Princeton Wake 6560 Evolution vs Zipp NSW454 vs ENVE 4.5

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
slowcyclist

by slowcyclist

Trying to decide wheel between these 3. Could you please suggest which one is better?

Terrein - Mostly flat and some rolling. Occasionally will be used in mountains too.

I went through articale on 6560 Evolution, did anyone have those and how do you rate them?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

req110

by req110

Only Princetons are hooks.

Others are hookless. I consider hookless as a blindBranch in road cycling.

I would search somewhere else.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

Rashidsq

by Rashidsq

I have the princetons in mate black and tactic hubs weighing 1395 very stable in crosswinds for deep wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowcyclist

by slowcyclist

Yes only Princetons are hooks and they dont need the tape to go for tubeless.

Buexx

by Buexx

Rashidsq wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:05 pm
I have the princetons in mate black and tactic hubs weighing 1395 very stable in crosswinds for deep wheels
Do you know, or anyone else, what the difference is between the Tactitc Racing TR1 and TR2 hubs? The TR2 arent even mentioned on the Tactic Racing website yet. Apparently 100g, according to this handy list from bikerumor

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

The Zipps feel significantly less appealing after they went through their stealthy weight increase last year; they no longer seem so bleeding-edge in that regard (plus, if we're nitpicking, their claimed weight is without rim tape and with the lighter XDR freehub - no idea what freehub the others use, but Princeton doesn't need rim tape so that saves you 10-15g).

Not sure about the TR02 hubs. I'd email Princeton to inquire, they're usually pretty responsive. Presumably a lower-spec version of the TR01 hub, but not sure how that's achieved.

RDY

by RDY

TR02 are cheap hubs sold for a huge markup. They're ridiculously heavy at this price. Only the freehub / engagement is Nonplus, rather than the whole thing being designed and made by them re: TR01. I dunno which OEM designed and made the TR02. Not that the TR01 and Princeton in general aren't vastly overpriced.

If you're riding in the mountains I'd choose something shallower anyway. You'd have to limit rides to only very still days. Crosswinds on deep wheels on alpine descents are no bueno.

Konsi

by Konsi

RDY wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:54 am
TR02 are cheap hubs sold for a huge markup. They're ridiculously heavy at this price. Only the freehub / engagement is Nonplus, rather than the whole thing being designed and made by them re: TR01. I dunno which OEM designed and made the TR02. Not that the TR01 and Princeton in general aren't vastly overpriced.

If you're riding in the mountains I'd choose something shallower anyway. You'd have to limit rides to only very still days. Crosswinds on deep wheels on alpine descents are no bueno.
I ride the first gen Wake 6560 in the alps all the time. No crosswind issues (I weight 70~74kg though)

UltraMaraFun

by UltraMaraFun

How about the Bontrager RSL51 wheelset? Light for the 51mm depth, wide (internal width 23mm) and hooked rims.
Bikes:
2024 Giant Revolt Adv Pro - AXS Eagle XX1 / GRX820
2020 SystemSIX Hi-Mod - Dura-Ace Di2 12 Speed
2021 Giant TCR ADV Pro Disc - Ultegra Di2 12 Speed
2020 Giant Revolt ADV 2 **For Sale**
2019 Genesis Team Zero Disc - SOLD Oct 2020

Wildh

by Wildh

I'd like to see independent testing on the wakes. Their data is impressive, but so much so that you almost feel it's a fluke.

DogmaHiFi

by DogmaHiFi

Just took delivery of my new wake 6560 evolution with tactic tr01 hubs. They replaced 303 FC, they are full gear 46 lighter than zipps. Huge performance upgrade in flats, climbings and descents. No cross wind issue at all (today winds 30 km/h)

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

I''m in the same boat. ENVE 4.5s and Rovals test better in aero than ZIPPs and Princetons.
You can look up the data here, Hunts are also a worthy consideration: https://www.huntbikewheels.com/products ... c-wheelset

As they differ in internal width you must also take tire clearance into account. This alone might push me towards Rovals Rapide CLX II.

Data on clearance here: viewtopic.php?f=132&t=174930
Data on wheelsets here: viewtopic.php?f=132&t=174928&p=1853604#p1853604

DogmaHiFi

by DogmaHiFi

No hookless anymore for me @urgentdellay, just a week ago my friend had a nasty accident because of them

DogmaHiFi

by DogmaHiFi

No hookless anymore for me @urgentdellay, just a week ago my friend had a nasty accident because of them

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

DogmaHiFi wrote:No hookless anymore for me @urgentdellay, just a week ago my friend had a nasty accident because of them
Elaborate?
Never cheer before you know who is winning