New Hunt SUB50 Limitless wheels - 1380 grams

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
C36

by C36

CJosephB wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:42 am
Bicycling.com released sort of an initial review. (https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a4 ... ls-review/)

"the SUB50s feel much stiffer than steel-spoke wheels. This isn’t necessarily bad, but it is worth remembering if you prioritize comfort. The upshot of the added stiffness and low weight is that the SUB50's feel amazing uphill......

Untill I see a lab test proving it I will have my doubt, the last 2 generations of Hunt Carbon spoked wheels tested were 15-20% flexier than peers. I haven't seen them ONCE really living up to their claims (maybe right within their tests, but never replicated elsewhere).

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

Bicycling compared the Hunt SUB50 to Farsports EVO6 with 19mm iw which is a lie of omission because we all know you can easily find Farsports (or other carbon spoke wheels) with 23,24,25mm iw for a lot less $ than Hunts.

The entire point of the article and reviews are to put Hunt into the same conversation as Enve and Zipp. Hunt seems to be getting a lot of press for the fat rims though.

Hunt also seems to be using Stren spokes and the hubs look just like some chinese brands. At the pricepoint, I'm guessing the Hunts are made by someone like Farsports?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chrisw91

by chrisw91

EtoDemerzel wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:23 pm
At the pricepoint, I'm guessing the Hunts are made by someone like Farsports?
Top Venturer International
https://www.topventurer.com/index.html

CJosephB

by CJosephB

My interest was piqued by who officially launched the wide wheels in the front concept, etc.. first between Roval Rapid CLX and Hunt Limitless

I'm doing a quick look-up, and it seems like the Hunt 48 limitless officially launched around June 2019 (https://road.cc/content/tech-news/26251 ... elset-50mm) and Roval Rapide CLX in ~June 2020 (https://road.cc/content/tech-news/new-r ... els-274051)

Anyway...

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

CJosephB wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:08 am
My interest was piqued by who officially launched the wide wheels in the front concept, etc.. first between Roval Rapid CLX and Hunt Limitless

I'm doing a quick look-up, and it seems like the Hunt 48 limitless officially launched around June 2019 (https://road.cc/content/tech-news/26251 ... elset-50mm) and Roval Rapide CLX in ~June 2020 (https://road.cc/content/tech-news/new-r ... els-274051)

Anyway...
There was a podcast recently from Escape Collective with one of the founders of Hunt. He mentioned that one of the first orders of their Limitless wheels was made by Specialized so they were clearly interested in them. Then as you state the Rapides came out a yearater.

However, Specialized did develop further this concept of wide rims by using differing width rims for front and rear wheels. Something that several other brands have also done since, Hunt are actually quite late to the party when it comes to this.

CJosephB

by CJosephB

CampagYOLO wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:25 am
CJosephB wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:08 am

Anyway...
There was a podcast recently from Escape Collective with one of the founders of Hunt. He mentioned that one of the first orders of their Limitless wheels was made by Specialized so they were clearly interested in them. Then as you state the Rapides came out a yearater.

However, Specialized did develop further this concept of wide rims by using differing width rims for front and rear wheels. Something that several other brands have also done since, Hunt are actually quite late to the party when it comes to this.
Not too knowledgeable in the space but on top of mind are brands like Enve (SES), Parcour (with their Strada) and Reserve' (40/44), etc.. excuse if I'm missing a lot of other companies.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

mikehhhhhhh wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:28 pm
ichobi wrote:The lightweight angle just don't work.

They go light by using (and it's not even that light)
- Hookless
- Carbon spokes

wheels with generous rider weight limit.)

