Bontrager RSL51/62 Wheelset - What Width Rim Tape?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
UltraMaraFun

by UltraMaraFun

Hi All

I treated myself to a set of new RSL mixed depth wheels during the sales and wondered what width rim tape you recommend for the 23mm internal width of the
RSL?
Also, on a separate note, and possibly the wrong section (apologies Mods), I have a set of Roval CLX50 disc wheels, and wondered what people thought they might be worth in GBP £ (I am UK based), I will include tyres (26mm S-Works Turbo RapidAir) and tubes and also the Roval wheel bags if that makes a difference. TIA.
Bikes:
2024 Giant Revolt Adv Pro - AXS Eagle XX1 / GRX820
2020 SystemSIX Hi-Mod - Dura-Ace Di2 12 Speed
2021 Giant TCR ADV Pro Disc - Ultegra Di2 12 Speed
2020 Giant Revolt ADV 2 **For Sale**
2019 Genesis Team Zero Disc - SOLD Oct 2020

Erwin

by Erwin

I would recommend 25mm or 1" wide tape.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

I've got a set of RSL 51's (love them) and used Muc-Off 25mm tape.

I'm using tubes, so one wrap and good to go.

UltraMaraFun

by UltraMaraFun

Thanks for the advice @Erwin & @BikeEatSleepRepeat, as it transpires, the Schwalbe 27mm tubeless rim tape was a perfect fit, one wrap, and all good (using tubes, I am on the fence about road, and the 70-80psi and tubeless).
Bikes:
2024 Giant Revolt Adv Pro - AXS Eagle XX1 / GRX820
2020 SystemSIX Hi-Mod - Dura-Ace Di2 12 Speed
2021 Giant TCR ADV Pro Disc - Ultegra Di2 12 Speed
2020 Giant Revolt ADV 2 **For Sale**
2019 Genesis Team Zero Disc - SOLD Oct 2020

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The rule of thumb for tubeless is internal width +5mm to account for the contour of the center channel. It’s also desirable for the tape to run up the sides a little bit.

So yes 28-29mm tape or 1-1/8” tape is optimal, but 27mm tape will do if that’s all you can find.

Also road tubeless at 80psi, even 100psi is just fine. Use Orange Seal and use a tape that you can wrap twice for without adding much to the diameter of the rim for added piece of mind.

HBike

by HBike

UltraMaraFun wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:37 pm
Hi All

I treated myself to a set of new RSL mixed depth wheels during the sales and wondered what width rim tape you recommend for the 23mm internal width of the
RSL?
Also, on a separate note, and possibly the wrong section (apologies Mods), I have a set of Roval CLX50 disc wheels, and wondered what people thought they might be worth in GBP £ (I am UK based), I will include tyres (26mm S-Works Turbo RapidAir) and tubes and also the Roval wheel bags if that makes a difference. TIA.
I have the RSL 51 and use the Bontrager 27mm rim tape.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com