Gravel Wheels - Tough, Wide, Carbon

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

What are your favorite gravel/all-road wheels? I'm looking for a gravel+ wheelset. Mid-depth around 40-50mm. Wide internal width like 24-26mm. Main use will be gravel rides and races, with some CX in the fall and can throw on some fat slicks for winter riding. Hoping to stay under $1000. I need something that can take a beating.

- Elite Drive G45 $883: 24mm internal, 45 depth. CX Ray spokes. These are at the top of my list right now. Solid weight. They look good. And a decent price.

https://www.elite-wheels.com/product/el ... ecal=Black

- Lun Grapid: a close second place. Cheaper than Elite. Lower depth. 25mm internal width.

- LightBicycle have a set around $750. 25mm internal, 45mm depth. Bitex hubs.

- Farsports: same around $750

- Elite ENT: ~$500. Budget end, probably slightly lower quality but I think they'd be fine. Lower depth though, I think they only come in 35mm deep.

Any other cheap options I'm missing?
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I'd be interested in the new Light Bicycle WG44's. They're possibly too wide but would possibly retain some aero qualities when in fat slick mode

DouglasDDX

by DouglasDDX

I have been looking at a similar wheel set. Except those you already mentioned, the 2 highest on my list are:

Nextie 45CGX
9velo GV45

warthog101

by warthog101

I just got some dt swiss gr1600 goers.
The amount of sh it getting flung up and striking the wheels has made me happy I did.
Also had a rim strike that bent the rim. Being aluminium I was able to straighten it. Carbon it would have been toast.

Yes carbon wheels are great on road, I have several sets. Gravel wheels get a harder life though.
Just my experience and thoughts. Not saying don't get carbon if it works for you.

DouglasDDX

by DouglasDDX

Another option if you don't care about weight and can find them on sale. Reynolds ATR X, I currently have them on my gravel and they are TOUGH and can take a beating. 23mm internal and 1620g for 40mm deep wheels.

The only thing which hasn't held up exceptionally well are the standard bearings.

I'm waiting on my AR25 wheels to shave off 500g.
If I don't feel a big difference I will keep the Reynolds for a future winter/allroad bike because they have exceeded my expectations.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

I'm curious. What tires do u want to run for those wheels?

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

MagicShite wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:58 am
I'm curious. What tires do u want to run for those wheels?
37 Pathfinder Pro for thicker gravel have been my go to. I love them.

I also have a set of 35 Schwalbe G-One RS for races, lighter gravel, faster days. Even tan them in a dry "grass crit" CX race a while back. They're fast.

For slicks I picked up a pair of Challenge Strada HTLR in 36. Though I'm not 100% I'll keep them as the G-One RS is just as fast on tarmac. So I'm not sure what the benefit of the Strada would be. I was also looking at the GP5k AS in 35 for a road tire.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Serenade Bikes probably worth a look as well - they're another Chinese factory. Easiest way to order is to contact them on WhatsApp. 24mm internal and plenty of hub options.

https://www.serenadebikes.net/allroad-7 ... 12786.html

No personal experience but plenty of people on this Spanish forum seem happy with them:

https://www.foromtb.com/threads/censo-r ... s.1184418/

I asked recently and was quoted $530 USD for the flyweight version of the 50mm deep, 24mm into/31mm ext rims, Pillar 1420 spokes, Serenade branded ratchet hubs.

RadB

by RadB

warthog101 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:52 am
The amount of sh it getting flung up and striking the wheels has made me happy I did.
Also had a rim strike that bent the rim. Being aluminium I was able to straighten it. Carbon it would have been toast.

Yes carbon wheels are great on road, I have several sets. Gravel wheels get a harder life though.
Just my experience and thoughts. Not saying don't get carbon if it works for you.
Maybe, although carbon MTB rims have been de rigor for some years now. I suppose the carcass depth and profile on an aero tyre rim combo does create certain exposures that MTB doesn't have to worry about.

warthog101

by warthog101

RadB wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:34 am
warthog101 wrote:

Maybe, although carbon MTB rims have been de rigor for some years now. I suppose the carcass depth and profile on an aero tyre rim combo does create certain exposures that MTB doesn't have to worry about.
Mtb generally run larger more voluminous tyres and at slower speeds too.
I also have some WR50s I put on but stay off the rougher rocky stuff with them.

nickf

by nickf

Been riding and racing on my Farsports 40 deep x 24 internal gravel series wheels for a couple of seasons now. They have been set and forget. Running 40c Terra Speed tires. Our gravel goes from fairly smooth to very chunky and the wheels haven't missed a beat. I'm around 76kg and don't always pick the best line when descending. Mine are built with cxray spokes and Novatec D411/412SB hubs. Well under $1k shipped to the US.

Kubackjeee

by Kubackjeee

warthog101 wrote:

Carbon wheel would not bent. The difference is that carbon always goes back to it's shape, aluminum does not. It is really not easy to strike a carbon rim so hard that it will actually brake.
Scott addict rc
Specialized Diverge e5 comp 2019

warthog101

by warthog101

Kubackjeee wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:04 pm
warthog101 wrote:

Carbon wheel would not bent. The difference is that carbon always goes back to it's shape, aluminum does not. It is really not easy to strike a carbon rim so hard that it will actually brake.
I ride carbon almost exclusively on bitumen.
That hit hard. I know multiple people who have wrecked road wheels hitting pot holes.
I have been around long enough to expect that would have terminally damaged a carbon goer.
Having said that, most I ride with are on carbon.
I just posted that as evidence of what can happen.
Run a bit more pressure and possibly a larger tyre and pick your line and route and the chances are fairly low, I agree.
I straightened that goer and it is still going. Done thousands of ks since and has not happened again. Not sure the pressure wasn't low before that happened. Tubed it to get home.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com