Fixing(hiding) paint scratch on DT ARC 1100 wheels

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
xiyuwang

by xiyuwang

Got my Arc 1100 wheels and have ridden them for about half a year now. Recently checked the wheel surface and found all those scratches and water marks (cannot be removed even with some stronger cleaner). Does anyone know if DT actually painted the wheel rims or if it is just bare carbon I am looking at? Don't feel like this sort of 'damage' could affect anything, but it is visually annoying for sure.

View the images here: https://imgur.com/a/rqIdwgF

I admit these long scratches are because of my user error of mopping it without first washing off all the dirt. Other than that, no idea where those spots, etc. are coming from.

Also curious about whether Zipp puts paint on their 404 fc wheels. They seem to be a lot tougher against the environments I am putting them through. (mainly roads and some light gravel)

Does anyone have any idea about how to maybe fix or at least hide those scratches and marks?

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

e4rthm0ver

by e4rthm0ver

It’s semi gloss paint finish, I tried to „fix” some paint chips on my ERC1100 with clear coat, doesn’t look great but protects the carbon. Because it’s semi gloss polishing scratches doesn’t really help as more glossy part stands out more than scratches

If you were able to find paint to match that finish please let us know I considered emailing DT to get details about paint used but kind of forgot and kept riding and getting more nicks and scratches (I have +20k kms on those wheels)

hannawald

by hannawald

I think you can´t do anything with that reasonably. It is a paint finish but it´s not glossy so you can´t polish it. If you give it a professional painter they will need to dissasamble it, lightly sand the whole rims and apply new clear coat. It will look good but it won´t be 100 percent same shade and you will loose the warranty. From this perspective it is best to have glossy painted rims.
If you don´t mind loosing warranty and want to do it yourself, it would be best to lightly sand it, apply new 2K clear coat on damaged spots and polish and polish to unify the surface. But you will have difficulties to find a buyer once you decide to sell it later.

xiyuwang

by xiyuwang

e4rthm0ver wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:18 pm
It’s semi gloss paint finish, I tried to „fix” some paint chips on my ERC1100 with clear coat, doesn’t look great but protects the carbon. Because it’s semi gloss polishing scratches doesn’t really help as more glossy part stands out more than scratches Image

If you were able to find paint to match that finish please let us know Image I considered emailing DT to get details about paint used but kind of forgot and kept riding and getting more nicks and scratches (I have +20k kms on those wheels)
I emailed them already, no replies yet, and the info from them probably won't help as well. Found a guy who claim might be able to refurbish the paint on AliExpress, no confident on him tho. I'll probably just live with those scratches then.

hannawald

by hannawald

xiyuwang wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:54 pm
e4rthm0ver wrote:
It’s semi gloss paint finish, I tried to „fix” some paint chips on my ERC1100 with clear coat, doesn’t look great but protects the carbon. Because it’s semi gloss polishing scratches doesn’t really help as more glossy part stands out more than scratches Image

If you were able to find paint to match that finish please let us know Image I considered emailing DT to get details about paint used but kind of forgot and kept riding and getting more nicks and scratches (I have +20k kms on those wheels)
I emailed them already, no replies yet, and the info from them probably won't help as well. Found a guy who claim might be able to refurbish the paint on AliExpress, no confident on him tho. I'll probably just live with those scratches then.
It's not a difficult job for a professional painter, just slightly prepare the surface and apply clearcoat. But they won't catch exactly the same level of matt. It will look good but once you compare it with the original you can see there is a difference. So the manufacturer will deny any potential warranty application...
Well if he really takes time he can try different levels of glossyness and compare with the unpainted part but that will take much more time...my painters usually don't want to bother because of such a small job.
I wouldn't try to do it on your own because perfect matt surface is difficult to achieve with can sprays. 2k clear coat has proper durability but spray is not gentle enough to look good, you need proper painting guns. With gloss you can make good results at home because after painting you can repair all the problematic parts by polishing.

xiyuwang

by xiyuwang

hannawald wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:31 pm
xiyuwang wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:54 pm
e4rthm0ver wrote:

It's not a difficult job for a professional painter, just slightly prepare the surface and apply clearcoat. But they won't catch exactly the same level of matt. It will look good but once you compare it with the original you can see there is a difference. So the manufacturer will deny any potential warranty application...
Well if he really takes time he can try different levels of glossyness and compare with the unpainted part but that will take much more time...my painters usually don't want to bother because of such a small job.
I wouldn't try to do it on your own because perfect matt surface is difficult to achieve with can sprays. 2k clear coat has proper durability but spray is not gentle enough to look good, you need proper painting guns. With gloss you can make good results at home because after painting you can repair all the problematic parts by polishing.
Sounds reasonable, sadly such a painter is quite challenging to find here.

srtlewis

by srtlewis

Muc off silicone spray. They even make a matte version. Will not fix it but will make it less obvious/ seal it a bit between washing. I've got the same issue from rock strikes etc. but I really don't sweat it part of taking stuff on the road

I suspect the notches are from a strong degreaser. It can be enough to etch the lacquer, +1 for waxing
2019 - Madone SLR 7.9 kg
2021 - Crux s-works 7.4 / 8kg road v gravel
2021 - Brompton P line … don’t ask

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

I've been using Weldtite Rapid Ceramic on mine. Like the Muc Off stuff it doesn't fix it but it does mask it and if you build up the coating enough it should start to fill any scratches

xiyuwang

by xiyuwang

srtlewis wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:37 pm
Muc off silicone spray. They even make a matte version. Will not fix it but will make it less obvious/ seal it a bit between washing. I've got the same issue from rock strikes etc. but I really don't sweat it part of taking stuff on the road

I suspect the notches are from a strong degreaser. It can be enough to etch the lacquer, +1 for waxing
The silicone spray looks like a cool solution, but I wonder if it is removable afterwards? Say I want to seel the wheel, it would be a good news if the sray is still removable.

I suspect it is the disc brake cleaner from finishline... which I often use to clean the brake after messy muddy rides.

srtlewis

by srtlewis

Yes the silicone washes off with soap and water. Could be the brake cleaner, far better to spray stuff on a shop towel before applying in future. Same goes with the silicone. I would be weary about spraying it near discs. You can get fancy products to cover them. I use snazzy shower caps.
2019 - Madone SLR 7.9 kg
2021 - Crux s-works 7.4 / 8kg road v gravel
2021 - Brompton P line … don’t ask

kode54

by kode54

Are you certain it’s not water spots or mineral spots? You can try a water spot remover. Spray on cloth and wipe in an area to see if it comes off first.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

xiyuwang

by xiyuwang

kode54 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:05 am
Are you certain it’s not water spots or mineral spots? You can try a water spot remover. Spray on cloth and wipe in an area to see if it comes off first.
Tried, water spot looks different from those spots in fact. Disc cleaner (the strongest cleaner I have) also don't work. I guess the damage is already done to the paint itself, sadly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com