New Hunt SUB50 Limitless wheels - 1380 grams

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

Mocs123 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:52 am
Farsports Hyper's are probably their best option They're 24 internal and 30 external - Super light though, I think my 50's are just over 1200 grams.
The website says 1280g+/- 30g for the lightest 50mm version, but it's nice still, thanks! Would you go with Sapim cx-ray or cx-super spokes?

EDIT: I think I should create a new topic with this particular question.

Lina

by Lina

UrgentDelay wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:39 am
CJosephB wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:10 pm
UrgentDelay wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:17 pm
MagicShite wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:42 am
IMO, carbon spokes are kinda shit when you're doing endurance with your buddies. You really have to reduce your tire pressures a lot more than steel spoke equivalents.
Is that coming from your own experience? I'm looking for a do-it-all wheelset, stumbled upon the CRW 5060s, but I'm unsure about them having the carbon spokes, as comfort Is my priority.
Are you considering hookless or strictly hooks? Tubeless, or running inner tube? I want to get that out of the way...

If comfort is a priority (without going into a deep hole), one aspect you might want to look at is wheelsets with wide internal rims 23-25. Those wider internal rims afford you the ability to run lower pressures, among other things to consider. I haven't tried carbon fiber spokes and somebody mentioned earlier that it typically is stiffer...

Industry Nine is teasing a new AR40 (All Road?) wheels at the core bike show (https://velo.outsideonline.com/news/ind ... core-bike/), something to look at once more information is released.

I'm guessing that Forge & Bond is probably going to make a road/all-road wheelset soon. They've been so focused on gravel and mountain that it only makes sense to make a wheelset-specific for the road.

Brands to consider and do further diligence are Parcours (Strade), Enve (3.4 or 4.5), and Reserve (52/63 or 40/44), among many things you are looking at.

I'm probably going to try these Hunts SUB50 Limitless with the carbon spokes come April with my Aethos and pair it with the Vittoria Corsa Pro 30mm. Looking forward to a deepish wheelset... currently running Enve 3.4 with GP5000 S TR 30mm (Love it)

Hope this helps.
Thanks, it does help! More details about what I'm looking for:
- Hookless or hooked, but would prefer hooked for safety.
- Must be able to run tubeless
- Front depth: around 50-60 mm
- Front width: 31mm+ external for 21mm internal OR 34mm+ external for 24mm internal (The front rim must be able to suffice the 105 rule with GP5000 S TR 28mm and that's how wide it comes out)
- Rear depth: don't care that much
- Rear width: 21mm+, but 23mm+ preferred (as you just suggested, the more the better, as I want my rear GP5000 S TR 32mm to be as comfy as possible - love it too)
- Only steel spokes, unless someone proves more wrong about carbon ones being uncomfortable (so far I've only found opinions supporting this assumption, among others: https://youtu.be/e2_lRKpz8ik?si=zelxGbKMi5FYjaxS&t=840 )
- The lighted the better obv.
- ??? (maybe I'm missing some important factor)

What I've considered so far and the problems I have with those sets:
1. Roval Rapide CLX II - not that light and the rear could be wider (21 mm int)
2. CRW 5060s - carbon spokes and the rear could be wider (21 mm int)
3. Wheelsfar - their website is so messy, couldn't find what I wanted
4. Reserve 52|63 Turbulent Aero - kinda heavy at 1576g
5. Lún HYPER 23 SE D45/SE D67 Disc -front too narrow at 28 mm ext.
6. Lún MEGA D45 Disc - front too narrow at 27.6 mm ext.
7. Bontrager Aeolus RSL 51 TLR - nice 1410g, but maybe there's a cheaper option?
8. ZIPP 454 NSW - expensive, front 30mm external seems to narrow for 25mm internal
9. ENVE SES 4.5 - check all the boxes, can't find them anywhere though

Any other suggestions, especially from Wheelsfar maybe? Maybe I'll create an excel sheet and a separate topic for that :D
Thanks!
Light Bicycle WR50?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CJosephB

by CJosephB

UrgentDelay wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:39 am
CJosephB wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:10 pm
UrgentDelay wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:17 pm
MagicShite wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:42 am
IMO, carbon spokes are kinda shit when you're doing endurance with your buddies. You really have to reduce your tire pressures a lot more than steel spoke equivalents.
Is that coming from your own experience? I'm looking for a do-it-all wheelset, stumbled upon the CRW 5060s, but I'm unsure about them having the carbon spokes, as comfort Is my priority.
Are you considering hookless or strictly hooks? Tubeless, or running inner tube? I want to get that out of the way...

