Can't resolve strange campagnolo eurus rear hub racket (with video and description)

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
dazaau

by dazaau

Hi everyone, I have tried everything I know, so I am now turning to the collective wisdom of the weenies.

My rear hub makes a terrible noise, but only sometimes, and I have taken a video and have isolated the fact that it only occurs when the freehub is in certain positions, which can be adjusted by moving the crank. You move the freehub/cassette position it goes away, move it some more it returns.

Wheels are old circa 2004 campagnolo eurus G3. Upgraded the axel, bearings and freehub about 3 years ago.

https://youtu.be/5gl1yjiv6SA?si=QGS_xFI1c_vopShQ

Things I have tried:
1. Checked pawls are springy, degreased and greased freehub
2. Looked at the hub teeth, seem ok?
3. Pulled hub apart (cup and cone campy record), cleaned hub, cleaned and degreased bearings, repacked and reinstalled, swapping the bearings around for good measure (they are the same on drive and non drive side). Also adjusted tension.
4. Tried different cassettes

I'm at a loss. Any thoughts appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dazaau

by dazaau

So. The problem is me. When I last serviced the bearings I did not put the washer in the right order, worked for a while and then... problems. I found an exploded diagram from campagnolo and the penny dropped quickly after that - idiot that I am :) very happy as I can not focus on finishing my trek Emonda SLR build :)