Terrible experience building with aluminum spoke nipples...about to try Gallium to dissolve a broken one

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ppg677

by ppg677

So several people here warned about how terrible Aluminum spoke nipples are. I went weight weenie and didn't listen. What a mistake that was.

Instead I tried building carbon wheels with Sapim PolyAx aluminum nipples.

I bought a 4-sided Park spoke wrench.

Front wheel is successfully built after deforming about 4-5 nipples. Trying to get tension higher than 110 kgf causes them to deform even with the 4-sided wrench. I applied anti-sieze grease to the threads.

In the rear I tossed the towel and started replacing drive-side nipples with brass.

One fricking broke on me leaving the Sapim cx-sprint spoke under tension and threaded but with no way to remove/replace the nipple without cutting the spoke. And then I have to source another spoke which will take many days.

But you know what? I have a piece of Gallium metal that would quickly dissolve the aluminum (presumably causing it to easily break).

Gallium can also harm steel, but supposedly only at higher temps and takes much longer.

The real question is can it harm carbon fiber and I think the answer to that is No. Gallium is stored in plastic...doesn't react with it. I think I'm gonna do it...

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

The only way to build appropriately with aluminum nipples is to use hex nipples like DT hex lock with a 5.5mm nut driver from the underside. Using spoke wrenches on them does not work as you have found out. Sucks man.... sorry to hear.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

And its not operator mechanic mistake ?

Got 3 wheelset from China with Pillar anodized alu nipples (Sapim CX ray spokes), no issues after still a few years.. Had my pro wheelbuilder balance and measure each spoke and he had no problems working on these wheels. Never had a nipple or spoke break.

I am surpised you dont have spare spokes when building wheels. I always ask for at least 4 extra spokes just in case shit would go bad.

robertbb

by robertbb

Hard lessons are often the best lessons...

We told you so.

Sorry not sorry.

kervelo

by kervelo

ppg677 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:15 am
...I applied anti-sieze grease to the threads...
Did you apply lubricant to the rim holes too (or to the nipple part that contacts the rim hole)?

ppg677

by ppg677

kervelo wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:23 am
ppg677 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:15 am
...I applied anti-sieze grease to the threads...
Did you apply lubricant to the rim holes too (or to the nipple part that contacts the rim hole)?
Yes a little anti-sieze grease there as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ppg677

by ppg677

The Gallium did the trick. Applied a little dab to the busted/rounded nipple. 10 minutes later I hear the "pop". Replaced with brass. Good riddance.

No idea how the "pros" do it. I've built about a dozen set of wheels before.