The paper is nice and all, but it only serves to prove that the original Roval Rapide CLX design is S tier. And now if you can find a pair of the CLX 1st gen (hooked, 100g lighter than the CLXII), it's an even better deal. You also get a very reliable and stiff DT240hub. People like to crap on Specialized, but their r&d is hard to beat. And that was 4-5 years ago.
Those CLX wheels were the same ones that weren’t suitable for tubeless and had a habit of catastrophic failures resulting in their withdrawal from sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd hardly call one failure, being cased into a curb at 50km/h, a habit :mrgreen:
One publicised failure that led to them realising their product was flawed and dangerous.

https://roadbikeaction.com/specialized- ... -everyone/

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

ultimobici wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:52 am
mikehhhhhhh wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:28 pm
ichobi wrote:The lightweight angle just don't work.

They go light by using (and it's not even that light)
- Hookless
- Carbon spokes

wheels with generous rider weight limit.)

The paper is nice and all, but it only serves to prove that the original Roval Rapide CLX design is S tier. And now if you can find a pair of the CLX 1st gen (hooked, 100g lighter than the CLXII), it's an even better deal. You also get a very reliable and stiff DT240hub. People like to crap on Specialized, but their r&d is hard to beat. And that was 4-5 years ago.
Those CLX wheels were the same ones that weren’t suitable for tubeless and had a habit of catastrophic failures resulting in their withdrawal from sale.

I'd hardly call one failure, being cased into a curb at 50km/h, a habit :mrgreen:
One publicised failure that led to them realising their product was flawed and dangerous.

https://roadbikeaction.com/specialized- ... -everyone/

Well, to be accurate they realised lots of tubeless wheels were similarly flawed when they developed a test to reproduce the failure.

It's great that Specialized is concerned about this edge case but there's no need to over-dramatise it, who wouldn't expect a tyre to fail when you destroy a wheel hopping into a curb at high speed? There's so many other ways a tyre can fail regardless of rim or tube/tubeless setup.

I've run my original Rapides tubeless for 15k and they've been fantastic.

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

MagicShite wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:42 am
IMO, carbon spokes are kinda shit when you're doing endurance with your buddies. You really have to reduce your tire pressures a lot more than steel spoke equivalents.
Is that coming from your own experience? I'm looking for a do-it-all wheelset, stumbled upon the CRW 5060s, but I'm unsure about them having the carbon spokes, as comfort Is my priority.

CJosephB

by CJosephB

UrgentDelay wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:17 pm
MagicShite wrote:
IMO, carbon spokes are kinda shit when you're doing endurance with your buddies. You really have to reduce your tire pressures a lot more than steel spoke equivalents.
Is that coming from your own experience? I'm looking for a do-it-all wheelset, stumbled upon the CRW 5060s, but I'm unsure about them having the carbon spokes, as comfort Is my priority.
Are you considering hookless or strictly hooks? Tubeless, or running inner tube? I want to get that out of the way...

If comfort is a priority (without going into a deep hole), one aspect you might want to look at is wheelsets with wide internal rims 23-25. Those wider internal rims afford you the ability to run lower pressures, among other things to consider. I haven't tried carbon fiber spokes and somebody mentioned earlier that it typically is stiffer...

Industry Nine is teasing a new AR40 (All Road?) wheels at the core bike show (https://velo.outsideonline.com/news/ind ... core-bike/), something to look at once more information is released.

I'm guessing that Forge & Bond is probably going to make a road/all-road wheelset soon. They've been so focused on gravel and mountain that it only makes sense to make a wheelset-specific for the road.

Brands to consider and do further diligence are Parcours (Strade), Enve (3.4 or 4.5), and Reserve (52/63 or 40/44), among many things you are looking at.

I'm probably going to try these Hunts SUB50 Limitless with the carbon spokes come April with my Aethos and pair it with the Vittoria Corsa Pro 30mm. Looking forward to a deepish wheelset... currently running Enve 3.4 with GP5000 S TR 30mm (Love it)

Hope this helps.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

UrgentDelay wrote:
MagicShite wrote:
Yes.

but CRW runs 16 spokes, it may be better. Mine were always the 2:1 21 spoke variants.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

CampagYOLO wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:25 am
There was a podcast recently from Escape Collective with one of the founders of Hunt. He mentioned that one of the first orders of their Limitless wheels was made by Specialized so they were clearly interested in them.
Hunt is on a tighter budget, so maybe they thought this was flattering. But if you walk through R&D at one of the bigger brands like Specialized, they pretty much have every brand of wheel in the storage room for benchmarking. The nerds just buy it all for due diligence.

