Fast real-world tubeless tyre recommendations

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ads

by ads

Looks like I'm gonna go back to tubeless for one of my wheelsets. I know the BRR site well and can get data from there but wondering what people's recommendations are for a decently quick but puncture proof tyre?

I know some of you are blessed with smooth asphalt but I'm in SE London with the hills and lanes of Kent very close. This means loose gravel in parts and lots of broken road surfaces. I'll be running wide hookless rims for the low pressures with 30mm tyres and orange seal endurance sealant.

Liking the look of the Specialized S-works Turbo 2br 2bliss Ready T2/T5 but doesn't seem to get much love?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I also live in SE London and regularly ride out in Kent and the North Downs.

A predictable answer perhaps but 28mm GP5000 STR's that measure out to over 30mm on my wide rims are great in my view, no issues including on some sketchy roads such as descending Toys Hill from north to south and feel very fast.

I haven't tried the latest Corsa Pros but the previous ones were like puncture magnets due to the flints, a shame as the cotton construction would make for a more supple ride.

ads

by ads

CampagYOLO wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:39 pm

A predictable answer perhaps but 28mm GP5000 STR's that measure out to over 30mm on my wide rims are great in my view, no issues including on some sketchy roads such as descending Toys Hill from north to south and feel very fast.

I haven't tried the latest Corsa Pros but the previous ones were like puncture magnets due to the flints, a shame as the cotton construction would make for a more supple ride.
I know Toys Hill well!

The STR doesn't score great on puncture resistance which is why I didn't consider them. If yours have done well on the same roads that I'll be riding it may be worth considering them...

Lina

by Lina

ads wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:05 pm
CampagYOLO wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:39 pm

I know Toys Hill well!

The STR doesn't score great on puncture resistance which is why I didn't consider them. If yours have done well on the same roads that I'll be riding it may be worth considering them...
Real life durability and puncture resistance of the STR is great in my experience.

kervelo

by kervelo

Lina wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:23 pm
Real life durability and puncture resistance of the STR is great in my experience.
Agree with this.

Another option would be the 5000 AS TR. A bit heavier, but also even more puncture resistant.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

kervelo wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:32 pm
Lina wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:23 pm
Agree with this.

Another option would be the 5000 AS TR. A bit heavier, but also even more puncture resistant.
Also agree with this. The STR is no worse than any other 'race' tyre IMO when it comes to puncture resistance.
As a general aside I find that Conti tyres don't often test that well on puncture resistance at BRR but do better in real life.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I'm another south Londoner and tbh I wouldn't ride a cotton based tyre on any roads around here.. I've been very happy with the Corsa NeXT on my Boras as a good balance of things. (I am on clinchers to be clear)
I've prob only done around maybe 300km on them but felt good to me

Basso Diamante rim Campagnolo EPS 12 Bora WTO 60's

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

e4rthm0ver

by e4rthm0ver

I got more punctures during 8 months of running corsa pro control in 2023 (so supposedly more puncture resistant version) than during 2 years of 5000str on the same (pretty shitty) roads. Needless to say I’m coming back to conti for 2024

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:28 pm
I'm another south Londoner and tbh I wouldn't ride a cotton based tyre on any roads around here.. I've been very happy with the Corsa NeXT on my Boras as a good balance of things. (I am on clinchers to be clear)
I've prob only done around maybe 300km on them but felt good to me Image

Basso Diamante rim Campagnolo EPS 12 Bora WTO 60's
Yeah, been using tubeless N.EXT's as my winter training tyres, they've been good.

ads

by ads

Nice one all. Think I'll put the contis top of my list now with the corsa next as the following choice pending punctures with the contis.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

GP5K S TRs are fine in terms of puncture/flat resistance. Corsa Pros are noticeably worse. Pirelli P Zero Race TLR w/Speedcore are better.

The Corsa Pros also flick up sand/grit back at your frame because of the ribbed tread.

Michelin Power Cup TLRs were overall great except for my sidewalls being worn down somehow.

ads

by ads

Cheers. Yeah have run the Pirelli's before and had a good experience with them. They are a little heavy though and as this wheelset will be on an Aethos, I'm ideally trying to keep the weight as low as possible whilst being a day to day bike.

Think I'll avoid the Michelins due to the tread width thing being in my head every time I push it through a corner. Unless it's better on a 30mm tyre but think I read the 28mm was even worse than the 25mm, ratio-wise?

liam7020

by liam7020

ads wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:58 pm
Liking the look of the Specialized S-works Turbo 2br 2bliss Ready T2/T5 but doesn't seem to get much love?
I used those exact Specialized tyres for a trip to the Flandrian cobbles last April and subsequently on the sketchy roads along the north coast of Ireland (which as probably worse!) without any issues. They're pretty much true to the stated width on a 26mm external width rim, no punctures so far and they roll reasonably fast for a chunkier tyre. Stated weight is 305g, both of mine came in at 320g.

There's still plenty of wear left on them yet so I'll probably leave them on my "cobble" wheels for my next trip to Flanders in June!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Power Cups TLR for me.. I've seen a number of ppl with the tread issue, but so far mine have been ok.
600 miles on 1 set
900 on another.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

ads

by ads

liam7020 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:41 pm
ads wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:58 pm
I used those exact Specialized tyres for a trip to the Flandrian cobbles last April and subsequently on the sketchy roads along the north coast of Ireland (which as probably worse!) without any issues. They're pretty much true to the stated width on a 26mm external width rim, no punctures so far and they roll reasonably fast for a chunkier tyre. Stated weight is 305g, both of mine came in at 320g.

There's still plenty of wear left on them yet so I'll probably leave them on my "cobble" wheels for my next trip to Flanders in June!
Thanks mate, that's good to know. Sounds like they may be on a par with the Corsa Nexts and a good training/winter tyre then :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com