New Hunt SUB50 Limitless wheels - 1380 grams

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
CJosephB

by CJosephB

"All-new, front and rear optimized rim profiles that are together aerodynamically faster by 1.40 watts with 30mm tires than the previous 48 Limitless was with 28mm tires."

"Leveraging the latest advancements in composite layup knowledge and capabilities, the SUB50 Limitless wheels achieve featherlight weight at just 1380 grams, while meeting the extreme structural and durability demands of modern racing and riding. Additional weight savings and responsiveness gains were achieved leveraging HUNT TaperLock UD Carbon Spoke technology, with over four seasons of proven race performance in the pro ranks. Our new H_Ratchet hub system offers further weight savings by providing quick, reliable engagement with less material, weighing just 332 grams per pair. The result is a profoundly versatile aero wheelset. More aero, less weight."

"Full launch and scientific data coming Feb 1st, 2024."

https://us.huntbikewheels.com/pages/sub ... isc-wheels

Right now a lot of marketing... but this one is interesting.

Front wheel is Depth 49.5 | Width F34.2
Rear wheel is Depth 49.5 | Width R30.0

Wow, it's wide! It seems to be on a diet for its width and depth.
Last edited by CJosephB on Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

RDY

by RDY

CJosephB wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:23 pm

"All-new, front and rear optimized rim profiles that are together aerodynamically faster by 1.40 watts with 30mm tires than the previous 48 Limitless was with 28mm tires."

"Leveraging the latest advancements in composite layup knowledge and capabilities, the SUB50 Limitless wheels achieve featherlight weight at just 1380 grams, while meeting the extreme structural and durability demands of modern racing and riding. Additional weight savings and responsiveness gains were achieved leveraging HUNT TaperLock UD Carbon Spoke technology, with over four seasons of proven race performance in the pro ranks. Our new H_Ratchet hub system offers further weight savings by providing quick, reliable engagement with less material, weighing just 332 grams per pair. The result is a profoundly versatile aero wheelset. More aero, less weight."

Right now a lot of marketing... but this one is interesting. "Depth 49.5 | Width F34.2" - Wow, it's wide!
Unless you've been pulled in and are now held captive by the UK bike media's constant shilling of Hunt, I can't see why anyone would go with any of their stuff.

Immediate disqualifying factor on these is that they're hookless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CJosephB

by CJosephB

RDY wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:40 pm
CJosephB wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:23 pm

Right now a lot of marketing... but this one is interesting. "Depth 49.5 | Width F34.2" - Wow, it's wide!
Unless you've been pulled in and are now held captive by the UK bike media's constant shilling of Hunt, I can't see why anyone would go with any of their stuff.

Immediate disqualifying factor on these is that they're hookless.
I disagree with your hookless comment but that's your perspective...

BUT what's with the first statement... cliff notes version? Two years ago I bought the Hunt 35 Carbon as a set for my winter wheels and they're ok for what it is used.

RDY

by RDY

Load of marketing bollocks with terrible hubs, and until recently unavailable spares and bad service. Much poorer quality and higher prices than the reliable Chinese brands.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

As above. I'd rather drop the 1.4 watts and ride something else.
I just don't trust Hunt after prior experiences and their shitty attitude.

jayjay

by jayjay

Looks stupidly wide...

CJosephB

by CJosephB

Don't want to discount people's different experiences especially the negative aspect. Along with that I'm sure there's a wide array, hopefully some positive and today geared more towards that.

When I reached out to Hunt to incquire about buying the 35 Carbon for winter use, the overall communication was good. I'm in the US so can't speak to the other side of the pond, just one person's experience.

Hopefully this particular wheelset performs, and is great (relatively speaking). Looking to see what February 1st brings.

Lina

by Lina

Hookless is an immediate disqualifier for any road wheels to me. Insisting on your own cheap hubs is another. 25 000 km on one hubset? That's warmup for a hub and not something to be proud of. That's roughly two seasons of riding for people on the end of spectrum that ride a lot.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Lina wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:23 pm
Hookless is an immediate disqualifier for any road wheels to me. Insisting on your own cheap hubs is another. 25 000 km on one hubset? That's warmup for a hub and not something to be proud of. That's roughly two seasons of riding for people on the end of spectrum that ride a lot.
Yeah, the 25k thing is a problem. And if the user is a decent size, that number could be much less. I'm certain many of us have hubs that have done 100,000km+ without issue. With disc brakes the importance of hub durability is paramount because the rim will last forever. And with the occasional bearing change, the hub should as well. I've never worn out a hub (though a rear Zipp hub exploded on me), and I do 20,000 to 30,000 km per year. Mavic, DT Swiss, even Carbon Ti, and they're all fine.

As to the specific wheelset, Lighter weight, 32mm wide, 50mm deep, with better hubs, are available from Light Bicycle, etc., with choice of hooked or hookless.

As to the 1.4 watt improvement - a claim that is essentially a margin of error number makes me suspicious. It comes back to claiming wider is faster than narrow - not likely. I expect will see some seriously messaged data.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

CJosephB

by CJosephB

The hubs seems to be new for the brand as well... ratchet instead of pawls.

February 1st can't come soon enough for the curious.

If there's one thing for any wheelset besides the lighter stiffer faster mantra that I want to know is ride quality or perceive ride quality.

If anybody has ran an ENVE SES wheelset with those wide 25 internals and let's say 30mm tires, the ability to run low pressures, tubeless with a tire like the GP5000 S TR is amazing. Caveat: recreational cycling...

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

"...create a set of rim profiles that reduce aerodynamic drag when optimizing for both 28mm and 30mm tires. The solution was a pair of all-new, front and rear optimized rim profiles that are together aerodynamically faster by 1.40 watts with 30mm tires than the previous 48 Limitless was with 28mm tires."

This is where they get the 1.4w savings.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

EtoDemerzel wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:13 pm
"...create a set of rim profiles that reduce aerodynamic drag when optimizing for both 28mm and 30mm tires. The solution was a pair of all-new, front and rear optimized rim profiles that are together aerodynamically faster by 1.40 watts with 30mm tires than the previous 48 Limitless was with 28mm tires."

This is where they get the 1.4w savings.
That just implies that the previous narrow design was less then optimal. Of course Hunt will update their narrower rims to feature the new optimized design - won't they? Then they'll be able to announce another 1.4 watt savings. :P
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

hannawald

by hannawald

It´s great there is something new, 1380g for a 50mm wide rim is pretty good (if you compare with wheels with standard weight limits, not with some flyweight more brittle layups). Ratchet is a big upgrade, according to youtube videos even the cheap chinese copies work well (besides one where the ratchet failed but changing for the original DT ratchet solved the problem). Unfortunatelly hookless is a pass for me, I like my standard clinchers with TPU . And current price for limitless with steal bearings is 21OO euro so it is not cheap in any way (unless you buy it in some 25 percent discount promo).

Greny

by Greny

hmm... I do more then 150 000 m climbing meters a year , hookless to dangerous. Pretty sure in 5 years we don't talk hookless anymore.

Aeo

by Aeo

Road tyres will be pushed wider and wider to where the pressures are low enough for hookless
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com