Current Tyre Choice

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
FishNo6

by FishNo6

Erwin wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:38 pm
What a BS article! Where are the measured datas? Only an awful lot of words and here and there 10% mentioned. :mrgreen:
But, but, it's 10% better!
Where the riding between the two tires really differs is the 10 % weight difference of the 700X28. Since it is slightly heavier by 10 %, it makes your tire’s performance 10 % better. This means that there is a very slight difference in rim protection, ride safety, mileage, and weight.
We're close to the ai apocalypse when it can effortlessly draw on the wisdom of Nigel Tufnel. :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valy

by Valy

Having been with Vittoria Open Corsa/G2 with latex tubes for a while, the recent delamination issues drove me to GP5000s.
Good. Ride is nice enough - a bit tauter than Corsas/G2. Puncture resistance very good and overall much better than GP4000s.
Currently running Vredestein Fortezza Senso Superiore. They feel alike Corsas/G2 but surprisingly even more supple. Probably the supplest tire out of what I tried. (Largely as above)
Of note - puncture resistance is fine so far, but I do low miles and I did have the casing actually split inside (!) on one of them after less than 100-200km. That pinched the latex tube and the split itself was about 5cm-7cm long, as per grain of the casing. This makes me think they are very weight/suppleness optimised. Certainly, from handling them, they are very, very svelte on the sidewalls/carcass of the tire.
Have always wanted to try the exotic sounding Tufos/Challenge but not fully aware of benefits over the more “mainstream” cotton cased tires. Would welcome any insight if you have used a mix similar to me.

AsphaltAddict

by AsphaltAddict

Hi fellow road bikers,
which tubeless tire would you suggest for a non-competitive endurance rider for summer (30-32 mm tire width)?
I currently ride Continental GP 4Season (only in 28C because of fender/mud guards), they are perfect in winter, but too slow and harsh for summer.

I value highly:
  • comfort and suppleness, especially on cobblestones and rough tarmac (I can use up to 34 mm tire clearance)
  • grip in corners and wet grip
  • speed a/k/a low rolling resistance
Not so important are
  • puncture protection (tubeless does that job perfectly since 18.000 km not one puncture)
  • longevity and durability (I don't care if they'll be ridden down quickly as long as their comfortable and fast)
  • price (I pay gladly for very comfortable and fast tires)
Thanks for your recommendations!
I am waiting for Black Friday deals, so I can get 2 pairs cheap for next season.

charirider

by charirider

Either Panaracer Gillar or it's current substitute Panaracer Agelist Light for me.
165g in 25mm with puncture protection belt and grippy compound.
It is 60g lighter than same sized gp5000 and I just couldn't go back to heavier tires. In combination with Panaracer R-Air light butyl tubes still lighter than gp5000 + lightest tpu, but much safer for carbon rim brake clinchers.
Their Agelist Tubular is also very nice and light.
Maybe one day when I have the time I will get light tubular wheelset and set up it with these.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

Aeo

by Aeo

AsphaltAddict wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:52 pm
  • comfort and suppleness, especially on cobblestones and rough tarmac (I can use up to 34 mm tire clearance)
Cornering grip disqualifies the Power Cup, wet grip disqualifies all Challenges. Comfort points towards cotton tyres, leaving Vittoria and Veloflex. Veloflex does not make a 32mm in their most premium tyre.

Leaving you with a Vittoria Corsa Pro, very expensive tyre.

You can wait for the release of the Tufo Comtura Prima 30mm

If you value wet grip above everything else, the Goodyear Eagle F1 R (only available in 30mm)
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

I find Power Cup grip to be good both in the wet and dry. Certainly better than GP5k

AsphaltAddict

by AsphaltAddict

Thanks for the recommendations!
That brought up many tires I didn't even know of (Tufo Comtura, Panaracer Gillar). I just knew about the usual suspects (GP5000, Vittoria Corsa).
Since I'm not in a hurry (the 4 Season will do till spring), I might as well wait until Tufo releases the 30 version.

billendk

by billendk

Just mounted tufo prima 28mm on 18 iw wheels. They measured 29mm

Harder to mount than my power cup, but i also use tpu innertubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wooger

by wooger

Where did you buy your Tufo Comtura Prima, and which country are you in?
BigBoyND wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:42 am
I find Power Cup grip to be good both in the wet and dry. Certainly better than GP5k
The tread width issue is real, and doesn't go away at any size of that tyre. Anyone running 20mm+ internal rims should just not use it.

req110

by req110

I am riding this most of the time:

Continental GP 5000 S TR 28mm with 15g foam insert and 30ml of sealant. A good choice. But heavy.

i had some S-Works clinchers (Turbo T2/T5 26/28mm) and RideNow 25g tubes, so I mounted them. (I will ride them later this week)

It made 140g weight difference. That's a lot for rotational weight.

GP5k S TR would be probably faster, but keep in mind that "feel of acceleration" must be completely different if you save so much weight on rotational mass.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

AsphaltAddict wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:48 am
Thanks for the recommendations!
That brought up many tires I didn't even know of (Tufo Comtura, Panaracer Gillar). I just knew about the usual suspects (GP5000, Vittoria Corsa).
Since I'm not in a hurry (the 4 Season will do till spring), I might as well wait until Tufo releases the 30 version.
Tufo will be relabeling their sizes, since they turned out so oversized. The new 30mm will be the current 28mm.

If you're waiting for the new 30mm, then you can buy the 28mm now.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

wooger wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:42 pm
Where did you buy your Tufo Comtura Prima, and which country are you in?
BigBoyND wrote:
The tread width issue is real, and doesn't go away at any size of that tyre. Anyone running 20mm+ internal rims should just not use it.
It's an issue for a tiny minority. For me (28mm tire on 21mm IW wheels) and 99% of everyone else, the tread coverage is enough.

billendk

by billendk

wooger wrote:Where did you buy your Tufo Comtura Prima, and which country are you in?
BigBoyND wrote:
From Denmark and bought them for bike discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Xabi

by Xabi

Aeo wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:26 am
AsphaltAddict wrote:
Cornering grip disqualifies the Power Cup, wet grip disqualifies all Challenges. Comfort points towards cotton tyres, leaving Vittoria and Veloflex. Veloflex does not make a 32mm in their most premium tyre.

If you value wet grip above everything else, the Goodyear Eagle F1 R (only available in 30mm)
I'm using 30mm Corsa pro and 32mm veloflex Corsa Evo tlr.

Veloflex dont feel much slower, wider thread on veloflex is reassuring.

28,30 and 32mm corsa pros have the same tread width.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

Xabi wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:25 pm
Aeo wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:26 am
AsphaltAddict wrote:

I'm using 30mm Corsa pro and 32mm veloflex Corsa Evo tlr.

Veloflex dont feel much slower, wider thread on veloflex is reassuring.

28,30 and 32mm corsa pros have the same tread width.
Incorrect regarding Corsa Pro tread width. The 700x28 has a 30mm tread width, the 700x30 and 700x32 have 32mm tread width.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com