Building straight pull spoked wheel, calculated spoke length is too short:(((

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
peligro

by peligro

Rim is Mavic Open Pro Disc erd 595 (verified by measurement)

Hub is an unbranded 24h straight pull centerlock 100x12 front.

Measured with calipers.

Center to Left Flange: 27
Center to Right Flange: 35
L and R PCD 40

2x lacing

Two different spoke calculators gave the the same figure ~289. I bought 290s and the spokes are too short to even lace up the wheel.

I have built ~10 j-bend wheelsets over the years using random calculators and never had an issue. I triple checked my measurements. The spoke heads were all seated correctly.

What am I not understanding here?

Aesch

by Aesch

Did you use a straight pull compatible calculator?
When I put in your measurements, they do end up at 288/290.

Maybe a lot of offset in the spoke seat? That wouldn't explain the fact you can't even start lacing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

peligro

by peligro

I think you are right that offset is the issue. I can't think of another explanation.

The DT calculator gave me the same length in both straight and j bend mode.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Most spoke calcs don't actually factor in that a straight pull hub with spoke tabs locates the opposing spoke ends at the same point.
As opposed to equally spaced holes around the flange.
That issue can add 3-4mm to the spoke length.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I'm having a similar issue in rebuilding a pothole injured Hunt Carbon Areo 30 rear wheel.

Based on some info from the Hunt website, I didn't order the correct rim and so the existing spokes are too long. BUT, using the data from Hunt (Hub & Rim dimensions and existing spoke lengths) and using the DT Swiss calculator, don't cget correlating results.

So going to disassemble the wheel againm and remeasure using this site - https://spokecalc.io/measuring-a-straight-pull-hub.php - and the methodology that he uses to measure rim ERD (another page).

He also mentions how to measure the spoke offset (Dimension H is the one I think you are referring to)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

svendsvin

by svendsvin

If the opposing spokes connect to the same flange/point (like the picture above) you should input 2.5x lacing (and not 2x lacing). The dt swiss calculator can do fractional crossings. But also remember to still add spoke offset