Michelin Power Cup Clinchers

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!

Will you ride off the edge and destroy your £10k bike?

Yes, they’re death traps
13%
Yes, if you run 25s and corner like Pidcock
15%
Yes, if you run 28s and corner like Pidcock
3%
No, for 99% of riders they’re fine
69%

Total votes: 39

ads

by ads

Will i mash up my bike?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Why would you post a question with this particular tone? Have you had a catastrophically bad experience with Michelin bike tyres in the past?

ads

by ads

No but from the general tone of forum posts on this tyre it's either; they're fine or you'll ride off the edge of them.

Trying to cut through the subjecture and get a crystallised opinion.

And, I may have had a few glasses of wine or the like.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Subjecture. Really? This is an internet forum, you should reflect on that.

ads

by ads

Thanks for enlightening me. Have you clocked decent miles on the tyres? If so please vote

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Your post just smells a lot like trolling against Michelin to me that's all. I doubt you'll get valid responses from such loaded questions.

But no I haven't tried the Michelin Cups and don't plan to. I have been very happy with Vittoria Corsa G and Conti gp5000s tr tyres in the past few years.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm not a clincher guy but recently I had..GP5000STR, CorsaG and PowerCup on 3 different wheelsets.. let say PowerCup is on 2 of them now and CorsaG on the other.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Michelins have always made decent tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ads

by ads

not trying to troll michelin. agreed my tone was divisive but that's what happens when i drink wine sometimes.

anyway, tone of post taken into account, it's a genuine question. It'd be crap to stick a set of these on and end up riding off the edge when it's so easily avoided by choosing a different tyre.

sounds like the tread width issue is a bit of a non-issue on the tube-type tyres?

6fu

by 6fu

I've had 25mm pcups on 21mm iw rim. Never felt comfortable. Once lost traction on the rear while descending, hard to say if it was due to tread width or something else, but since then I've always consciously avoided leaning too much.

Changed to nice cotton clinchers (veloflex), because as much pcups are supple for a fully vulcanised tire, they are not a supple as cotton tire. Also no issues with thread width.

ads

by ads

Yeah this is what I'm thinking is the best bet — looking at the 28mm turbo cottons or may just stick with the 26mm that'll come with the bike. Doesn't seem like a gamble worth taking really.

Cheers

Nickldn

by Nickldn

:beerchug:
ads wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:22 am
not trying to troll michelin. agreed my tone was divisive but that's what happens when i drink wine sometimes.
:beerchug:
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

S-Works SL8 Dune White SRAM Red AXS Craft CS5060 wheels Roval Rapide bars 6.6kg

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Decided to roll the dice and try the Power Cup clinchers on my travel bike. I was mostly attracted by reports of superior wet traction and was further seduced by the promise of excellent rolling resistance numbers. I have 28mm on 20.5mm internal rim - 30mm WAM. Latex inner tubes. Tread coverage seems adequate - I tested by leaning the inflated tire on a workbench and eyeballing how much lean it would take to end up on the sidewall. Granted, the tires are not compressed in this sort of test, but tread wraps around the casing far enough for any reasonable amount of lean.

I’ve just begun a month-long stint in the Alps/Dolomites, so just a couple of warm-up rides thus far to test out the Power Cups - perhaps a dozen good technical descents.

I’m in Switzerland at present and have only been on glass smooth tarmac, so not much to report as far as ride quality. My biggest concern was grip while descending, and this is the issue that has most caught my attention. My overall feeling is that I can’t tell how much grip there is. I am a bit baffled. I can only compare to Vittoria Corsa’s, the tire I have used exclusively when in Europe since they were released. With the Vittoria, I could feel in my feet and hands exactly what was going on between the tire and the road surface. On the Michelin’s, I feel more isolated, I can’t quite get the feedback and sensations to which I was accustomed.

I accept that the Power Cups must have superior dry and wet traction. This is a modern tire from a good manufacturer. But because I can’t “feel” the road the way I want to, I can’t trust that it will “let me know” when it is about to let go. The net result is an unwillingness to push on the descents – perhaps a good thing (though for the wrong reason). Also, I assume this is the typical difference between vulcanized and good cloth tires, I get similar relative lack of feedback from my Conti 5000s TR. My sense is the Conti's aren't quite as muted, but to be fair, I have never had them on a big descent - they are on my Ostro which doesn't travel.

Perhaps I would be better off on Veloflex Corsa Evo. Vittoria is out – too many tread delaminations.

It’s early days yet, so I might just need some more time to get to know the Power Cups. A bit of wear might also change things for the better as well. I’ve got about 3000 km, all mountains, on the menu over the next few weeks, I’ll report back with any meaningful updates.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Seems like the Michelin PC run a little on the large size. Anyone else experience this compare to GP 5000’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

I voted fine for most but I still won't use them for the narrow tread reasons
TREK Madone Gen 7 SLR - 7.43kg
TREK Fuel EX Gen 5 - overbuilt and overweight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com