New Hunt SUB50 Limitless wheels - 1380 grams

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
JZP

by JZP

My initial thoughts:
  • Hunt states that the hubs are at "25,000 km (and counting) of testing", so we've yet to see how long they last. How long should "good" hubs last?
  • The SUB50 seems to be an evolution of the Limitless, which are already exceptionally wide at 34 - 35 mm. How wide are the new wheels?! How will 28 - 30 mm tires fit on these, and how did they even fit the current Limitless?!
  • Where is it indicated that the SUB50 is hookless?
Last edited by JZP on Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hannawald

by hannawald

JZP wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:12 pm
My initial thoughts:
  • Hunts states that the hubs are at "25,000 km (and counting) of testing", so we've yet to see how long they last. How long should "good" hubs last?
  • The SUB50 seems to be an evolution of the Limitless, which are already exceptionally wide at 34 - 35 mm. How wide are the new wheels?! How will 28 - 30 mm tires fit on these, and how did they even fit the current Limitless?!
It´s not indicated in the text but there is a picture with the rim profile and it looks hookless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lina

by Lina

JZP wrote:
My initial thoughts:
  • Hunts states that the hubs are at "25,000 km (and counting) of testing", so we've yet to see how long they last. How long should "good" hubs last?
Good hubs should last hundreds of thousands of km with basic maintenance.

Hooklessness is indicated on the rim cross section drawings.

spartan

by spartan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTKjdTBCw58&t=248s

so this real world testing 30mm are the sweet spot.

35 wide front rims is nothing revolutionary. rovale came out with extra wide front rim 4 years ago !!! the crw 50/60 and weight 1280gm . cheaper than the hunts. LOL
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

hannawald

by hannawald

spartan wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:13 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTKjdTBCw58&t=248s

so this real world testing 30mm are the sweet spot.

35 wide front rims is nothing revolutionary. rovale came out with extra wide front rim 4 years ago !!! the crw 50/60 and weight 1280gm . cheaper than the hunts. LOL
CRW have 100kg weight limit including bike and equipment, common mass market wheels are around 120kg. Using flyweight layup rims means they will be more brittle so there is some trade off.

hannawald

by hannawald

Lina wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:20 am
JZP wrote:
My initial thoughts:
Good hubs should last hundreds of thousands of km with basic maintenance.

Hooklessness is indicated on the rim cross section drawings.
Hookless confirmed also in the email they sent today. There is some aero data involved - they are very close to DT Swiss ARC 50 1400 with 28C tires but they mention that due to narrower internal width of ARC50 the tire profile is narrower with DT Swiss. When they put 30mm tire on DT Swiss to compare similar real tire profiles they were better. And they are more than 3w faster than Zipp 454 NSW. Not bad but hookless which they say helps tire profile and aerodynamics:(

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I could swear I have this exact set of wheels already, but it reads "Roval" on those...
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:32 am
I could swear I have this exact set of wheels already, but it reads "Roval" on those...
Well someone has to do the research before someone else can make the cheap copies!
Also the Roval wheels have hooks so a big plus point for them.

CJosephB

by CJosephB

"Impossibly lightweight. Fast everywhere.

Not only does the SUB50 Limitless deliver best-in-class aerodynamics, but the wheelset weighs in at just 1380g – lighter than any competitor. Leveraging the latest knowledge and capabilities in composite layup technology, the featherlight weight is achieved with our patented Limitless Width Aero Technology, a manufacturing method that facilitates extra rim width without a weight penalty, all while maintaining strength and impact resilience. HUNT TaperLock UD carbon spoke technology was a clear choice for this project, offering 6% greater lateral responsiveness compared to steel spoke equivalents with significantly less weight (2.7g per spoke).

The SUB50 accelerates faster and floats up climbs with less mass thanks to class-leading aero-to-weight performance and lateral responsiveness. Delivering predictable handling, quick acceleration, and formidable aerodynamics, the SUB50 Limitless Aero Disc wheelset perfectly suits aggressive racers and riders relishing varied terrain and seeking every advantage.

In the next installment, we’ll unveil our new hub system, built to offer durable fast engagement with less weight."

I think a part of their limitless technology is the ones where Hunt's use foam inside some areas of the wheel.

It looks like the graphics and lines on the wheels are more subtle, rather than all white on the current limitless version.

hannawald

by hannawald

Besides hookless I appreciate Hunts effort, especially all the data given by them. Their pricing is quite self confident considering their direct sales model. Same price or more expensive than many established brands like DT Swiss.
Last edited by hannawald on Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

CJosephB wrote:Markering BS
Question is, how much are they paying you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJosephB

by CJosephB

I'm playing devils advocate since CRW is mentioned... these companies doesn't produce "data"and such and because a certain team says it's good, rides as such and so and so it's a great. But then when a company produces a white paper to show you their analysis it's nonsense. Lunacy. It doesn't mean it's a good or bad product but just insane that there's no approach with the same skepticism as the rest.

Saw Hunt released a white paper, interesting what's on it. At the end of the day, curious how it feels riding on this. Looking forward to hearing/reading initial impressions.

req110

by req110

Where the HUNT company got the self confidence to adverstise wheelsets for price like ZIPP NSW or Enve ? Since when they become posh brand? They did not.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

CJosephB

by CJosephB

Didn't mentioned anything about posh.... my post was how this specific wheel performs relative to its peers and for me, the ride quality 🙄

Curious which cycling site will published a first ride impression.

req110

by req110

That is not reaction on any of your posts, just my rant.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com