Removing tight tubeless tyre

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
liam7020

by liam7020

By the sound of my tubeless wheels my sealant has dried out so time to refresh. I want to pull off the tyres to clean out the debris but they're extemely difficult to unseat.

The wheels are Farsports Feder 27mm wide and the tyres are Specialized 2Bliss Ready in 30mm width. I'm sure this has been asked already but does anyone have any practical suggestions for getting the damned tyres off! Cheers.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you are having trouble popping the second bead out from under the hooks, reseat the tire and try this. Pop the smallest amount of the first bead off. Move to a completely different section of the tire and pop the other bead out. The reason this works is it keeps the tire under increased tension.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

First of all, don't bother cleaning them out, just add more sealant. You're creating extra work for little or no benefit: you might even open up some sealed punctures.

In normal circumstances, you should try to keep the tyre on the wheel until it's worn out, or you want to move it to a different wheel, apply a patch to the inside, or you need to fit a tube at the side of the road because you have an otherwise irrepairable puncture.

Saying that, I've resorted to levering tyres away from tight aluminium rim beads using mole grips (the manufacturer redesigned the rim because of the problem). Just be careful to protect the rim from the lever action of the wrench, but I'm not sure I'd attempt this with carbon rims. Pouring hot water on them also helped the bead to release.

liam7020

by liam7020

Steve Curtis wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:52 pm
Open an interior door and use the hinge side as a vice.

Put some of the tyre in the gap, close the door enough to grab the rubber, but not enough to pinch it, and use the wheel as a big lever.
I have a wheel set which will not allow tyres to be removed, and this was the only way I could come up with a solution other than cutting them off.
Thanks for the replies. Just found this on another WW thread - works a treat!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen