dlight vs laser spoke

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Crembz

by Crembz

I've been looking around for a comparison on Laser and Dlight spokes.

I've built several wheels using dlights. They were the first spoke I used in my first set of wheels simply because I thought that given my inexperience they would offer a larger margin for error if I calculated the spokes a little too long. The nipple can thread down past the threads on the spoke.

I've since build about 12 wheelsets using dlight spokes and brass nipples, all MTB wheels. Haven't had an issue with any of them.

I'm now build my first lightweight gravel bike wheelset. I'm using straightpull 24hole 2x hubs similar to DT240s. I weigh about 75kgs the carbon rims have a max tension of 130kgf and max weight of 100kg.

I'm debating whether or not I should try sapim lasers to save an extra 18g on the wheelset and alloy nipples to save a little more.

Has anyone got any recommendations on working with lasers and whether they are worth the effort? I've read about the potential of spoke windup and sapim don't recommend them for disc brake wheels.

ooo

by ooo

i don't like the idea of mixing alu nipples with non bladed spokes
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com