Fast real-world tubeless tyre recommendations

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ads

by ads

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:28 pm
I'm another south Londoner and tbh I wouldn't ride a cotton based tyre on any roads around here.. I've been very happy with the Corsa NeXT on my Boras as a good balance of things. (I am on clinchers to be clear)
I've prob only done around maybe 300km on them but felt good to me Image

Basso Diamante rim Campagnolo EPS 12 Bora WTO 60's
Hey mate. I'm guessing you'd say the same for tube type (turbo cottons)? Just picked up 4 x 28mms for the spring/summer but will return them if you think they'll be hard to live with around our way...

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

Corsa Pros have served me well, but small holes don't seem to stay sealed, it's like stans race doesn't adhere to the cotton casing.

GP5000 STR seem to pickup cuts and holes like no one's business, they all seal but bigger ones seem to weap leading to sealant drying out a bit faster. Still my go-to in the summer though!

I've been mega impressed with the ASTR I've been running this winter. No cuts or nicks made it all the way through yet, I think they perform much better in the puncture department than the BRR score would have you believe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

That's good to hear. I've been considering a pair as my winter/ shitty weather tyres for when I finally kill my current rubber.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

ads wrote:
MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
I'm another south Londoner and tbh I wouldn't ride a cotton based tyre on any roads around here.. I've been very happy with the Corsa NeXT on my Boras as a good balance of things. (I am on clinchers to be clear)

Hey mate. I'm guessing you'd say the same for tube type (turbo cottons)? Just picked up 4 x 28mms for the spring/summer but will return them if you think they'll be hard to live with around our way...
Tbh I haven't ever run them.. lots of people seem to tho and love them for the feel and the speed of them... Always a tricky toss up

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

ads

by ads

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:05 pm
ads wrote:
MrCurrieinahurry wrote:

Tbh I haven't ever run them.. lots of people seem to tho and love them for the feel and the speed of them... Always a tricky toss up

Only one way of finding out I suppose! Cheers

CFrancis515

by CFrancis515

ads wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:58 am
liam7020 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:41 pm
ads wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:58 pm
Liking the look of the Specialized S-works Turbo 2br 2bliss Ready T2/T5 but doesn't seem to get much love?
I used those exact Specialized tyres for a trip to the Flandrian cobbles last April and subsequently on the sketchy roads along the north coast of Ireland (which as probably worse!) without any issues. They're pretty much true to the stated width on a 26mm external width rim, no punctures so far and they roll reasonably fast for a chunkier tyre. Stated weight is 305g, both of mine came in at 320g.

There's still plenty of wear left on them yet so I'll probably leave them on my "cobble" wheels for my next trip to Flanders in June!
Thanks mate, that's good to know. Sounds like they may be on a par with the Corsa Nexts and a good training/winter tyre then :thumbup:
If you want similar perforormance and lighter weight, look at the RapidAir version of this tire, its bout 50g lighter and has worked exceptionally well for me for punture resistance.

ads

by ads

CFrancis515 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:11 pm
ads wrote:
liam7020 wrote:
ads wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:58 pm
Liking the look of the Specialized S-works Turbo 2br 2bliss Ready T2/T5 but doesn't seem to get much love?
I used those exact Specialized tyres for a trip to the Flandrian cobbles last April and subsequently on the sketchy roads along the north coast of Ireland (which as probably worse!) without any issues. They're pretty much true to the stated width on a 26mm external width rim, no punctures so far and they roll reasonably fast for a chunkier tyre. Stated weight is 305g, both of mine came in at 320g.

There's still plenty of wear left on them yet so I'll probably leave them on my "cobble" wheels for my next trip to Flanders in June!
Thanks mate, that's good to know. Sounds like they may be on a par with the Corsa Nexts and a good training/winter tyre then :thumbup:
If you want similar perforormance and lighter weight, look at the RapidAir version of this tire, its bout 50g lighter and has worked exceptionally well for me for punture resistance.
Nice one thanks. Have you ridden the GP5K STR? Much difference in feel?

liam7020

by liam7020

CFrancis515 wrote:
Am I right in thinking that the RapidAir version is only available in 26mm?
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

CFrancis515

by CFrancis515

liam7020 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:42 pm
CFrancis515 wrote:
Am I right in thinking that the RapidAir version is only available in 26mm?
Thats correct, only in a 26mm for now. I ran them on hookless 23mm wide Enve 6.7s though with no issues.

CFrancis515

by CFrancis515

ads wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:31 pm
CFrancis515 wrote:
ads wrote:
liam7020 wrote:

Nice one thanks. Have you ridden the GP5K STR? Much difference in feel?
Yes, I've bee nthrough quite a few sets of GP5000S TRs, in 25 and 28, probably the best tire on the market in my opinion. Lately I've been running the GP5000S TT on my road bikes and havnt noticed any durability difference between them and the standard STR, they are a bit lighter and faster as well! If you can find them online for the right price they are worth running!

George46GR

by George46GR

Challenge Criterium RS for me (27/28mm). More than 5000 km, still like new, no punctures so far.
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

ads

by ads

Cheers guys

xiyuwang

by xiyuwang

Went for corsa pro and pro TT, eventuall I go back to GP5k STR... I do like the signature rolling noise of GP5k. It is surely not on the puncture proof side. In fact, as long as you care about rolling resistence, these top performing ones are not that durable.

FYI, I run a pair of DT arc 1100 and zipp 404. I got two fatal punctures on these 404s (the sealant failed to seal and have to replace) in around 6 months. Both hits happened on road instead of when I am riding gravels. So, I guess GP5000STR is actually quite capable of hanlding gravel... and bumpy asphalt. Interestingly, my arc 1100 is still running inner tubes and I often pump up to 80psi and I haven't get a flat on them in 6 months...

I guess running low-pressure does come with the risk of getting puncture more often. And, I use silca ultimate sealant, not that helping plus a lot of hassle because the valve got stuck very quickly while the sealing is not that effective compared to what is marketed. It also east through the original rim tape of 404 and both of my wheel got reinstalled tape shortly after I changed the sealant. I think orange sealant might be a better choice, don't expect too much of it, it will be good before 40-50psi. If you want to go back to 60psi or higher, it is likely it won't hold.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I've run Orange Sealant filled tires at 100psi...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

CFrancis515 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:05 pm
Lately I've been running the GP5000S TT on my road bikes and havnt noticed any durability difference between them and the standard STR, they are a bit lighter and faster as well! If you can find them online for the right price they are worth running!
These look like they have potential. According to BRR, same tread puncture resistance as the STR, lower sidewall but no lower than the Corsa Pro. 3w and 30g total saving for a little less sidwall protection seems worth while assuming you don't do any improvised gravel :D

Lower static grip though :(