454, 4.5 or RSL

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
srtlewis

by srtlewis

So here we go. Just sold my DT Swiss 65 prc-1400 wheels. I did enjoy them but they were very twitchy in the wind. I'm on an Madone SLR 6 so don't want to completely give up aero.. so in short looking for a balance.

I've settled on the following options:

Zipp 454 nsw. Love the weight savings from my old rims. I also like that I can put 25mm on them (probably won't but I like the option). I do own several other Zipp rims and have had a few hub issues, I can currently get these on a decent discount.

ENVE 4.5, like the hub and overall look.the depth is perfect, However they are very wide. I'm a bit concerned about running 28s on these for clearance issues. They also are about £300 more than the zipp.

Bontrager RSL. thinking of a 50/60 split. Not wild about OEM though if I ever sell the frame I don't think these will have the same resale (silly I know but a consideration). They are the cheapest option at £1000 less than ENVE or £700 less than zipp.

What ever I get will be my setup for the next 5-10 years (frame may change) so trying to strike a balance. Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.
2019 - Madone SLR 7.9 kg
2021 - Crux s-works 7.4 / 8kg road v gravel
2021 - Brompton P line … don’t ask

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Had a lot of wheels over the years, currently got a set of RSL51 and they are remarkable, hard to quantify but they feel great also the most stable wheel I've ridden at that depth. The RSL have DT swiss 240 hubs btw.

For reference, I've ridden the newest 303 and 404s but not the 454 - don't hear very good things about Zipp hubs though.

Never ridden Enve but have heard on the grapevine they aren't that stable in the wind - happy to be corrected as I haven't experienced them directly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

I had the Aeolus Pro 51 and just got the RSL 51 used. They are fantastic wheels: look great, a hair over 1400g for the pair, and the resale on them is not as bad as you think as they are known to be good wheels and are quite popular. I sold my Pro 51 and they're currently on a steel frame Standert, and will eventually be moved to another non-trek bike by my buddy. The last set of Aeolus I had on my old bike never gave me any trouble either. I think among the "stock brand" wheels they are some of the best if not the best you can get.

Also personal preference but I think the 51 are a little more appropriate depth looking for a Madone than the 62
IMG_3933.jpeg
2024 Madone SLR 9 (Ultegra) - 7.5kg-ish
2021 FUEL EX 9.9 AXS - Thicc

srtlewis

by srtlewis

This is just it. I like the ENVE but not sure if I like them 1k more. Also being from the US originally and now living in the UK I cannot get over the mark up.

For the price difference I could literally buy a pair of 62s and get a front 51. Still would have a bit of change left over.
Last edited by srtlewis on Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 - Madone SLR 7.9 kg

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Keep hearing such good things about the bontrager. Would be tempted to build some up on some tactics...
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

hannawald

by hannawald

If you have Trek Bontragers are no brainers. Proven hubs, best warranty, known for their aero (tested among the best in class) and stability, weight is among better wheels, they are hooked, they will look great on your bike. I wouldn´t care what you might want in 2 years. Zipp might have new model, Enve as well so your resale value is hard to expect. The cheaper you buy the less you loose later - expensive parts don´t keep their value.

xiyuwang

by xiyuwang

There are news about 454 having cracks, losing spoke tension over time, and weird noise from spokes. Plus, the latest cognition hub requires very frequent maintainence to keep having quick engagement. (Zipp is basically copying the star rachet of DT but using much less reliable way to re-engage the rachet, maybe due to patent reasons?) IMO, the weight saving of 454 is approaching the state that you are really trading safety/durability for some slight weightsavings. I would seriously doubt if 454 could last that long.

Other choices might be interesting for you: Dura Ace C50, DT ERC 1100 45mm, Campy Hyperon Ultra.

If you don't want twitchy handling, going for lower rim profile (45mm maybe?) solves the problem more than buying gimmicks like wavy rims. If you want durability, and preferrably long maintainence interval and low tool requirement, DT hubs are still the way to go (there are enve wheels built with DT hubs, right?).

srtlewis

by srtlewis

I must agree with all the above. I've already got a set of 303s and had hub issues. Sorted now but was pretty unimpressed by zipp's "lifetime" warranty.

My dt Swiss 65s had .... dt swisss 240 hubs and they were bulletproof. Now the ENVE have even gone to thier own style hub. I want to keep some aero aspects so hence leaning towards the 62 on the Rsl on the back.

Really this all started because my DTs were too narrow for 28mm (I cannot stress how poor the roads are in west /sw London) and the DT were coming in at 1680g which is a bit much.

Anyone on the RSL running 28mm. I think this is looking like the answer

The main thing is I'm trying to get the Madone to around 7.6 kg and useable in wider conditions and terrain. The crux is great but it's "all road" setup on 303s is with 34mm tyres so great but hardly fast, a different horse for a different course.
2019 - Madone SLR 7.9 kg

Nohands83

by Nohands83

I run a 28mm GP5K, they come up very close to 30mm, so not quite 105% rule but still within the external rim width of 31mm.

srtlewis

by srtlewis

Nohands83 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:14 pm
I run a 28mm GP5K, they come up very close to 30mm, so not quite 105% rule but still within the external rim width of 31mm.
Great. I mean to be fair if I change the frame set it will probably be to the Madone 7. Thanks for your advice
2019 - Madone SLR 7.9 kg

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

On my Pro 51 and RSL 51 both with a 23mm internal width, im measuring closer to 31. I am running the Transparent color which I believe has a different construction (tested slower than the black by BRR) and may also blow up differently to black. They ride very well, the RSL51 feels notably better than the Pro51 when it comes to response and the hubs sound fantastic.

And as someone mentioned above, the Bontragers are faster than ENVE. I got my set lightly used for $1200, keep your eyes open. If I had a non-TREK I'd be looking at Bontragers and Rovals as my only "stock" options and would pick either over Zipp or ENVE and not just due to price.

hannawald

by hannawald

Clincher 28C Conti 5000 tires are 31mm on my RSL51.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Bontrager produces fantastic carbon rims. Avoid the Pro versions however. Anything Aeolus d3, xxx, or RSL. I would and have picked them every time over Zipp or Enve, and I ride non-Trek frames. Believe this or not, but I would choose LB Falcon Pro series as a rim choice if you were having something handbuilt done.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

wheelbuilder wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:28 pm
Bontrager produces fantastic carbon rims. Avoid the Pro versions however. Anything Aeolus d3, xxx, or RSL. I would and have picked them every time over Zipp or Enve, and I ride non-Trek frames. Believe this or not, but I would choose LB Falcon Pro series as a rim choice if you were having something handbuilt done.
Anything inherently wrong with them or just bad value?

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

The finish quality, joints/seams, thickness variation and spoke holes are done better on Bontrager in my opinion. Keep in mind it's been a few years since I was immersed in this stuff, so things certainly may have changed, but from what I have seen, Bontrager carbon is done really well. Not to be thought of as a house brand. They should be out there as a stand-alone.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com