Princeton Wake 6560 Evolution vs Zipp NSW454 vs ENVE 4.5

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
DogmaHiFi

by DogmaHiFi

We were descending together at about 75kmh, during a u turn his tyre removed from his zipp wheel.
He ended in hospital allegently the pressure was 70 psi

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Hmmmmmm. Any physics people want to comment?

"Some teams are racing with hookless rims. This crash is why the CPA are 100 percent against hookless rims. Tires should not come off a rim. The maximum PSI these hookless tires can have put in them is 73, and if you hit something for sure it goes above the maximum 73 PSI rating on impact. That is why tires are coming off.”

Really?????

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

DogmaHiFi wrote:We were descending together at about 75kmh, during a u turn his tyre removed from his zipp wheel.
He ended in hospital allegently the pressure was 70 psi
Thanks. Hope for good outcome for friend.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I know of a 3 people that use Zipp353.. 2 no issues so far and one guy yes his tire came off his 353, but I have no details. The one guy I do know well uses 28mm tires and races often.(strong Cat2)

I've been hookless since Enve4.5AR were released (25mm internal) hell the only rim that let go of a tire for me was Roval CLX50
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

toxin

by toxin

great reasons not to ride hookless: https://road.cc/content/news/cpa-not-ha ... ash-306947

Lina

by Lina

goodboyr wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:54 pm
Hmmmmmm. Any physics people want to comment?

"Some teams are racing with hookless rims. This crash is why the CPA are 100 percent against hookless rims. Tires should not come off a rim. The maximum PSI these hookless tires can have put in them is 73, and if you hit something for sure it goes above the maximum 73 PSI rating on impact. That is why tires are coming off.”

Really????? Image

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk
There has been AT LEAST three separate televised hookless blowoffs this season already. And we're not even in March yet. And all of the ones that have happened this season have been on smooth roads.

There were also a number of them last season.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

We'll see in UCI does anything. Not sure even UCI can ban hookless rims in peleton (and if that is indeed the core safety issue here).

I suspect it'll take a serious incident in a high profile Tour stage for tyre issues to be taken more seriously.

UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

toxin wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:18 pm
great reasons not to ride hookless: https://road.cc/content/news/cpa-not-ha ... ash-306947
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmxylplJJWQ

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

UrgentDelay wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:35 pm
toxin wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:18 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmxylplJJWQ
old news
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Rashidsq

by Rashidsq

Of all the blowouts I’ve heard of or seen on the internet its always either 25s or 28s never heard of 30s or 32s blowout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lina

by Lina

Nickldn wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:32 pm
We'll see in UCI does anything. Not sure even UCI can ban hookless rims in peleton (and if that is indeed the core safety issue here).

I suspect it'll take a serious incident in a high profile Tour stage for tyre issues to be taken more seriously.
They could revoke approval from all hookless wheels. Or just make up new rules. They're the governing body, if they say you aren't allowed to ride hookless wheels in UCI races then that's how it's going to be.

RDY

by RDY

Usually the only way the UCI will act is if the main purveyors [of hookless] - SRAM, Enve and Giant - have failed to pay sufficient tribute.

But if Pogaçar has a blowoff at the TdF, that might change. Which would be a little awkward as supposedly, at least according to the marketing spiel, he's been an Enve fanboi for years and was instrumental in getting his team on them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nickldn

by Nickldn

It's true this is a money issue for the UCI. They won't take action to ban something that upsets many of their main stakeholders unless there is a really good safety reason. Sock height and shifter turn-in are small beer.