DTSwiss ERC 1400 45mm vs Roval Rapide CLII vs Reserve 40/44 , or another?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
fulton

by fulton

Hey guys.

I'm looking for an allround wheelset in 40-maybe 50 mm range for a 82 kg rider on my new Agree C62 bike (9 kg without water ready for ride). I ride on flat in 96%. Now my comfortable average speed is 30-32 km/h (It's better a little in the summer) /The average of the whole ride./
I cycle for pleasure, not training. last year 11.2K km. distance.
My budget is around kb.1500 EUR
Now, I ride on Fulcrum racing 400 (33 deep) but would love a little more depth, (more speed etc..)
I ride outdoors every month of the year.
Szél változó: 5-30km/h (széllökések nagyobbak)
I will use them with 28mm tires that's why I prefer a hooked rim, maybe tubeless one day...

Would you choose?

-DT Swiss ERC 1400 - (DT240 hub) ("This is mostly what is in my the crosshair.") Do you think the switch would be worth it, would there be a noticeable advantage in all respects?

-Roval Rapide CL II (DT350 hub) (I'm a little afraid that the ride won't be smooth in windy weather)

-Reserve 40/44 (DT350 hub)

Thank you.

alanashd

by alanashd

Can't comment for other wheels, but got older gen ERC 1100 in 47mm depth with 240 hubs I love them. As an 65kg rider deeper wheels are always bit sketchy to me, but ERC 1100 is managebale even on very windy days for me. Ratched sounds nice, wheels look cool with internal nipples, ceramic bearings dead after few pressure washes, but I've replaced them with steel enduro bearings no problems, hub engagement is fast also, might upgrade to 54T this season also. They survived deep potholes multiple times, rough roads and lots of gravel racing on Tarmac SL7 lol.
Specialized Tarmac SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NordicSal

by NordicSal

I second that about the old gen, also love mine.

Xabi

by Xabi

I ride 45mm Dt erc 1400 and feel that they are more stable than my 35mm u shape carbon wheels and alumium zondas. Probably it's width makes them stable in crosswinds.

fulton

by fulton

Xabi wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:32 am
I ride 45mm Dt erc 1400 and feel that they are more stable than my 35mm u shape carbon wheels and alumium zondas. Probably it's width makes them stable in crosswinds.
thanks for the replies so far. And what do you think of the wheel in terms of its speed?

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

I have the ARC1400 DiCut I bought last year and 62.5mm deep. In cross winds they're pretty darn good for their depth. That's not to say a 30mph gust doesn't move you around a bit, it does/can but it's not bad at all.
The current 1400's are fairly wide. The problem I have with the ERC is the external width is too narrow. I think the Roval Rapide CLII is 30 or 32mm wide external width? I'd go with those. Roval wheels are excellent, that wider external width will allow to run a 28mm tire and that'll be an optimal setup on that wheel. Should be great balance between speed and comfort.

xiyuwang

by xiyuwang

I‘d go for ERC. I personally don't own ERC because I went for ARC 1100 previously. But 45mm ERC is indeed on my consideration list, and even considering buying them along with ARC because ERC is wider.

DT's aren't really on the lighter side mostly because of the rim is rather heavy in comparisons. But you can count on their spoke building quality and over build quality. 240 hub as you know, is simply reliable and a pleasure to use.

IMO, 1400 might be actually more cost effective compared to 1100 because 240 hub is stronger, and more durable.

Xabi

by Xabi

fulton wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:53 am
Xabi wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:32 am
thanks for the replies so far. And what do you think of the wheel in terms of its speed?
Can't comment about it, made some personal records and higher AVG speeds with less power that usual... But I moved from very dirty chains to wax at the same time. Despite being endurance they feel harsher than my "racy" 35s, you have to be picky to feel it but I can feel some bumps that I didn't feel before I switched to 45s

xiyuwang

by xiyuwang

If you cannot consistently ride above 35kph, speed differences between different wheel depths (I am 50mm vs 60mm) are really really small. It is more about what tire you use, and what is the tire pressure you choose to run at that specific day.
Based on my own experience, DT's wheel feels stiffer and smoother than my zipp 404. Yet my PB is achieved with 404. The feel of riding is not the same thing as speed, you might feel 'faster' on certain wheels, but hard to really say which one is 100% faster.
So if you really ask which wheel is 'faster', it will end up being really subjective.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

I own a set of Zipp 404's and recently a set of GRC1400's (the wider, hookless variant of the ERC). They don't really compare in my opinion. The DT Swiss definitely feels slower and more heavy duty. The DT's benefits are obviously the width (19c vs 24c) and less prone to winds. The 42mm is perfect whereas the Zipp's can be a bit sketchy in decents or 4 Bft. or higher winds.

Quality wise I would rate them the same. The Zipps are also sturdy built, but even though they weigh the same (1.610g for the FC404 in rimbrake vs 1.610g of the GRC1400), the DT Swiss's feel more sluggish and bombproof with less aerobenefits. This is likely also due to having to add the discs and 30c vs 25c tyre weight, which puts them much above the rim brake wheels.

I like them both, but same as you I have few ambitions for speed (82kg and 13k kilometers last year) so currently prefer the wider and lower rim. The Zipp's are still fun (the noise when accelerating and better at holding high speeds) and suitable for most everyday riding, but I now prefer a do-it-all set where you don't have to think about.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

theOrtherion

by theOrtherion

I have the current gen ERC 1400 in 45mm depth and wouldn't trade them for anything. These are really confortabke and really perfect in crosswinds. I never feel the wind on the bike with these wheels. On the other hand I have a pair of prime primavera 56 that are trying to kill me 80% of the time the other 20 I can feel the sail effect that is something I can't feel on the dt swiss.

onetwo4

by onetwo4

I haven't had a chance to ride the others on here but I have about 6000mi on the Reserve 40/44s and absolutely love them. They are extremely stable in crosswinds for their depth and climb really well. They are tuly an amazing all-round wheelset.

The wide internal allows you to run some narrower and lighter tires that end up with a wider width as measured so you can somewhat eek out a little advantage on weight there. 28mm tire stated blows up to ~30mm and 30mm stated width blows up to ~32mm (depending on tire of course).

These wheels have a wide external width and keeps you within rule of 105 in most cases. Also a hooked rim for all the tire options.

I cannot fault these wheels for much, really. I am sure you would be very pleased with them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beebsta

by Beebsta

28 mm Continental GP 5000 clinchers @ 5.5 psi are 29 mm WAM on ERC 1100/1400 rims. Considering the rim is 28.5 mm external width, this creates a smooth transition from tire to rim. Not sure how relevant is the 105 rule, considering DT Swiss + SwissSide experience with rims and aerodynamic and their statement that this is a rim optimized for 28 mm, I think they might know better.