Presta valve not fitting in valve extender

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Ceel

by Ceel

Hi,

One of my tubular's presta valves is leaking air when set on an extender. There is just one valve that fits properly on one extender (the left one on the picture). The other valve does not insert as deep in the extender and therefore leaks. I've tried to switch extenders, switch valves but nothing seems to be solving this. I've got sent one new extender, which does not solve the issue either.
Should I just get a pack of new valves and go from there or has anyone else experienced this?
Any feedback is appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_2691.jpeg

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Vittoria valve needs a Vittoria extender. Nothing else will work as well. Trust me, I have run Vittoria tubs for many years and non Vittoria extenders are a lottery at best.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ceel

by Ceel

Nickldn wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:29 pm
Vittoria valve needs a Vittoria extender. Nothing else will work as well. Trust me, I have run Vittoria tubs for many years and non Vittoria extenders are a lottery at best.
I'm using two Vittoria extenders..

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Ceel wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:50 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:29 pm
I'm using two Vittoria extenders..
In that case you may have a faulty valve on the tub, or a faulty extender.

Try wrapping a bit of PTFE tape around the bit of the extender which goes into the valve. You can also wrap electrical tape around the join once it's locked in place. That helps keep it tight.

I have had my fair share of issues with extenders and hate them. The above tips have made the join much more reliable.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress