CORIMA 47 mm WS EVO reviews, Winspace Hyper, FFWD Ryot...

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

Interested to hear of any real world reviews on the CORIMA 47 mm WS EVO's.

Wondering how they might compare to value priced options like the Winspace Hyper or FFWD Ryot as a couple of examples.

I've got a set of the Corima's coming as stock wheels on a purchase and only see limited, mixed real reviews.

My true desire is a set of the Bontrager Aeolus RSL 51's, but I'm defiantly not in love with the near 3k price tag.

Am I missing an obvious choice in the 45-55 depth range.

Yes, consdiering the Craft... somehow, not quite sold on them.

I'm looking for hooked, only.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Isn't Corima just typical French? Excellent, but slightly outdated.

I have no doubts about the quality and would love to own a set, but if you have a certain budget available and just looking at the specifications, they drive a hard bargain against the likes of Zipp, DT Swiss or Lightweights. The newest generation Corima's are hookless as well.

If they came with the bike I wouldn't replace them. I like the 'Made in EU' aspect.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

Ypuh wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:39 pm
The newest generation Corima's are hookless as well.

If they came with the bike I wouldn't replace them. I like the 'Made in EU' aspect.
That's probably the biggest reason I'm not fond of giving them a long term test run, because they are hookless.

Not to open up that can of worms debate here...

Ypuh

by Ypuh

I had a somewhat similar question a few weeks ago.

On the shortlist were and reasons why I didn't pick them:
Corima WS 47 MCC (the full carbon ones) - Too narrow, even a demo model was by far the most expensive
Zipp FC303 - Very light which is a plus, but hookless and 25 IW might also be a bit too wide for 28-30c tyres
Scope R4.a - Hooked and 23mm seemed perfect, but they're loud and even though 'local', I still get Chinarello feels with the brand which is probably unjust. Also relatively expensive

Ended up with the DT Swiss GRC 1400. External width is 32mm which is cool. IW is 24mm and height 42mm. Only downsides are they're 200g too heavy and hookless. I kinda gave up on rims being hookless seeing Enve, Zipp, Corima, DT Swiss and the like all move to hookless.

Another good option might be the DT Swiss ERC 1400 which is 21mm hooked (DT Swiss still offers both), but those are only slightly wider as the Corima's and considering I want to ride 28-35mm tyres, 21mm IW might already be too narrow.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

Aress

by Aress

I had the previous narrow version (16c) version of the clincher ws47. You have to like stiff wheels like proper proper stiff (the tubular version was much better) but it was a wonderful race wheel, really aero thanks to the low number of spokes (confirmed by tour)
Too bad they were so heavy, everything is overbuilt on those

For me, the new EVOs are an absolute no-go
The 21c internal hookless with a 26 external width means you can't run a 25 since you will be over the max pressure and if you run a 28 it will bulge and ruin the aerodynamic of the wheels

Corima fumbled it once again! i don't know if anyone is riding bikes in this company
Really saddens me since they are a local company to me

if you want Corimas get tubular ones

Beebsta

by Beebsta

Ypuh wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:07 pm

Ended up with the DT Swiss GRC 1400. External width is 32mm which is cool. IW is 24mm and height 42mm. Only downsides are they're 200g too heavy and hookless. I kinda gave up on rims being hookless seeing Enve, Zipp, Corima, DT Swiss and the like all move to hookless.

Another good option might be the DT Swiss ERC 1400 which is 21mm hooked (DT Swiss still offers both), but those are only slightly wider as the Corima's and considering I want to ride 28-35mm tyres, 21mm IW might already be too narrow.
Both the ERC1100 and ERC1400 are 22 mm internal width. Only the ARC ones are 21 mm.

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

Beebsta wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:55 pm
Ypuh wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:07 pm

Both the ERC1100 and ERC1400 are 22 mm internal width. Only the ARC ones are 21 mm.
Actually, the ARC series is 20mm for the disc versions and only 17 for the rim brake models.

Beebsta

by Beebsta

BikeEatSleepRepeat wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:02 pm

Wondering how they might compare to value priced options like the Winspace Hyper or FFWD Ryot as a couple of examples.

I've got a set of the Corima's coming as stock wheels on a purchase and only see limited, mixed real reviews.

My true desire is a set of the Bontrager Aeolus RSL 51's, but I'm defiantly not in love with the near 3k price tag.

Have you considered building a set of wheels with Duke Baccara X48 (or X56) and DTSwiss 180 or 240 hubs? The rim is 23 mm IW.

Aesch

by Aesch

Bontrager rsl51 can be found @1799euros, so in the US you should be able to find them at an even better price.

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

Aesch wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:30 pm
Bontrager rsl51 can be found @1799euros, so in the US you should be able to find them at an even better price.
It's on my short list, along with DT Swiss 1100 (or 1400) D50 and a couple others.

I'd love to know how to get that kind of discount on the RSL 51's, though. List in the states is $2,699 for the pair and you're lucky to find a 10 or 15% discount off that.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Aesch wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:30 pm

Where so you see these RSL51 for 1799 Euro?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Beebsta

by Beebsta

Not quite 1799 euro but decent price for Europe.
https://www.rdrbikes.it/en/wheels/932-b ... wheel.html

Aesch

by Aesch

Beebsta wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:22 am
Not quite 1799 euro but decent price for Europe.
https://www.rdrbikes.it/en/wheels/932-b ... wheel.html
Shop in the Netherlands, I bought mine @1699.- (typo in my first post)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

Scored a take-off set of the RSL 51's at a good buy, so I'm happy about that.

However, it brings up another quandry- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=173804