Tire width for commmuting

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
idickers

by idickers

I could probably fit a 38c tire. But lack of facilities at work may limit me to riding when there is not so much snow and slush. It MIGHT have made a drippy mess in the stairwell carrying the bike up to my office, and there are no good places to store the bike safely at work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

idickers

by idickers

Addendum: I rode home on a mix of snow, and then cleared pavement alternativing with iced pavement, and am glad to be alive. After losing the front end 3 times, and going off road twice, I think I see the advantage of stidded bicycle tires. That was the scariest riding I've done in many years.
Last edited by idickers on Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AsphaltAddict

by AsphaltAddict

I use the Conti GP 4Season since autumn and they are great, when it is wet on the roads and above 0°C (above 32 Fahrenheit).

However, if there is even the slightest coat of hoar-frost on the road, they are difficult to handle. I skidded my rear wheel on the road last week and slid over the road, giving me a slight road rash (those thick material winter bibs and jacket prevented worse injuries) and was lucky not to have a car behind or in front of me, since it was on a fun ride on a sunday.
There wasn't even black ice, just a tiny frost layer on the tarmac in a spot in a house shadow where the sunlight couldn't reach through.

So I can recommend the GP4S for wet roads in mild weather, but not when it has been freezing.

usr

by usr

CampagYOLO wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:49 am
Sidewall grip doesn't matter so much, wet dark roads aren't the time to be heavily leaning into corners!
But wet dark roads are the time to unknowingly hit some small ridge in the road surface at an odd angle. Side grip is not just for extreme cornering.

froze

by froze

if you know you will be going with a 35mm tire but are still concerned about the ride quality, then the only thing you can do is to make sure you buy the most subtle casing.

The most subtle casing I know of is probably the 700x35 Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass with the extra light casing, you can even select tan or black sidewalls.

If you go with a 35 tire, the calculator I use I put down 176-pound rider plus a 20-pound bike, so the total weight would be 196, at that weight and size of tire your psi should be 47 in the front and 53 rear for tubed tire, for a tubeless it would be 37/40

if you are staying with the 30 tires then I would use 62f/67r; or tubeless 47/51

TidyDinosaur

by TidyDinosaur

CampagYOLO wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:51 am
idickers wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:26 pm
Another tire I keep hearing about is the Schwalbe Marathon GreenGuard. Would that be a decent tire for wet-weather commuting plus some puncture reisistance?
I currently use a Continental Contact Urban in 37mm. It's grippy, tough and fairly fast but you definitely notice the extra weight. A Marathon would be similar.
Also my tire of choice. I have them set up tubeless.
They lost air relatively fast after the initial setup (I had to put some more air in them weekly), but after a few months I topped off the sealant and it is holding air a lot better now.