GP5000 AS TR anyone?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

After searching for a real alternative to the 2018 5000 TL and with even the new Corsa Pros being tested rather mediocre, I stumbled upon the All-Season version from Conti which was released begninning of this year.

Accoridng to BRR, the tyre is just 1-2 Watts slower than a S TR but with the much better durability and puncture resitance. In addtion, the compound seems to be much grippier being on par with Corsa's. Lower pricing than S TR comes in handy as well.

Anybody here with real world experiences? I found that the grey area of grip for the 2018 TL was very slim. I dont mind losing 1-2 watts during crits when cornering can be done wiht more ease and confidence.
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Just installed, will report back in a few months (35mm)
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

NIce enjoy!
carbonLORD wrote:

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

I'm looking at them for the same reason. BRR data suggests it's very puncture resistant and very grippy.

The S TR changes from TL are a bit annoying tbh. People talk about the S TR like it is the improved continuation of the GP lines of the past. It's not. The S TR is basically the TT based on puncture protection and RR. It didn't even gain RR on the TL while giving up puncture protection!

The AS TR seems to be what the TL/GP5000 (non-TL)/GP4000s used to be. Meanwhile the S TR is a TT in disguise.

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

BigBoyND wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:41 am

The AS TR seems to be what the TL/GP5000 (non-TL)/GP4000s used to be. Meanwhile the S TR is a TT in disguise.
If the S TR is a TT then what's the TT?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BigBoyND wrote:
I'm looking at them for the same reason. BRR data suggests it's very puncture resistant and very grippy.

The S TR changes from TL are a bit annoying tbh. People talk about the S TR like it is the improved continuation of the GP lines of the past. It's not. The S TR is basically the TT based on puncture protection and RR. It didn't even gain RR on the TL while giving up puncture protection!

I vastly prefer the S TR’s beefed up 3x110tpi sidewalls vs the TL’s 2x60tpi sidewalls. The TL sidewalls would get shredded by all the loose debris here.

Puncture resistance isn’t that important to me. That’s what sealant is for.

Erwin

by Erwin

BigBoyND wrote:

I don't share this opinion. I have ridden the 5000 TL quite a lot (25, 28 and 32mm in winter) and now have 4500km on S TR 25/28mm (front/back). 5000km at the back is not so bad. The TL can be used without milk, the S TR not really. But it is minimum 30g lighter per tyre, so that's the weight of the milk. Big advantage of the S TR is they are easier to mount and are ready for hookless (not tested by me).

Is the AS TR not the successor of the 4Season?
When my 5000 TLs are all gone I will try the AS TR, but usually my tyres hold quite good.
GlacialPace wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:59 am
GP5000 TdF Edition :mrgreen:

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I and other half use the S TR in London/Surrey. Both had more punctures than with Corsa and Rubino Pro used in the past.

All punctures have sealed on the road with no need to stop. Big plus that.

So by my perception BRR puncture test result is spot on for this tyre. But to be honest with tubless small punctures matter less, so it's a tradeoff worth making.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Erwin wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:57 am

Not really as Conti pointed out the 4Season is still avaiable and looking at the data, completly different tyre. The AS TR seems to be a bit an odd one in the current line up but I will give it a try on my race bike once the 5000 TLs are gone
carbonLORD wrote:

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

GlacialPace wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:59 am
BigBoyND wrote:

Compare them on BRR. Same puncture protection (vectran breaker), same size, same grip, nearly same weight. The TT tread and sidewalls are marginally thinner. The TT is basically a S TR with 15g of rubber worn off after a few K of riding.

Both have much worse puncture protection than non-tubeless and TL

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Erwin wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:57 am
I don't share this opinion. I have ridden the 5000 TL quite a lot (25, 28 and 32mm in winter) and now have 4500km on S TR 25/28mm (front/back). 5000km at the back is not so bad. The TL can be used without milk, the S TR not really. But it is minimum 30g lighter per tyre, so that's the weight of the milk. Big advantage of the S TR is they are easier to mount and are ready for hookless (not tested by me).

When my 5000 TLs are all gone I will try the AS TR, but usually my tyres hold quite good.
The benefits you list about mounting and hookless are related to the bead, nothing between the beads. Conti can put the S TR bead in the TL and have a tire that is easy to mount, hookless compatible AND just as fast while having better puncture protection.

Tubeless helps with punctures but it's still better to have a less delicate tire if RR can be maintained. The S TR gave up robustness without gaining anything in RR.

There's a reason most people don't train on a Corsa Speed even with sealant, but Conti made that level of robustness acceptable by calling it a "standard" GP tire (I stead of TT)

bobones

by bobones

You're well off the mark equating the Corsa Speed to the S TR for durability or puncture resistance. I used to puncture on a weekly basis with the Speeds, but the S TRs have been trouble free for me and seem to be much tougher than the new Corsa Pros, although the latter win out on road feel.

I have the 28 mm AS TR and the 25 mm TT too. The AS TR might be just what he TL users are missing as they feel similar in the hand with a fairly stiff carcass and substantial weight but are not sluggish on the road. They're also far easier to mount than the TLs, but do require sealant to hold pressure. The main disappointment for me, apart from cost, is that lovely cream colour turned to dark orange very quickly. I'm blaming Silca sealant for this, but I'm not sure. By contrast, my Corsa Pros and Power Cups have kept their light colour even with Orange Seal.

I bought the TTs for weight and I love the feel and apparent speed of these, and they're shaping up to be much tougher than the old Corsa Speeds. I still think the S TR is the one to beat as a fast and durable tyre for daily use as others like the Corsa Pro and Power Cup have compromises of their own.

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Could you share pics of the sidewall?
carbonLORD wrote:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BigBoyND wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:32 pm
The TT is basically a S TR with 15g of rubber worn off after a few K of riding.

No, it isn’t. The TT TR uses 2x110 tpi construction. It is dramatically thinner at the sidewall, so much that you can feel the difference in pliability and thickness in your hand.

My 28mm S TR lasted 4800 miles. My 25mm TT TRs might last 1800 miles.

BigBoyND wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:39 pm

Tubeless helps with punctures but it's still better to have a less delicate tire if RR can be maintained. The S TR gave up robustness without gaining anything in RR.

There's a reason most people don't train on a Corsa Speed even with sealant, but Conti made that level of robustness acceptable by calling it a "standard" GP tire (I stead of TT)

Once again, for my roads the S TR is more robust than the TL. Sidewall punctures are the hardest to seal, so it’s best not having full penetration or tearing at all. The S TR literally has an extra layer of casing for sidewall protection. In real-world usage, it works way better.

And like bobones, I’ve trained on Corsa Speeds in addition to TT TRs and S TRs. The Corsa Speed is by far the least durable tire of the three. The TT TR has held fairly well to daily riding, but I did flat out of a crit recently while riding across a gutter. The S TR has been one of the most reliable tires I’ve ever used after swearing off previous TLs for their sidewall issues.

This tracks with what I’ve seen in the local and national race scene. 90% of the people road racing here are on S TRs. TLs weren’t as pervasive.

bobones

by bobones

ViperFFM wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:03 pm
Could you share pics of the sidewall?
28s with a few hundred miles on them - zero cuts or loose threads. 370g the pair. They do look as if they'll last well.
IMG_5320.jpeg
IMG_5321.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com