C36

by C36

toxin wrote:Wide spokes are nothing special, the main benefit of carbon spokes is weight reduction
No weight is a nice consequence. The real benefit is the significantly higher stiffness (even gaining weight). The challenge is having a rim that supports enough tension so the spokes do not come totally slacked (being stiffer it also means that a smaller vertical deformation at the rim leads to higher tension drop compared to a SS spoke).
Hunt chased weight reduction and delivered a flexible wheel, they got it quite wrong. Cadex and Winspace (to talk about some early adopters of traditionally laced carbon spokes) did bring significant stiffness increase.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toxin

by toxin

But stiffness on its own wasn't really a problem if you had enough spokes. If we weren't chasing weight reductions we would have stuck with that.

C36

by C36

toxin wrote:But stiffness on its own wasn't really a problem if you had enough spokes. If we weren't chasing weight reductions we would have stuck with that.
I partially follow you there. Weight (and strength improvements) brought the Cx-ray as std spoke for high end wheels, that dropped stiffness and then aero dropped spoke count a bit.

But even with 28 spokes you would unlikely reach the stiffness of proper 21 carbon spokes. I asked a Chinese brand to build me a custom rear wheel exceeding 50N/mm and they failed even with 28 spokes.

JT508

by JT508

Hello,

any updates on ETA? or more informations about release?

thank you

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Carbon spoked wheel is stiffer, but that also means less comfort. Also carbon spokes are generally less aero compared to flat steel spokes.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

JayDee81 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:52 pm
Also carbon spokes are generally less aero compared to flat steel spokes.
Is it tested that way?
Peak Torque on YouTube found CRW 5060 to be really really aero. That's with 34mm wide 50mm deep front wheel. It's more aero than many deeper wheels.

My guess is it's due to 2 reasons:
1) Carbon spokes are so stiff so you don't need a lot of it. CRW have 16 spokes front instead of usual 24 spokes. Less spokes is more aero.
2) The oversized type of carbon spokes which require special hub is really deep.
Normal steel aero blade spokes are 0.95mm wide and 2mm deep.
My Light-Bicycle carbon spokes are 1.8mm wide and a whopping 4.5mm deep.
It has even more depth to width ratio than steel bladed spokes.
We all know deep wheels are more aero. Full disc wheel is more aero. Deeper profile spokes which fill more void in the wheel hole could steer aerodynamic towards this direction as well.

Still, I'm not a wind tunnel. So I don't really know.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:49 pm
JayDee81 wrote:
Is it tested that way?
Peak Torque on YouTube found CRW 5060 to be really really aero. That's with 34mm wide 50mm deep front wheel. It's more aero than many deeper wheels.

1) Carbon spokes are so stiff so you don't need a lot of it. CRW have 16 spokes front instead of usual 24 spokes. Less spokes is more aero.
2) The oversized type of carbon spokes which require special hub is really deep.
We all know deep wheels are more aero. Full disc wheel is more aero. Deeper profile spokes which fill more void in the wheel hole could steer aerodynamic towards this direction as well.

Curious to know what alanyu thinks about this, he did mention fat carbon spokes are less aero.

I think I recalled Kirito sharing the same sentiment somewhere on weibo.

Depth obviously isn't the main indicator of aeroness, if not the old mavic ksyriums wouldn't have been so shite with their aluminum thick spokes. They need to have a good shape/profile to it.

alanyu

by alanyu

MagicShite wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:00 pm
Hexsense wrote:
JayDee81 wrote:
Is it tested that way?

Curious to know what alanyu thinks about this, he did mention fat carbon spokes are less aero.

Depth obviously isn't the main indicator of aeroness, if not the old mavic ksyriums wouldn't have been so shite with their aluminum thick spokes. They need to have a good shape/profile to it.
Yes, several points.

1. CX-ray and Aerolite II have better shape/profile, fusiform vs. rounded rectangle of carbon spoke.

2. Frontal width: CX-ray 0.9 mm, Aerolite II 0.7 mm. Carbon 0.9-1.6 mm based on different models, but the thinner the worse lateral stiffness, and it can be worse than steel spoke. (T700s composite with resin has a smaller modulus than SS302)

3. Endside. Carbon spoke has beefier cylinder part, and it's usually longer.

Can less carbon spokes conpensate the aeroness? 4, I don't think so, but 8 probably yes if they don't use too fat ones.

JayDee81

by JayDee81

What alanyu said. Carbon spokes are less aero, but it can probably be compensated by having fewer such spokes. The question is what's the threshold.

tmrace

by tmrace

My local shop knows nothing about new wheels. Has anyone heard anything different from somewhere else?

cajer

by cajer

alanyu wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:39 pm
MagicShite wrote:
Hexsense wrote:
JayDee81 wrote:
Is it tested that way?

Yes, several points.

1. CX-ray and Aerolite II have better shape/profile, fusiform vs. rounded rectangle of carbon spoke.

2. Frontal width: CX-ray 0.9 mm, Aerolite II 0.7 mm. Carbon 0.9-1.6 mm based on different models, but the thinner the worse lateral stiffness, and it can be worse than steel spoke. (T700s composite with resin has a smaller modulus than SS302)

Can less carbon spokes conpensate the aeroness? 4, I don't think so, but 8 probably yes if they don't use too fat ones.
Aerolite 2 seems to have much better shaping + thickness. Is it possible to get those to build into off the shelf hubs.

alanyu

by alanyu

cajer wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:23 am
alanyu wrote:
MagicShite wrote:
Hexsense wrote:

Is it tested that way?

Yes, several points.

Aerolite 2 seems to have much better shaping + thickness. Is it possible to get those to build into off the shelf hubs.
Possible if you are willing to do a bit reaming. Shelf hubs usually don't have large enough spoke holes. Also Aerolite 2 has less stiffness (lateral and torsional) than CX ray.

cajer

by cajer

alanyu wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:27 am
cajer wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:23 am
alanyu wrote:
MagicShite wrote:

Yes, several points.

Possible if you are willing to do a bit reaming. Shelf hubs usually don't have large enough spoke holes. Also Aerolite 2 has less stiffness (lateral and torsional) than CX ray.
How dangerous is that? As it seems that area in hubs should be a highly stressed part with stress concentrators in the form of holes

alanyu

by alanyu

cajer wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:30 pm
alanyu wrote:

How dangerous is that? As it seems that area in hubs should be a highly stressed part with stress concentrators in the form of holes
It will be highly risky on light hubs such as carbon ti/extralite/etc, but it's OK to ream the holes (along the wide direction of aerolite II) on "heavy" hubs with beefy flange.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cajer

by cajer

alanyu wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:49 pm
cajer wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:30 pm
alanyu wrote:

It will be highly risky on light hubs such as carbon ti/extralite/etc, but it's OK to ream the holes (along the wide direction of aerolite II) on "heavy" hubs with beefy flange.
Yea that makes sense. Have you done this before? Also will the newer DT swiss T-head spoked hubs take aerolite 2 without reaming? Finally I did a quick search and can't even find anywhere to buy aerolite 2 spokes.