WH-R9270-C60 Bearing Upgrade

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Scottylaw91

by Scottylaw91

Hello WeightWeenies Family,

I currently own the Shimano C60 wheelset (WH-R9270-C60) and the bearings are feeling a little slow. Has anyone changed the bearings or worked on them to make them spin better?
If so, which bearings should I change to or how can I make the wheels spin better?

Thank you in advance,
Scottylaw91

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gruppetto

by gruppetto

Shimano uses conical bearings. There is not much to upgrade. Maybe switch the balls for ceramic balls.
I think a correction of the bearings preload and the right amount of grease might be more promising. Also keep in mind it does not matter how a bearing spins without load, but under load.

Emerald102

by Emerald102

I agree, I had a similar issue with my own wheelset once. What worked for me was replacing the bearings with some high-quality ceramic ones.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

Scottylaw91 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:44 am
Hello WeightWeenies Family,

I currently own the Shimano C60 wheelset (WH-R9270-C60) and the bearings are feeling a little slow. Has anyone changed the bearings or worked on them to make them spin better?
If so, which bearings should I change to or how can I make the wheels spin better?

Thank you in advance,
Scottylaw91
My R8170's felt a little sluggish straight from the manufacturer. I opened them up to look, reapplied some grease and applied less preload when putting them back together. They feel smoother now. Could be your Dura Ace's were slightly overtightened like my Ultegras were.

satanas

by satanas

It might be seal drag too, which you can feel off the bike but is negligible in actual use.