GP5000 S-TR vs GP5000 clincher

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
jayjay

by jayjay

mario27 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:57 pm
( I have seen the rim explode from a latex tube explosion)
Why would latex tubes explode?
I've seen this on a friends (disc-brake) bike and we never knew why it happened.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sultanbrunei

by sultanbrunei

mario27 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:57 pm
sultanbrunei wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:03 pm
GP5000 S-TR vs GP5000 clincher

Which one is faster?
Rolling resistance data is better on the new S-TR, however it is 250gram plus 30-40ml sealant, with a total of 290 grams.
The old GP5000 clincher with a 2 watts less RR (according to aeroCoach) is only 215gram plus 24gram TPU tube, with a total of 239 grams.

Real world weight advantage VS rolling resistance data from machine test.
What do you think?
clincher tyre is almost as fast as the s tr, ( it doesn't matter tho because with wrong pressure you will lose more watts than the difference between these tyres ),but more durable and has more thread that will last more kilometers. I wouldn't use latex if I was riding rim brake bike with carbon rims though ( I have seen the rim explode from a latex tube explosion)
If somebody cares about weight for clinchers vs tubeless, he wouldn't own disc brake in the first place. I personally don't trust the tubeless system as it is in bike industry , so for me who own rim brake with carbon wheels the first option to go fast and safely would be clincher with tpu because I ride nearly 20000kms/700H per year. Its the lightest ,fastest,most safe, more durable, with more thread option
TPU is safe for rim brake with carbon wheels?
I personally ride a disc brake. My wife ride a rim and carbon wheels. Right now my wife is using a standard butyl tubes. I am contemplating whether she needs to change the tube to a TPU like mine. As she does climbing and downhill a lot, this heat issue is a big consideration.