GP5000 AS TR anyone?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

ducman wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:39 pm
Gonna get the 35mm AS version of this tire, so i can ride at 4bar, better chance it seals little holes then @ high pressure.
Anybody soms experience on these tires?
Been running them all UK winter. Very happy. Will shove another set on when these die
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

joss

by joss

Does it make sense to ride these tubeless tires with (tpu-) tubes?
Regular GP 5000 only goes up to 32mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

no, at this wide tubless definatley makes sense
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

HBike

by HBike

ducman wrote:
Gonna get the 35mm AS version of this tire, so i can ride at 4bar, better chance it seals little holes then @ high pressure.
I have the 35mm on the Giant CRX 1, 25mm inner width on my commuter gravel. Inflates to 37mm, 3.2 and 3.4 bar. Great grip, roll nicely.

spartacus

by spartacus

ducman wrote:
4 bar is WAY too much pressure for a 35c tire like that. I run less than 4 bar in my 28c AS TR

eurperg

by eurperg

I installed 35mm version last night and went for a ride. The tires are very thick and heavy, and it can be felt when riding. I weigh 79 kg and at 3 bars the tires felt quite uncomfortable for their size. Michelin Power Adventure 36 felt better. These of course roll fast as tested by BRR, but lack the suppleness I appreciate. I will definitely try P ZERO Race TLR 35mm as soon as it becomes available.

bobones

by bobones

The AS TR is best regarded as a winter tyre and here it excels. The PZero is not in the same league as an all season tyre as it's much softer, lighter and prone to cuts and nicks. The S TR is a fairer comparison to the Pirellis, and IME, the Conti is the superior tyre.

eurperg

by eurperg

The only tires I can ride during winter are studded tires, so I don't get this "winter" subgenre of road tires at all. I'm just looking for fast slick tires for 50/50 gravel and asphalt riding. If they just made S TR 35, I would probably be happy with it. I ride gravel with Ultradynamico Cava Races and I don't feel like I need any more puncture protection.

bobones

by bobones

UK winters are characterised by constantly wet, debris strewn road surfaces, so you want something that has great wet grip, cut and puncture protection. Big, low pressure tyres like the 35s also help rolling over pot holes and bad surfaces that are hard to see in dull and puddle filled roads.

Attermann

by Attermann

bobones wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:48 am
UK winters are characterised by constantly wet, debris strewn road surfaces, so you want something that has great wet grip, cut and puncture protection. Big, low pressure tyres like the 35s also help rolling over pot holes and bad surfaces that are hard to see in dull and puddle filled roads.
i love my cinturato, they feel like they roll well, they are heavy, but they don't puncture easy, and they have been a breeze to set up tubeless, i live i denmark, and we have the same wet roads with flint stones.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bobones wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:29 am
The AS TR is best regarded as a winter tyre and here it excels. The PZero is not in the same league as an all season tyre as it's much softer, lighter and prone to cuts and nicks. The S TR is a fairer comparison to the Pirellis, and IME, the Conti is the superior tyre.

Are you basing this on experience with the Speedcore tire or the prior version? The Hutchinson-made tires definitely had a soft, cut-prone tread compound, but the Made in Italy tires are markedly better.

bobones

by bobones

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:09 pm
bobones wrote:

Are you basing this on experience with the Speedcore tire or the prior version? The Hutchinson-made tires definitely had a soft, cut-prone tread compound, but the Made in Italy tires are markedly better.
Fair point as I have yet to try the Speedcore version.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

bobones wrote:
Like others said, can't compare it if it's not available in 35mm.

I'm also looking to step up to 34-35mm size and there isn't much that's fast and well balanced in other ways (supplemess, puncture protection, grip). Pro One is undersized, AS TR heavy, Corsa Pro Control is slow.

I hope the likes of S TR, Power Cup, Corsa Pro, Comtura Prima, etc. will launch in 34mm or even 36mm now that a lot of pros use 32mm on cobbles.

kervelo

by kervelo

Some pro teams used AS TR in the Paris-Roubaix:

https://escapecollective.com/gallery-pa ... -part-two/

emotive

by emotive

BigBoyND wrote:
bobones wrote:
Like others said, can't compare it if it's not available in 35mm.

I'm also looking to step up to 34-35mm size and there isn't much that's fast and well balanced in other ways (supplemess, puncture protection, grip). Pro One is undersized, AS TR heavy, Corsa Pro Control is slow.

I hope the likes of S TR, Power Cup, Corsa Pro, Comtura Prima, etc. will launch in 34mm or even 36mm now that a lot of pros use 32mm on cobbles.
The new Enve SES 35mm (manufactured by Tufo) may be a good option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com