New ENVE's Hub - Innerdrive System

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
CJosephB

by CJosephB

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
The first generation ENVE road hubs successfully addressed many of the shortcomings of current bicycle hub designs. Four years later, we are proud to introduce the ENVE INNERDRIVE™ System, an allnew, 100% ENVE drive mechanism shrouded in an allnew premium straight-pull hubshell to further enhance performance and the ride experience.

ENVE INNERDRIVE™ System w/ Perfect Preload™
Four engagement options
Hubshell geometry refinement
Anti-twist spoke holes - straight-pull only
One spoke length per wheel
Lighter weight
https://enve.com/pages/innerdrive-hubs

Looking forward to hearing some first impressions

toxin

by toxin

That looks really nice

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

So...a ratchet system like most other hubs these days?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BikeTyson wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:58 pm
So...a ratchet system like most other hubs these days?

An oversized one, so it allows for more PoE without losing durability.

Looks like they are using threaded endcaps for preload this time around.

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

40t to 100t oversize ratchets! Curious how these hubs will feel.

toxin

by toxin

Also a single spring design similar to EXP, but flipped to the other side.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

toxin wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:14 pm
Also a single spring design similar to EXP, but flipped to the other side.
Duke’s BadBoy hub runs a flipped setup too, except the outboard ratchet is machined into the freehub body.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

maybe I should off my current 6.7 and get new 4.5 or another 6.7
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

CJosephB

by CJosephB

In my excitement I may have missed it but did anybody see/read if the ENVE Innerdrive Hubs are made of 7075 or 6061?

C36

by C36

I haven’t yet see the geometry that should be one of the major aspects. The equal spokes length always makes me wonder if they are not lowering some bracing angle.

There is a clip keeping all the ratchet part together when removing the FH body. That seems to be a step back in terms of maintenance, if a tool is needed to pull it out.

I am not sure I get the « 10% extra stiffness from the previous Jbent hub ».

bilbobogeins

by bilbobogeins

I have been using these hubs for about 2k miles. They are paired to 4.5 ses wheels. The second ride a spoke broke on the front wheel where the spoke enters the wheel. And at about 300 miles the rear wheel lost tension. I have road them in all conditions and very heavy rain. As well as 30mph winds with gusts up to 50 and I felt relatively in control. The hub's performance has been great and i like the free hub sound. They have not missed a beat fast engagement and no maintenance. The wheels and hubs are much better than the 454 nsws i also have imo. The weight is very close as well. I will say the spoke failure happened when i has riding in Nice and I could not find replacements anywhere.

CJosephB

by CJosephB

bilbobogeins wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:52 pm
I have been using these hubs for about 2k miles. They are paired to 4.5 ses wheels. The second ride a spoke broke on the front wheel where the spoke enters the wheel. And at about 300 miles the rear wheel lost tension. I have road them in all conditions and very heavy rain. As well as 30mph winds with gusts up to 50 and I felt relatively in control. The hub's performance has been great and i like the free hub sound. They have not missed a beat fast engagement and no maintenance. The wheels and hubs are much better than the 454 nsws i also have imo. The weight is very close as well. I will say the spoke failure happened when i has riding in Nice and I could not find replacements anywhere.
Hello, are you one of ENVE's testers? This particular Innerdrive hub literally was announced days ago. I'm sure some testers have access to it, surprised nobody has written an article on first impressions. Probably hear more about it in a few weeks.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

CJosephB wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:10 pm

Hello, are you one of ENVE's testers? This particular Innerdrive hub literally was announced days ago. I'm sure some testers have access to it, surprised nobody has written an article on first impressions. Probably hear more about it in a few weeks.

They’ve actually been shipping on new wheel builds for maybe a month already. 2000mi is a lot for a month though…

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Higher engagement points on a road hub is a solution in search of a problem. When was the last time you freewheeled while on the small ring on a road bike? On a road bike you only freewheel while going fast, and if you're going fast you're in a big gear. The big gear will multiply the engagement points on a rear hub by 400-500%. So an 18-point engagement becomes 85 points in the 52-11 gear. High engagement points on a road bike is a pure marketing scam.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:20 pm
Higher engagement points on a road hub is a solution in search of a problem. When was the last time you freewheeled while on the small ring on a road bike? On a road bike you only freewheel while going fast, and if you're going fast you're in a big gear. The big gear will multiply the engagement points on a rear hub by 400-500%. So an 18-point engagement becomes 85 points in the 52-11 gear. High engagement points on a road bike is a pure marketing scam.

…okay but who here said higher engagement is better for road?

The Innerdrive system is not a “road hub” nor is Ratchet EXP or any other freehub driver design. It is a key component of a rear hub and it makes sense to make one design with swappable ratchets for a range of applications including road and trials. If you think for some reason the 60t ratchet is too much for road, then select the 40t. Personally I didn’t like the backlash on my 24t White Industries CLDs and I even find it a minor annoyance on my 36t DT Swiss hubs. I will literally never lose a race because my coasting was .2W draggier than it could have been. There is no practical application for this other than a supertuck race down a brakeless descent.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com