Prime Primavera 56 unstable

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
theOrtherion

by theOrtherion

SaladhOlivier wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:52 am
I have had a similar experience with Primavera 44 on two different frames - a Cube GTC SL with mudguards and Time ADH Disc. The front on the former was very unstable in conditions similar to you described. Perhaps, mudguards also contributed to that. On the latter the front wheel is unstable and twitchy at higher speeds, like, 50kph+. I even got a speed wobble on one of my last rides, which I have never experienced before.
Perhaps, it's a shape of the wheel, which contributes to instability. The wheels certainly don't give me confidence.
In a contrast, I have bontrager aeolus rsl 51 wheels and those were very predictable in very gusty conditions. They act rather as a sail, but nothing like Prime.

Some years ago I also had relatively cheap Hunt u-shape 50, and my experience with them was similar to Primaveras.
Hello, can you please confirm which Hunt wheels did you have? Im considering the current Hunt 50 to replace the primaveras but i dont want another wheelset that are super wind sensitive and unstable.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

theOrtherion wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:31 pm
Hello, can you please confirm which Hunt wheels did you have? Im considering the current Hunt 50 to replace the primaveras but i dont want another wheelset that are super wind sensitive and unstable.
I'm not the original poster, but I also had some Hunt Aero wheels (the 54 Aerodynamicist) and they indeed were very good in crosswinds for their depth. About as controllable as my Roval Terra CLs, and much better than a set of Enve 5.6s. Never really did test if they were faster overall vs the Enves, but they certainly didn't feel overall slower.

Hated the super-loud freehubs though

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

theOrtherion wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:38 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:12 pm
theOrtherion wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:22 pm
One thing I noticed is the fact that the front wheel is not balanced. It always rotates to a specific point (that is the valve). Will also try to balance them to see if that helps.
That is the case with 99.9% of all bike wheels (100% of the wheels I have owned). And most bike wheels work pretty well even when descending at c. 50mph.

Balancing bike wheels is a niche past time, even for pros.
My dt Swiss erc 1400 45mm sit completely still and I feel very secure with them. The prime just raising the handlebar from the ground the wheel starts rotating and placing the valve to the bottom.
I understand that maybe a some sort of last resource from my side but I can't understand why they are behaving like that considering that the frameset is new as well as the wheels.
Nickldn wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:57 am
Possibly a good idea to check spoke tension. If wheels were not QC'd well then you may have uneven tension, which is causing handling issues.
How do I do that considering I have no tools for that?
bikeboy1tr wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:32 am
I have a 50 Prime tubular wheelset and running Vit 25/28mm and they have been good in the wind,and descents. I am 80kg riding a Col.V2R rim brake and the wheelset has been better than the Easton 55 Echo wheelset that I have as well. The area I ride is typically very windy most of the time and the only thing I dislike about the Prime is the soft aluminum nipples they use as they are delicate when truing a wheel.
One thing about modern frames and the headsets at least some I have worked on is the headset can be somewhat loose but you cant really feel it when grabbing the frame and fork to try and wiggle them. Most times I put a wrench on the headset to check for looseness.
I wish I could say the same because when the wheels work they work just fine. In perfect conditions I can clearly feel the "sail" effect, but that's just 10% of the time. The other 90 are the wheels trying to kill me. What do you mean put I wrench on the headset? The frameset is new. Bought in march.
Just because the frameset is new doesnt mean that everything is adjusted the way it should be or torqued properly.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

SaladhOlivier

by SaladhOlivier

theOrtherion wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:31 pm
Hello,
I had a pair of "4050 carbon aero" wheels.