If comfort is a priority (without going into a deep hole), one aspect you might want to look at is wheelsets with wide internal rims 23-25. Those wider internal rims afford you the ability to run lower pressures, among other things to consider. I haven't tried carbon fiber spokes and somebody mentioned earlier that it typically is stiffer...

Industry Nine is teasing a new AR40 (All Road?) wheels at the core bike show (https://velo.outsideonline.com/news/ind ... core-bike/), something to look at once more information is released.

I'm guessing that Forge & Bond is probably going to make a road/all-road wheelset soon. They've been so focused on gravel and mountain that it only makes sense to make a wheelset-specific for the road.

Brands to consider and do further diligence are Parcours (Strade), Enve (3.4 or 4.5), and Reserve (52/63 or 40/44), among many things you are looking at.

I'm probably going to try these Hunts SUB50 Limitless with the carbon spokes come April with my Aethos and pair it with the Vittoria Corsa Pro 30mm. Looking forward to a deepish wheelset... currently running Enve 3.4 with GP5000 S TR 30mm (Love it)

Hope this helps.
Thanks, it does help! More details about what I'm looking for:
- Hookless or hooked, but would prefer hooked for safety.
- Must be able to run tubeless
- Front depth: around 50-60 mm
- Front width: 31mm+ external for 21mm internal OR 34mm+ external for 24mm internal (The front rim must be able to suffice the 105 rule with GP5000 S TR 28mm and that's how wide it comes out)
- Rear depth: don't care that much
- Rear width: 21mm+, but 23mm+ preferred (as you just suggested, the more the better, as I want my rear GP5000 S TR 32mm to be as comfy as possible - love it too)
- Only steel spokes, unless someone proves more wrong about carbon ones being uncomfortable (so far I've only found opinions supporting this assumption, among others: https://youtu.be/e2_lRKpz8ik?si=zelxGbKMi5FYjaxS&t=840 )
- The lighted the better obv.
- ??? (maybe I'm missing some important factor)

What I've considered so far and the problems I have with those sets:
1. Roval Rapide CLX II - not that light and the rear could be wider (21 mm int)
2. CRW 5060s - carbon spokes and the rear could be wider (21 mm int)
3. Wheelsfar - their website is so messy, couldn't find what I wanted
4. Reserve 52|63 Turbulent Aero - kinda heavy at 1576g
5. Lún HYPER 23 SE D45/SE D67 Disc -front too narrow at 28 mm ext.
6. Lún MEGA D45 Disc - front too narrow at 27.6 mm ext.
7. Bontrager Aeolus RSL 51 TLR - nice 1410g, but maybe there's a cheaper option?
8. ZIPP 454 NSW - expensive, front 30mm external seems to narrow for 25mm internal
9. ENVE SES 4.5 - check all the boxes, can't find them anywhere though

Any other suggestions, especially from Wheelsfar maybe? Maybe I'll create an excel sheet and a separate topic for that :D
Thanks!
You have narrowed it down, and are very specific which should help. But can't think of one on top of my mind. Let us know what you decide.

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

CJosephB wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:41 pm
You have narrowed it down, and are very specific which should help. But can't think of one on top of my mind. Let us know what you decide.
Oh yes, this was actually a huge time sink. I ended up creating a whole wheelset database:
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=174930

Now my choice will be dictated by tire clearance (another database):
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=174928
^^^ your input would be appreciated!

This is my current shortlist, subject to tire clearance info:
I will fit max rear inner width possible, and based on that:
21- Roval Rapide CLX II
23- HUNTS SUB50, they seem strictly better than Bontrager Aeolus RSL 51 TLR
25- Ligth Bicycle WR50 / ENVE SES 4.5, leaning towards ENVEs due to better resale value

picocassette

by picocassette

UrgentDelay wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:14 pm
CJosephB wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:41 pm
Oh yes, this was actually a huge time sink. I ended up creating a whole wheelset database:
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=174930

Now my choice will be dictated by tire clearance (another database):
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=174928
^^^ your input would be appreciated!

This is my current shortlist, subject to tire clearance info:
I will fit max rear inner width possible, and based on that:
21- Roval Rapide CLX II
23- HUNTS SUB50, they seem strictly better than Bontrager Aeolus RSL 51 TLR
25- Ligth Bicycle WR50 / ENVE SES 4.5, leaning towards ENVEs due to better resale value
Curious on how to find the Sub50's at that MSRP price. I've had these and the Reynolds Blacklabel 46's in mind but the Reynolds are a lot more.

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

That's just my relative value adjustment for someone living in Europe. You can get a coupon from the mailing list though

Aeo

by Aeo

Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

CJosephB

by CJosephB

https://www.simscale.com/webinars-works ... 1054788068

I thought this was interesting. Unfortunately I have work, hope they can share the video.