Which of these wheels will be more durable in rough terrain?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
goroldM

by goroldM

The rough terrain I mentioned in the title will be a rarity but it will occur occasionally on a few upcoming bikepacking trips. By rough terrain I mean big loose rocks, "rock gardens" etc. I won't smash down these trails but have to "manage them" without breaking my equipment in the middle of nowhere.

Because I mostly ride on road and light gravel I will use 32mm wide GP5000 S TR tires which measure 35mm on the WR45. The same 32 mm tires measure 34mm on the AR56.

Lightbicycle AR56 (23 inner, 30mm outer width) https://pic.lightbicycle.com/www/produc ... ID682.jpeg

Lightbicycle WR45 (25 inner, 32mm outer width) https://pic.lightbicycle.com/www/produc ... D1028.jpeg

These are the two rims I'm considering for the upcoming wheel build.

I'm mostly concerned about rocks hitting the sidewalls because I will use a tire insert to lessen the impact of rocks hitting the rim hooks when bottoming out.

PRO WR45
+ Thicker side walls (it seems from the pictures in the links above)
+ Shallower = less sidewall exposed vertically

PRO AR56
+ Narrower external width rim so that the tire bulges out more beyond the width of the rim which should decrease the risk of rocks striking the sidewall.
+ The narrow external width also should make the insert work more effectively to protect the rim hooks.
+ The V shape (WR45 is more U shaped) moves the sidewall "away" from the outer edges of the tire = sidewall is less exposed.

I could also use a different rim on the front vs rear.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The narrower rim is better. If the wheels are to be used for gravel and bikepacking, I'd recommend a shallower depth. A deep rim only looks good, but they are heavier and won't buy you any speed if you're bikepacking. Lastly, I would never use a road tire on gravel. You should select the correct tire for the WORST road conditions you would expect, not the amount of the BEST road conditions you would expect. I'd recommend at a minimum the Conti Terra Speed 35mm on either 21mm or 23mm internally wide rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goroldM

by goroldM

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:29 am
The narrower rim is better. If the wheels are to be used for gravel and bikepacking, I'd recommend a shallower depth.
The narrow rim is the deeper rim here.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Falcon Pro's paintless finish might have stronger surface than Falcon series's exterior.
My old AR56 has a big scar at a spot on top of rim between 2 spokes. It caused by my friend's wheel shoot a stone up when cornering. That piece of stone hit my rim between 2 spoke nipples create loud noise that can be heard by the entire group, and of course that scar.

None of your two choices are in Pro series though.
Other alternative in Pro range would be AR55, WR40 and WR50. Besure to select paintless finish.

goroldM

by goroldM

Hexsense wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:36 pm
Falcon Pro's paintless finish might have stronger surface than Falcon series's exterior.
My old AR56 has a big scar at a spot on top of rim between 2 spokes. It caused by my friend's wheel shoot a stone up when cornering. That piece of stone hit my rim between 2 spoke nipples create loud noise that can be heard by the entire group, and of course that scar.

Other alternative in Pro range would be AR55, WR40 and WR50. Besure to select paintless finish.
Besides the surface finish what I figure has the biggest impact on rim durability in rocky conditions is: rim - tire width differential (more = better), rim shape (More v shape is better), how well it works with tire insert, rim wall thickness (more= better), depth (less = better).

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Hexsense wrote:

The pro rims are also 25%-30% stronger than the non pro versions. I had thus conversation with them recently before ordering some WR50s

goroldM

by goroldM

Steve Curtis wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:48 am
Hexsense wrote:

The pro rims are also 25%-30% stronger than the non pro versions. I had thus conversation with them recently before ordering some WR50s
I read this but is it just a marketing gimmick? If there is a (Chinese wheel) company who I would trust with such a statement it would be Light Bicycle. But I'm not sure what the fundamental mechanism is here that would make the wheel stronger.

Edopizzo

by Edopizzo

get much shallower rims, you won't benefit from the aero if you're riding on gravel and with a tire wider than the rim. Also get proper wide gravel tires, this will be more important than the rim itself. If you want, you can ask them to have them reinforced with added carbon. Also, going with the paintless PRO versions is definitely a must if you care about rim finish lasting over time: I have AR56 and over three years the clear coat has chipped away due to rock strikes, falls and smashing the wheel on a curb (my tires are narrower than the rim).

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

goroldM wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:01 am
Steve Curtis wrote:
Hexsense wrote:

I read this but is it just a marketing gimmick? If there is a (Chinese wheel) company who I would trust with such a statement it would be Light Bicycle. But I'm not sure what the fundamental mechanism is here that would make the wheel stronger.
Too early to say regarding the WR50, I have another 4 wheelsets including a WR45 lightweight which I've also had no issues with as a gravel/ winter wheelset.

I'm 80kg and run a lightweight front with a regular rear on all of my builds. I don't baby them at all and have absolutely no problems or chipped paint.

goroldM

by goroldM

Steve Curtis wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:20 pm
goroldM wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:01 am
Steve Curtis wrote:
Hexsense wrote:

Too early to say regarding the WR50, I have another 4 wheelsets including a WR45 lightweight which I've also had no issues with as a gravel/ winter wheelset.

I'm 80kg and run a lightweight front with a regular rear on all of my builds. I don't baby them at all and have absolutely no problems or chipped paint.
Good to know.

What kind of terrain are you not babying them in? Do you occasionally come across something like this: https://images.app.goo.gl/W2EunsLjUJwpTHXJ7 ?

And what tire width are you running?

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

Terrain like that is 50/50 skill and luck, or unluck. On road, gp5000 30, off road/ gravel I use continental terra trail or terra speed.
I used to ride a rigid mtb so I'm pretty handy on the rough stuff with no suspension.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com