Not to say whether or not Specialized actually got an idea from Hunt, but the fact they bought a Hunt wheel is not at all peculiar.

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

CJosephB wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:10 pm
UrgentDelay wrote:
MagicShite wrote:
Are you considering hookless or strictly hooks? Tubeless, or running inner tube? I want to get that out of the way...

If comfort is a priority (without going into a deep hole), one aspect you might want to look at is wheelsets with wide internal rims 23-25. Those wider internal rims afford you the ability to run lower pressures, among other things to consider. I haven't tried carbon fiber spokes and somebody mentioned earlier that it typically is stiffer...

Industry Nine is teasing a new AR40 (All Road?) wheels at the core bike show (https://velo.outsideonline.com/news/ind ... core-bike/), something to look at once more information is released.

I'm guessing that Forge & Bond is probably going to make a road/all-road wheelset soon. They've been so focused on gravel and mountain that it only makes sense to make a wheelset-specific for the road.

Brands to consider and do further diligence are Parcours (Strade), Enve (3.4 or 4.5), and Reserve (52/63 or 40/44), among many things you are looking at.

I'm probably going to try these Hunts SUB50 Limitless with the carbon spokes come April with my Aethos and pair it with the Vittoria Corsa Pro 30mm. Looking forward to a deepish wheelset... currently running Enve 3.4 with GP5000 S TR 30mm (Love it)

Hope this helps.
Thanks, it does help! More details about what I'm looking for:
- Hookless or hooked, but would prefer hooked for safety.
- Must be able to run tubeless
- Front depth: around 50-60 mm
- Front width: 31mm+ external for 21mm internal OR 34mm+ external for 24mm internal (The front rim must be able to suffice the 105 rule with GP5000 S TR 28mm and that's how wide it comes out)
- Rear depth: don't care that much
- Rear width: 21mm+, but 23mm+ preferred (as you just suggested, the more the better, as I want my rear GP5000 S TR 32mm to be as comfy as possible - love it too)
- Only steel spokes, unless someone proves more wrong about carbon ones being uncomfortable (so far I've only found opinions supporting this assumption, among others: https://youtu.be/e2_lRKpz8ik?si=zelxGbKMi5FYjaxS&t=840 )
- The lighted the better obv.
- ??? (maybe I'm missing some important factor)

What I've considered so far and the problems I have with those sets:
1. Roval Rapide CLX II - not that light and the rear could be wider (21 mm int)
2. CRW 5060s - carbon spokes and the rear could be wider (21 mm int)
3. Wheelsfar - their website is so messy, couldn't find what I wanted
4. Reserve 52|63 Turbulent Aero - kinda heavy at 1576g
5. Lún HYPER 23 SE D45/SE D67 Disc -front too narrow at 28 mm ext.
6. Lún MEGA D45 Disc - front too narrow at 27.6 mm ext.
7. Bontrager Aeolus RSL 51 TLR - nice 1410g, but maybe there's a cheaper option?
8. ZIPP 454 NSW - expensive, front 30mm external seems to narrow for 25mm internal
9. ENVE SES 4.5 - check all the boxes, can't find them anywhere though

Any other suggestions, especially from Wheelsfar maybe? Maybe I'll create an excel sheet and a separate topic for that :D
Thanks!

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

Actually, the HUNT SUB50 Limitless Aero Disc wheelset with steel spokes, from the topic I was posting in, seems to be checking all the boxes haha! 1428g is not too shabby either. So tight now I have:
1. . Bontrager Aeolus RSL 51 TLR
vs
2. ENVE SES 4.5
vs
3.HUNT SUB50 Limitless Aero Disc

Any hints?:)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Farsports Hyper's are probably their best option They're 24 internal and 30 external - Super light though, I think my 50's are just over 1200 grams.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg