New Roval Wheels

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
maxima

by maxima

Would like to check in if anyone have information of new Roval Road wheelset coming out --> :mrgreen:

ichobi

by ichobi

Why would they be? The gen 2 just came out earlier this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scapewalker

by scapewalker

I'd love to see them have a go at a super deep yet somewhat stable wheelset in 2024 even though it's gonna be a niche product.

All of their top riders including Remco go off brand for TT front wheels which can't be in their interest.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

ichobi wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:51 am

All the Chinese brands are going carbon spokes lately. Cadex has also gone with carbon spokes and boasts some nice performance stats in direct competition to Roval. Even if Roval kept the hubs and rims the same, they could shave about 100g if they moved to carbon spokes while increasing overall stiffness to the wheels. Then again perhaps there is a good reason they are avoiding carbon spokes for now?

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Carbon spoked Rovals would be an excellent enhancement to the 2024 S-Works SL8, along with the new SRAM Red.

Whether carbon spokes are sufficiently well developed for the mass market is a totally different question though. I guess Spec will need to decide that.

toxin

by toxin

Stren spokes are perfectly fine for mass market, only issue is it's impossible for regular people to just buy carbon spokes like you can with steel

Jaisen

by Jaisen

toxin wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:59 am
Stren spokes are perfectly fine for mass market, only issue is it's impossible for regular people to just buy carbon spokes like you can with steel
Nextie is selling some at a decent enough price 8$ per spoke (including the nipples).
https://www.nextie.com/accessories-carbon-spokes

I am comsidering rebuilding my Ultegra wheels with them as an experiment.

pushpush

by pushpush

I kind of assume that the next Roval wheels will look a lot like what we are seeing from CRW today. Similar dimensions and profiles, carbon spokes, full tubeless support, lightweight custom hub body with DT internals (CRW are a copy of DT internals it appears), and back on a weight diet.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

pushpush wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:13 pm
I kind of assume that the next Roval wheels will look a lot like what we are seeing from CRW today. Similar dimensions and profiles, carbon spokes, full tubeless support, lightweight custom hub body with DT internals (CRW are a copy of DT internals it appears), and back on a weight diet.
Hope so, that's exactly what the SL8 needs. Let's see if Spec can step up. :D

TLN

by TLN

They probably want to release it, but it needs to be tested all the way through.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

ichobi

by ichobi

Like it or nor the carbon spoked wheels are not quite there for prime time big stage yet for these mega corp. Fine for smaller new chinese brands, but these big companies can't afford a single failure (or gasp, the news), not to mention their dealers or service center must be able and equipped to deal with replacement etc. Look at the shenanigan that is Roval Rapide CLXII and their made up story about sagan broke the rim, not supporting tubeless yada yada, subsequently increasing rim weight by 100g. Zipp also low key increases their hookless wheels weight by almost 100g as well after proclaiming the hookless is the second coming of jesus lighter and cheaper to make, until someone probably crash and crank the rims.

Cadex managed it since they are big (Giant) and have the resources. If anything Roval will probably be rather conservative with their next iteration and improvement to avoid that kind of bad pr again. Do you also notice that their pro teams ride 100% rapide gen 1 with clinchers? Not sure why but it's not a good look.
Last edited by ichobi on Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

maxima

by maxima

All the shops/dealers are task to take in stock and flush out stock..............typically before a new release!!!!! The new wheels are coming, just ont sure it is the carbon spokes Rova or this include a widening of external rim width to 30mm-32mm for the Aplinist?
ichobi wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:51 am

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

pushpush wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:13 pm
Minus carbon spokes, that's what they are already. Probably because CRW largely copied (was inspired by?) Roval design ideas

toxin

by toxin

ichobi wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:14 am
Like it or nor the carbon spoked wheels are not quite there for prime time big stage yet for these mega corp. Fine for smaller new chinese brands, but these big companies can't afford a single failure (or gasp, the news), not to mention their dealers or service center must be able and equipped to deal with replacement etc. Look at the shenanigan that is Roval Rapide CLXII and their made up story about sagan broke the rim, not supporting tubeless yada yada, subsequently increasing rim weight by 100g. Zipp also low key increases their hookless wheels weight by almost 100g as well after proclaiming the hookless is the second coming of jesus lighter and cheaper to make, until someone probably crash and crank the rims.

Cadex managed it since they are big (Giant) and have the resources. If anything Roval will probably be rather conservative with their next iteration and improvement to avoid that kind of bad pr again. Do you also notice that their pro teams ride 100% rapide gen 1 with clinchers? Not sure why but it's not a good look.
Cadex are using STREN spokes, no reason why spesh couldn't. They're also one of the biggest manufacturers out there.

voicycle

by voicycle

Agreed that some relatively minor iterative improvements would be sufficient for next gen, but the Rovals also need to get a bit wider to keep up with Enve and Zipp. I think it's a mistake to release any new top-tier wheelset unless it profiles well with at least a 28c Conti, Vittoria, and Schwalbe tire. 28s inflate wider than the Rapide rear right now, and if you're going to widen one mould you might as well do both. 23-25c internal seems like the new norm. Could get a bit extreme in terms of fork clearance if they do that and preserve the pronounced step on the front rim though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com