GP5000S TR issue (Getting bigger and softer)

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Replenish

by Replenish

Hi everyone.

I wish to share an issue that I realised after a year of using GP5K STR(s) on various bikes I owned throughout. A few of my mates do experience the same as well, so I was wondering if anyone here felt the same too.

For this tire, I noticed that when it is new and fresh, it rides extremely well. But after 500-600km on it, it starts to feel soft/sluggish despite same tubes and PSI setup.

Could it be that the rubber actually becomes softer?

I could definitely notice the difference in road feel and performance when it's new compared to 500-600km later. It's almost feels slower.

My mates who experienced this told me yeah they notice it and they actually don't mind as it gives them more comfort.

However, I feel that it is robbing me of energy when it comes to accelerating and climbing.

Have anyone felt the same ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nickldn

by Nickldn

^ Interesting. I've done about 3,000km on a pair on 25mm ST R's and they look and feel pretty damn good. The rear even isn't excessively worn and the front looks near brand new.

Overall Contis are usually robust and maintain their shape well.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

IMO there is no mystery here. Tire wears, gets thinner, becomes more supple, conforms to road surface imperfections more efficiently, is more comfortable, less noise and "rattling" along, and as a consequence feels slower but is in fact faster. If you want to duplicate the feeling of the tire when new, just add a few psi. Your brain might tell you it's faster, but unless your riding in Switzerland, it'll most likely be slower.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

GP5K S TRs feel horrible to me for 1-2 rides, and then they are sufficiently broken-in. After that I can't feel any difference between a GP5K S TR with 250km on it or one with 6000km on it.