Bora Ultra 23s in the 60 - anyone ride em?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Anyone had a chance to ride em yet? I own the "old" Ultra 60s on my Venge and love em.. I have an SL8 frameset on order... contimplating the new Ultras for it, or going to Roval CLX2s to try them out... can currently get the new Ultra 60s for about $700 more than the CLX2s... I do need to change the freehub in the CLX to Campy since they come with shimano freehub... I also have no intentions on running anything more than a 26 tire.. I love my 25s on all my other wheels... btw, its one wheel or the other... I have zero interest in any other wheel brand.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nickldn

by Nickldn

New CLX due this year. I'd wait for that.

The new WTO, I'm puzzed...Would the 23mm IW rims work well with 25mm/26mm tyres like the GP5000S TR and Corsa Pro? Would these tyres be too wide for the 105% rule even with the WTO's new 29mm external width?

As for the CLX 35mm wide front rim, I'm concerned a 26mm tyre isn't wide to prevent damage from potholes/curbs. Fine it you only use smooth roads, but I'm sure it doesn't take much to chip the front rim badly. 28mm tyres are probably more practical with the CLX on most crappy roads.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Nickldn wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:01 pm
New CLX due this year. I'd wait for that.

The new WTO, I'm puzzed...Would the 23mm IW rims work well with 25mm/26mm tyres like the GP5000S TR and Corsa Pro? Would these tyres be too wide for the 105% rule even with the WTO's new 29mm external width?

As for the CLX 35mm wide front rim, I'm concerned a 26mm tyre isn't wide to prevent damage from potholes/curbs. Fine it you only use smooth roads, but I'm sure it doesn't take much to chip the front rim badly. 28mm tyres are probably more practical with the CLX on most crappy roads.
Ahhh good to know about the Rovals.. I was unaware of anything new... The front wider Roval was a concern for me.. our roads in Winnipeg on a good day look like they've been plastered by a B1 Bomber for potholes and such... Ive toasted a rear WTO 60 from hitting a pothole that was covered in water once.. saw it at the last second, front made it over, the rear wasnt so lucky.. On either set of wheels Id be running the newer 26 version of the Corsas...

alanyu

by alanyu

Care, if you are used to old 25c tyres such as GP4000/Pro one microskin/Corsa 1.0, new 26c Corsa will be narrower than them on a same wheel.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

alanyu wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:09 pm
Care, if you are used to old 25c tyres such as GP4000/Pro one microskin/Corsa 1.0, new 26c Corsa will be narrower than them on a same wheel.
Im using Grapene 2.0 25c on all current wheels (WTOs, WOTO Ultras, and Bora Ultra 50s)

cdez36

by cdez36

I love Campy wheels but as the other post mentioned, I don't understand why they are lagging so far behind on the 105% rule. I got rid of my old Ultras after switching to 28mm tires. I was really excited to hear about these and immediately wanted to buy some until I saw that they only had a 28.4mm external width. What are they thinking? With a 23mm internal width, any 28mm tire is going to balloon to 29+. And I wouldn't consider putting 25s or 26s on a 23mm internal. Campy says that these are optimized for 28mm tires...did they actually test these in the wind tunnel? Either Campy knows something that we don't and the 105% rule is invalid, but from everything I've read, having tires wider than your aero wheels is just as good as having a box section. So $4,000 for a box section wheel? No thanks. These need to be at least 30mm wide. I just don't understand what they were thinking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com