Campagnolo Hyperon Ultra freewheel swap

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
wilwil

by wilwil

Can you swap a Shimano freehub for a Campag N3W freehub on these wheels?
Can you swap for the oldstyle Campag freehub on these wheels?
Is there anything specific about these wheels that make it not possible?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

wilwil wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:03 pm
Can you swap a Shimano freehub for a Campag N3W freehub on these wheels?
Can you swap for the oldstyle Campag freehub on these wheels?
Is there anything specific about these wheels that make it not possible?
Yes, you can. Campagnolo make casette bodies for Shimano, SRAM XDR and Campagnolo (naturally).
The part number you need is either FH-N3WA33 (standard bearings, steel on steel, grease lubrication) or FH-N3WA33USB (USB bearings, ceramic on steel, grease lubrication).

The older style cassette body FH-BUU015 won't fit as the drive ring in the newer wheels, starting with Shamal Carbon, is 33mm diameter, rather than 30mm, to better cope with the higher torque loadings produced by the lower gears increasingly in demand, as well as e-bike.

If you want to fit cassettes with either a last sprocket on 11 or 12t, some 10s, all 11s or "non WRL" 12s, then you'll also need CS703 - which is an adapter that uses 4 out of the 8 splines ... and provides a support for those larger sprockets which is not needed with the 9 & 10T top sprocket cassettes. It comes with a longer, dedicated lockring that reaches "through" the adapter to retain both the sprockets and the adapter in place.

I say "some" 10s cassettes because N3W is only suitable for 10s cassettes that use the 4-spline engagement on all sprockets - so generally, this is the cassettes with 1 x 2 sprocket pair at the "back", retained on an alloy carrier (current Veloce 10), or earlier cassettes in the higher ranges with multiple paired sprockets on alloy carriers.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

wilwil

by wilwil

Thanks Graeme. I thought the adapter for 11t sprockets was AC21-N3W which includes the extension and the lock ring?
I didn't realize there was a version with ceramic bearings. I've had a quick look and it's not readily available. I guess it's to match the cult bearings in the hub. Is that necessary? Did the old 30mm freehub have a ceramic version?

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

wilwil wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:46 pm
Thanks Graeme. I thought the adapter for 11t sprockets was AC21-N3W which includes the extension and the lock ring?
I didn't realize there was a version with ceramic bearings. I've had a quick look and it's not readily available. I guess it's to match the cult bearings in the hub. Is that necessary? Did the old 30mm freehub have a ceramic version?
Hey!
The adapter part number - yes sorry - AC21-N3W *includes* CS-702 (the lockring) for 11-up cassettes
You will need to order, additionally, 703 for 12-up cassettes. My bad, apologies.

Yes, the cassette body that was released with Hyperon Ultra has USB, FH-N3WA33USB, it's available as a spare part but I don't think most vendors have started imporing yet, although it'll fit any of the 33mm drive ring wheels with TA (Levante, Shamal, WTO Ultra, the newer, 33mm drive ring, WTODB ...).

Is it necessary - well, good question. Lower rolling resistance than the conventional bearing so it limits overall resistance to pedalling. Not a game changer but a nice-to-have. And it's red ...!
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

mriddle

by mriddle

The backward compatibility on the N3W is confusing...
If I have 12 speed 11-29 cassette and buy a pair of Hyperons do I need the adapter or not?

rollinslow

by rollinslow

mriddle wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:25 am
The backward compatibility on the N3W is confusing...
If I have 12 speed 11-29 cassette and buy a pair of Hyperons do I need the adapter or not?
Yes. and I believe they come with the N3W adaptor.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

btw, real-world reivew anyone? How would you compare it with other wheelsets you've owned?

On paper these factors sound great:
1. Light
2. Assymetric rim for better DS-NDS spoke tension balance (needed more for lower profile rims)
3. Profile is low enough to be unaffected by crosswind
4. 2:1 front wheel with radial lacing on the 1 side and very wide flange for maximum strutural stiffness
5. Internal nipples for maximum drag saving
6. Upgraded freehub bearings to USB type (first to see on Campy wheels?)
7. Unmatched rim finishing quality.

Doubts:
1. V-shape like profile actually catches more crosswind?
2. Is the 1:1 2x/2x lacing on this wheelset really better than 2:1 2x/0x (Bora WTO) or 2x/1x (Vision / Shimano / Roval)?
3. With this price we can buy virtually any wheelset (spoke laced, excluding exotic one-piece carbon constructions like LW, Mavic or Corima, etc)...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10