Lightest Carbon Rim? (Deep, 60mm+)

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
PrettyA

by PrettyA

I've been looking to build an ultra light pair of deep aero wheels with Tactic Hubs and carbon spokes but I was wondering what would be the lightest set of carbon rims that are 60mm deep or more.

So far from my research, I've arrived to the conclusion that Enve's SES 6.7 is the lightest at 430g and 440g.
Light Bicycles' 65mm rims are 500g which would be around the same as Enve's foundation 65 rims
Any other options out there?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

PrettyA wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:51 am
I've been looking to build an ultra light pair of deep aero wheels with Tactic Hubs and carbon spokes but I was wondering what would be the lightest set of carbon rims that are 60mm deep or more.

So far from my research, I've arrived to the conclusion that Enve's SES 6.7 is the lightest at 430g and 440g.
Light Bicycles' 65mm rims are 500g which would be around the same as Enve's foundation 65 rims
Any other options out there?
LB R65 flyweight is 480g. It's hidden from the web front and you need to email them for that rim.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

PrettyA

by PrettyA

Upon further research, I think these are the lightest I can find, not sure if it's truly that light tho, it's 430g which is the same as Enve without the price tag
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568059 ... pt=glo2usa

chrisw91

by chrisw91

PrettyA wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:06 am
Upon further research, I think these are the lightest I can find, not sure if it's truly that light tho, it's 430g which is the same as Enve without the price tag
These are crazy narrow - 19mm internal is a throwback to 5-10 years ago! So would depend on the tyre width that you want to run. Assuming you're thinking of some level of aero performance otherwise you'd be considering a much shallower rim depth?

Although the downside of the Enve rims is that they're hookless.

For a deeper rim depth there will always be a trade-off with weight: go lighter & you're likely to be narrower. But for a modern tyre width you'll need a wider rim with more material = heavier weight.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

jlok wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:22 am
LB R65 flyweight is 480g. It's hidden from the web front and you need to email them for that rim.
Weird dilemma of
going R65 which won't be wider than modern popular tires to save weight. It's even too narrow to pass 105% rule with 25mm labelled tires (inflate to 27mm on the rim) so it lost some of its aero with normal sized tires.
Versus
taking WR65 which is properly wide to remain aero with 28mm labelled tires (inflate to 29-30.5mm) but pay weight penalty.
Versus
drop down to WR50 or AR56 which is shallower but wide, to remain aero with 28mm tires and don't pay weight penalty.

From my use case, I'll never use 23mm tires again and 25mm tires is only okay up front but not the back. Thus R65 is out of question because it's too narrow.
So, I'm currently using WR65 flyweight.

jlok

by jlok

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:48 pm
jlok wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:22 am
Weird dilemma of
going R65 which won't be wider than modern popular tires to save weight. It's even too narrow to pass 105% rule with 25mm labelled tires (inflate to 27mm on the rim) so it lost some of its aero with normal sized tires.
Versus
taking WR65 which is properly wide to remain aero with 28mm labelled tires (inflate to 29-30.5mm) but pay weight penalty.
Versus
drop down to WR50 or AR56 which is shallower but wide, to remain aero with 28mm tires and don't pay weight penalty.

From my use case, I'll never use 23mm tires again and 25mm tires is only okay up front but not the back. Thus R65 is out of question because it's too narrow.
So, I'm currently using WR65 flyweight.
Thanks for telling us your preference. Had I known that I was replying to you I'd have replied differently. Have a nice day.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Hexsense

by Hexsense

jlok wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:59 pm
Thanks for telling us your preference. Had I known that I was replying to you I'd have replied differently. Have a nice day.
No need for passive aggressive like that. I just quote your reply because I was talking about R65 which you propose. Then add my opinion and my choice at the next paragraph for the OP's question. That didn't directly go toward your reply. Maybe there could be a better way to format my response? Or I simply shouldn't quote your reply at all.

I mean, I just want to let OP also consider width as well. Why going 60mm+ deep if it's going to be less aero because it's not wide enough to capture airflow from the tire? Or if OP is going to use 23mm front and 25mm rear. Then go ahead. Use narrow tire and rim to save weight and be aero.
chrisw91 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:01 pm
PrettyA wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:06 am
These are crazy narrow - 19mm internal is a throwback to 5-10 years ago!
Yep, that aliexpress rim is nasty narrow. Almost like it's just deep for the show but too narrow to be aero with usual modern tire size. Again, fine if you run 23mm tires. But I'd go wider (either remain 60mm+ deep or shallower) if I want to use 25 and 28.

jlok

by jlok

@hexsense

Wait a sec! I am also a firm believer of THE 105 Rule. We are in the same team! I will spread the words when I comment on anything aero wheel. I promise. o( ̄▽ ̄)d good

Srsly, I was just telling OP about the weight of LB rim. He said 500g but there is an option of 480g at 65mm depth; did not mean to provoke the 105 crowd and I am uninterested in the discussion of the rule.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Industry Nine has a 65mm rim at 485g with 120kg weight limit (unlike the LW wheels posted above). 21mm IW and 30.5mm EW.

I really think that weight is unbeatable for that size and without low weight limits. That was my previous wheel and I loved it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com