Help Please! Wheelbuilding Question

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Soulmate77

by Soulmate77

Hello guys,

firstly apologies if this isn't the right thread to post this in - I checked out some topics for my questions but I couldn't find enough satisfactory answers to my problem so I hope pro wheelbuilders will provide me with some clear answers based on their experiences.

I've recently bought Rolf rims "Dolomite" for front and "Urraco" for rear and I believe they're from late 90ies. As you know, they're drilled for paired-spoke hubs but unfortunately, I couldn't find their hubs and am inclined to build them with my current Bitex hubs RAF10 front 20H and RAR9 rear 24H. I know this is maybe a really bad idea and it doesn't sound rational at all! but I just wanted to give them a go. I have built lots of wheels so far but never have I built paired-spoke wheels. So, here are my experiences based on my humble guesses:

The original lacing patterns for these rims were radial (250mm spokes) for front rim and 2x (261mm DS, 260mm NDS) for rear rim.

At first, I thought maybe I could use 2x pattern for front rim since my Bites front hub has narrow flanges and could be a stiff built in the end but when I laced it, I ended up with three different spoke lengths - 262mm, 266mm and 268mm. I saw that the bracing angle was a bit narrower due to the long distance between spoke holes in the rim and I gave it up because it didn't make sense to me, am I wrong here ?

After making some other calculations, I got the following questions based on my guesses again:

1-Can I build the front rim using only the radial pattern? I thought it could be done but my choice of spoke lengths is limited in this case.
So, what about using 1x pattern then? I guess 256mm or 258mm spokes could be ideal for this choice. If I laced it in this way, what would be the result? Can I use this wheel only for commuting purposes, let's say, 30 miles every day ?
If I use radial lacing, will it be better, indeed? Even if I have limited spoke lengths, I'll do my best to get the right spokes if radial lacing is the best choice indeed for the front wheel as its original lacing pattern done by Rolf.
2- As regards rear wheel, I thought maybe 3x pattern could be applicable to DS since my rear hub has a wide flange on the right side and for the ND side again radial lacing could be the best option since the left flange is narrower. But then again, I'm not so confident and I really don't know what will be the result like! :)

It's really important for me to hear what you guys say about this building? Does it sound reasonable or not at all? What do you think? I really appreciate your answers and suggestions on this matter. Thank you in advance!

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

The only thing you can't do here is the radial front.

On the rear. The NDS radial is your base. You need to adjust the drive side lengths to match up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Soulmate77

by Soulmate77

joeyb1000 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:58 pm
The only thing you can't do here is the radial front.

On the rear. The NDS radial is your base. You need to adjust the drive side lengths to match up.
Thank you for your reply. :) I did 1x for the front wheel and it seemed OK. On the rear, I tried first radial NDS and 2x DS but the spokes on the DS seemed a bit twisted and I didn't like it. However, I gave it a second try with 3x DS and the look was far greater than 2x, no twist at all! But this time the spokes that I used to lace DS were a bit short (266mm) because I checked all nipples by using flashlight and I saw some spacing in the grooves. I also tried to true the wheel but there was some clear radial wobbling and I thought maybe it was due to these short DS spokes. I just need to get 268mm spokes and see what would happen this time :roll: