Ultra-light weight (55-60g) butyl vs TPU inner tubes?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Catagory6

by Catagory6

i've been looking on line to try and find comparisons, and it seems like everybody is comparing TPU tubes to standard (100g) or even heavy-weight (120g) butyls.
aside from my disbelief that people actually run these inner tubes in their performance road bikes, these comparisons seem purposely skewed.

i've never actually used ultra light wieght butyls. mostly conti race lite (72g)

not only am i interested in a more reasonably balanced comparison of TPU and butyl, but i was wondering about the durability of ULW butyl tubes as well.

thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Run latex and carry tpu as repair. Tpu rides like absolute crap and the people that deny this obviously have no real road riding experience. Lightweight butyl is the worst of all worlds.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

jlok

by jlok

Which light butyl would support 28-30mm width-as-measured tire?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Mocs123

by Mocs123

IMO - Latex is superior in both speed and ride quality to both TPU and Bytul. I do carry Continental Race Lights or Specialized Turbo Talc's are spares as latex tubes can be finicky to install on the side of the road.

TPU tubes - at least when I tried them a few years ago were hard to patch, making them essentially $35 disposable tubes.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Extra lightweight butyl is puncture prone, loses air quickly AND slow.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

wheelbuilder wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:27 am
Run latex and carry tpu as repair. Tpu rides like absolute crap and the people that deny this obviously have no real road riding experience. Lightweight butyl is the worst of all worlds.
This. Also when I tried RideNow TPU tubes the failure rate concerning leaky valves was far too high. I went back to latex and don't regret doing so at all.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

only 2 times i've tried latex, they tore a hole right at the valve stem on the first ride

i also ride carbon rim brake clinchers

Prusoli

by Prusoli

I'm on rim brake carbon wheels, and I'm concern about heat on long hill descent...
I've heard they could explode/fail with heating.
That's the reason why I do not use latex tube but light butyl tube.
Am I right ?

NB I don't use TPU neither because of the difficulty to patch them, and I fear of having 2 punctures on a ride (And I don't whant to carrry 2 spares)

thanks for your thought

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Prusoli wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:40 am
I'm on rim brake carbon wheels, and I'm concern about heat on long hill descent...
Am I right ?

NB I don't use TPU neither because of the difficulty to patch them, and I fear of having 2 punctures on a ride (And I don't whant to carrry 2 spares)

thanks for your thought
Park Tool patches have been fine for me when I've used them on TPU tubes.
2 spare TPU tubes take up way less space and weight than 2 butyl tubes.

charirider

by charirider

Prusoli wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:40 am
Am I right ?

thanks for your thought
I am n same stuation, and using Panaracer R-Air light butyl tubes. With 60mm valve they weigh around 75g. I ride 165g Panaracer Gillar tyres, so total weight is even leas than gp5000+light tpu.
Just too worried using TPU tube on 15km long mountainous descent at +35 degree Celcius...
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

ads

by ads

wheelbuilder wrote:
Is it genuinely that noticeable? I've never run latex but considering it after running TPU this year...

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

ads wrote:
wheelbuilder wrote:
Is it genuinely that noticeable? I've never run latex but considering it after running TPU this year...
Yes. But I'm running 25's. It won't make as huge a difference on super wide rubber I don't imagine.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

ads

by ads

wheelbuilder wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:28 am
ads wrote:
wheelbuilder wrote:
Yes. But I'm running 25's. It won't make as huge a difference on super wide rubber I don't imagine.
I'm 25F @ 80PSI and 28R @ 73PSI... what do you reckon?

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

wheelbuilder wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:28 am
ads wrote:
wheelbuilder wrote:
I agree with you on this. I was messing around with Latex and TPU earlier in the year and was racing 25mm Challenge Criterium's (on TPU) and they felt slightly harsh, went to latex and didn't look back.

However, I popped those TPU tubes into my Strade Bianche's in a 30mm width and they didnt feel harsh at all but I am running these at around 55PSI compared to 75-80PSI in the Challenge's

6fu

by 6fu

I have been running lightweight butyl tubes for years, 80g ones. Since I've switched to tpu (36g ridenow) I've noticed that the ride quality is noticeabley worse, to the point that I feel like I'm waisting nice cotton tires.

I've ordered thinner ones (24g ridenow) so hopefully they'll feel better, although I doubt I'll be putting them on before spring as I don't want to risk punctures in cold weather.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com