ENVE 4.5 and GP 5000 ST R lateral flex

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
srtlewis

by srtlewis

Hello, new to the forum. I am currently looking at the ENVE 4.5s from my DT SWISS 65s on my Madone. Just a quick question (and before anyone starts no I am not going to die with hookless rims, already running a set of 303 and wide gravel rims hookless and tubeless for years), how will clearance on the frame stack up? The Madone says max tyre is a 28mm but with a 32mm wide rim this may go up to 30mm. Also any flex may cause issues and obviously I don't want to damage the frame.

Anyone running similar ? Or would i be better off with the Zipp 454s? And yes once again have had zero issues on HL TL.

Thanks
2019 - Madone SLR 7.9 kg
2021 - Crux s-works 7.4 / 8kg road v gravel
2021 - Brompton P line … don’t ask

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertoguinn

by robertoguinn

Running Enve 4.5's on a 2020 Emonda SLR, which is supposed to have a max. tyre size of 30mm. Before I bought it, I brought my 4.5's into my LBS and put them on a stock bike, since I shared your concern. Measure the gap between your chainstays and fork. Trek is super conservative with the max tyre width recommendations to cover their dumper.

Currently using GP5K STR's with 28mm front and 30mm rear. Actual width is 30mm and 32mm respectively. Heaps of room, except my Di2 front deraileur wire is alarmingly close (~3mm) to the rear tyre. Previously I had 28mm's on both with heaps of room. Never noticed any rim flex, and it'd have to be massive (as in broken spoke[s]/rim) to even come close to the frame.
children trust me

srtlewis

by srtlewis

Thanks. I put my 303s with 32mm in just to see clearance. That is obviously an extreme example but it does clear the front fork and rear chain stay. As you noted it is REALLY close to the FR mech and the di2 cable. Hopefully with a little re jig here and there it will solve the issue.

I like the 4.5 s coming from my 65mm DT Swiss setup. The roads in south and west London/ Surrey are objectively awful so will appreciate the larger contact patch, lighter weight and should not be as sketchy in cross winds as I only weigh 73 kg
2019 - Madone SLR 7.9 kg
2021 - Crux s-works 7.4 / 8kg road v gravel
2021 - Brompton P line … don’t ask