Superlight Nextie 'wave' rims

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
RDY

by RDY

https://www.nextie.com/road-CRX-AW-series

430g for a 65 and 345g for a 45 is extremely light. Hooked and 22mm internal, 28mm external at the edge of the hook, 31mm max width.

Not sure how long ago they launched, but recently.

Anyone tried them? It's tempting to go for 45s as a climbing wheelset ... they'd be really light. I wish they'd gone something like 23/30/33 re: width though. Albeit I guess that would have been a little heavier.

They don't cite a weight limit, but there must be one.

Edit: maybe the 65 is the most interesting one. I could drop 90g over my also-Nextie 65 ARX rear. Though I'm sure the 'wave' profile is significantly less aero.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

99% sure there is a 90 kg or 100kg weight limit on those, probably 90kg.

How on earth can 21/30mm wide 45mm rims be 345 gram !!! Wow! Must be top 3 worlds lightest. They ride like noodles or what?

I have 21/28 and 45mm rims from Timetecbike at ish 400g and they are not the stiffest but fine, 100kg weight limit.

If they hold true and safe to ride, then go for it!

toxin

by toxin

Rims contribute almost nothing to wheel stiffness, it's all spokes and hubs

jayjay

by jayjay

What is the point of this wave structure?

RDY

by RDY

jayjay wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:46 am
Marketing. Like every other purveyor of them. But the weight is the point of these, as far as I'm concerned.

usr

by usr

jayjay wrote:
Zip claims better separation of flow where the tie is the leading edge. The point where air is "undecided" between staying attached and detaching is a big contributor to drag, you want to have a clean end of attachedness. This is why the backsides of cars are either super smooth or a clear edge.

With the rotating movement of a wheel, stationary on the ground, double speed at the top and something oddly in between everywhere else the waves will cause a sharper separation in the upper front quadrant and not much difference in the lower front quadrant because there it's so close to stationary, at some cost of effectively blunter angles in the upper rear quadrant. Wheel aerodynamics is complicated, because they part goes through so many directions relative to the air. Just remember how long it took to discover that U-profiles are better than V-profiles.

Are those actually faster or just hand-wavy "we have something the others don't have (except zipp)"? Impossible to predict. Zipp has not steamrolled the market in the years since they introduced their wavy wheel buy they also haven't ccompletely disappeared, so I suspect that it's a wash.

Aeo

by Aeo

EIE 40mm deep rim is at 350 grams in the UL version: https://www.eiecarbon.com/goods/details/ARG40TC30
Asymmetric, 1 mm wider internally, more traditional appearance, same price

EIE "weight limit" 120 kg
Nextie "load limit" 110 kg (per wheel)
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

RDY

by RDY

Aeo wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:12 am
EIE 40mm deep rim is at 350 grams in the UL version: https://www.eiecarbon.com/goods/details/ARG40TC30

I don't think asymmetric is desirable on road wheels, and when I asked EIE about other rims in the past they confirmed that the weight limit was lower for UL versions.

ms6073

by ms6073

RDY wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:53 am
I don't think asymmetric is desirable on road wheels, and when I asked EIE about other rims in the past they confirmed that the weight limit was lower for UL versions.
While I have not put the wheels in the wind tunnel and certainly not an apples-to-apples comparison to the EIE rims, but desite the wheels being a bit long in the tooth, I have not had any issues with my wheelset built on Nox Composite Falkor 36D asymmetric rims.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

RDY

by RDY

I'm sure I remember reading that asymmetric was a disaster from an aero perspective. Hence usually only being used on MTB. But maybe the article was wrong. Oddly Nextie also did these wave ones in asymetric first in a heavier layup.
Last edited by RDY on Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alanyu

by alanyu

RDY wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:06 pm
I'm sure I remember reading that asymmetric was a disaster from an aero perspective. Hence usually only being used on MTB. But maybe the article was wrong
Only if you descend crazy, it will create some small but noticeable force pushing you aside.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

usr wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:50 pm
jayjay wrote:
Zip claims better separation of flow where the tie is the leading edge.
And what they hopefully don't claim is that it's faster. The few wind tunnel tests I've seen for both depths, all show the standard NSW was faster than the wavy one.

jlok

by jlok

RDY wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:53 am
Aeo wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:12 am

I guess asym design probably helps shallow rims like 25-30mm more than deeper rims, to increase the spoke bracing angle on the DS. Aero is of lower priority for shalow rims.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

usr

by usr

BigBoyND wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:34 am
usr wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:50 pm
jayjay wrote:
Zip claims better separation of flow where the tie is the leading edge.
And what they hopefully don't claim is that it's faster. The few wind tunnel tests I've seen for both depths, all show the standard NSW was faster than the wavy one.
Non-wavy NSW? I see nothing but wavy on their site when I click the NSW filter. But the way I read their portfolio is they have moved to a parallel universe where Zipp buyers choose a price point within the portfolio not considering any other brand, and other potential buyers don't really exist. Better to keep selling the snake-oil as long as there are still buyers than admitting that the snake-oil isn't actually that good, by topping the line with an objectively faster but plain wheel. Can't really blame them, they (unknowingly?) put themselves in a tight spot before actual wind tunnel tests became common and now they can't really change their past.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Oh you're right. I didn't notice they discontinued the NSW 404 and 808. But the statement holds true for Firecrest. The NSW is more expensive and slower.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com