Recommendations for Rim Brake rims

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bsbs273

by bsbs273

I am looking to build a a set of rim brake wheels with some hubs I have from a previous wheelset. I have been looking at BTLOS and Lightbicycle and wanted to know if there are any others I should take a look at? Looking for 45-50 deep with a good brake track.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EugeneC

by EugeneC

Nextie, Farsports, Eie Carbon. Lots out there. They probably all come from the same mold. I don't think it matters much which one you choose.

bsbs273

by bsbs273

EugeneC wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:24 pm
Nextie, Farsports, Eie Carbon. Lots out there. They probably all come from the same mold. I don't think it matters much which one you choose.
True. I was more concerned with the hubs and the spokes initially. Ill have a look at these other brands. Thanks

satanas

by satanas

Some of those companies might share some molds but if you look at the cross-section drawings posted on their sites it's quickly apparent that they're not all the same, at least for LB, Nextie and BTLOS; I haven't looked much at others.

MrB123

by MrB123

Something with the grooved, ultra tough brake tracks, e.g. the Light Bicycle graphene ones or the Farsports equivalent ( HMX?)

EugeneC

by EugeneC

bsbs273 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:23 pm
EugeneC wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:24 pm
True. I was more concerned with the hubs and the spokes initially. Ill have a look at these other brands. Thanks
I haven't checked them all out recently. But don't most of them offer several hub options? DT, Chris King, White Industries and a couple of the asian options as well?

satanas

by satanas

FWIW, Light Bicycle recently vastly increased their available hub options, with just about anything available by special order.

bsbs273

by bsbs273

I really would like a rear build with 28h. I'm not the heaviest 81kg, but when im out of the saddle or cllmbing I get a lot of flex and rub in the back. So I was going to probably buy the rims and hubs seperately and have a local builder build them up .

AndreLM

by AndreLM

bsbs273 wrote:I really would like a rear build with 28h. I'm not the heaviest 81kg, but when im out of the saddle or cllmbing I get a lot of flex and rub in the back. So I was going to probably buy the rims and hubs seperately and have a local builder build them up .
If you want a suggestion from another 80kg rider, building with CX sprint spokes in the back helps a lot in building a stiffer rear wheel.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

bsbs273

by bsbs273

AndreLM wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:47 pm
bsbs273 wrote:I really would like a rear build with 28h. I'm not the heaviest 81kg, but when im out of the saddle or cllmbing I get a lot of flex and rub in the back. So I was going to probably buy the rims and hubs seperately and have a local builder build them up .
If you want a suggestion from another 80kg rider, building with CX sprint spokes in the back helps a lot in building a stiffer rear wheel.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I was looking into doing this as well. Thanks

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

You don't need 28 hole for carbon rims no matter the circumstances. Your weight or power won't necessitate it. Carbon rims are insanely stiff and except for sometimes radial trueness problems practically build themselves. Brake rub is spoke thickness and build tension related. I think it is a great idea to buy the rims and take them to a wheel builder. You will get a better quality wheel.
I recommend LB Falcon Pro AR x-flow series. I have been really impressed with these rims.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

bsbs273

by bsbs273

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:59 pm
You don't need 28 hole for carbon rims no matter the circumstances. Your weight or power won't necessitate it. Carbon rims are insanely stiff and except for sometimes radial trueness problems practically build themselves. Brake rub is spoke thickness and build tension related. I think it is a great idea to buy the rims and take them to a wheel builder. You will get a better quality wheel.
I recommend LB Falcon Pro AR x-flow series. I have been really impressed with these rims.
Good to know. The 28h option seemed to be quite limiting in regards to a lot of hubs.

toxin

by toxin

Nobody builds performance wheels with 28 spokes anymore

satanas

by satanas

^ You have heard of MTBs, right? :twisted:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com