Unbelievable Blowout of Conti GP5000S within max pressure.

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

A hooked rim doesn't have this potential fail.
All cyclist don't understand this not even the engineers.
They don't understand anything contradicting their "findings". They say it's impossible because they have test data backing this up.
Usually the same treatments is what you face no matter if it's using to high torque (though you might not have done it).
They claim your frame damage is impossible because accoring to their tests this is not possible.
They often use interpretative priority in matters when they don't intend to stand behind their products.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

People continuing to propagate this lie that hooked rims can’t have blowouts… lol, wow.

This incident is worth investigation by Extralite and Continental. But, until there is a solidly documented (not anecdotal internet stories) pattern of failure, I’ll continue to run both hooked and hookless rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Nejmann wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:36 am
JayDee81 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:52 am
Nejmann wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:34 pm
Had the newest zipp 404 with gp5000 ar cream.
Had them for 2 weeks. At different tire pressures there was a blow out on almost every ride. About 8. Only like 10cm. Major horseshit. Sold and lost 600 eur :noidea: in tires and resell.. baaah..
Which tire it was exactly please? Thanks
The new Conti GP5000 AS Cream in 28mm. Any preussere above 4, and it went off after half and hour ride. Just a little bit, it didn't flat or anything. Maybe that was because of the airliner from Vittoria.
You make it sound as if this is a universal, reproducible problem with the new Conti AS TR. If that was the case and it is indeed widespread I think we would know about it. This is a very popular tire.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:38 pm
People continuing to propagate this lie that hooked rims can’t have blowouts… lol, wow.

This incident is worth investigation by Extralite and Continental. But, until there is a solidly documented (not anecdotal internet stories) pattern of failure, I’ll continue to run both hooked and hookless rims.

Ofcourse all things can fail. I hope you get a better understandibg if it happens to you.
Most do..... Incl those engineers i refer to.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

toxin wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:35 pm
Pogačar's wrist injury happened because he got a double blowout on enve hookless. There have been at least 3 televised cases of zipp hookless blowouts during spring classics
That particular crash was because Honoré from EF hit a pothole at 70kph. Pog & teammate were directly behind and slid out as a result. EF obviously runs tubeless as well + air liners on ocassion // but a pot hole at 70kph is still an excellent way to have a violent outcome using any current tire technology.
Just ride ..

bobones

by bobones

LedZeppelin007 wrote:

What's your take on the incident in this video where a rider hits a pothole that causes his tyre to blow off a Zipp hookless rim? Do you admit that this is less likely on a hooked rim (as long as the rim itself doesn't break)? How much of a localised pressure increase is there above the 5 bar limit when you hit a pothole hard?

I have personally seen enough scares with hookless that I will always believe that I am introducing unnecessary additional risk by riding them.

spartacus

by spartacus

gurk700 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:39 pm

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT want conti / extralite to look into his incident and figure out why it happened, improve the product in the future and go from 1 in a thousand to 1 in tens of thousands of incidents if not eliminate completely.
WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED

but nobody wants to listen

There are variations in tolerances, that's it.And there are no hooks as a backup. Period. No need to investigate.

Y'all are hopeless.

AJS914

by AJS914

Extralite and Continental will not "investigate" this nor reveal any results to the public nor ever admit any liability publically.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

LedZeppelin007 wrote:

no kidding.. the only tire I've ever had leave a rim was Turbo cottons on a CLX50. Tubed and hooked FYI
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Nickldn

by Nickldn

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:26 pm
LedZeppelin007 wrote:

no kidding.. the only tire I've ever had leave a rim was Turbo cottons on a CLX50. Tubed and hooked FYI
As with many things in life it's good to apply a bit of common sense. Yes all tyre systems can fail, but do you think a hookless rim is more, or less likely to fail than hooked, or tubular under adverse circumstances? Keep in mind the sometimes shoddy tolerances the bike industry works to when you answer the question.

Personally I think riding hookless is the same as applying for a Darwin award, but I concede others may have a different view.

gurk700

by gurk700

spartacus wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:34 pm
gurk700 wrote:

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT want conti / extralite to look into his incident and figure out why it happened, improve the product in the future and go from 1 in a thousand to 1 in tens of thousands of incidents if not eliminate completely.

There are variations in tolerances, that's it.And there are no hooks as a backup. Period. No need to investigate.

Y'all are hopeless.
Come back to me when you’ve dealt with your self esteem, anger and superiority complex issues, decided that internet trolling is not a viable hobby and most importantly, grown up to where your mental age matches your physical one.

spartacus

by spartacus

gurk700 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:50 pm
spartacus wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:34 pm
gurk700 wrote:

Y'all are hopeless.
Come back to me when you’ve dealt with your self esteem, anger and superiority complex issues, decided that internet trolling is not a viable hobby and most importantly, grown up to where your mental age matches your physical one.
You're mad because you don't understand how tolerances work, not my problem.

If you follow your thought process to its logical conclusion then we would end up with impossible to meet standards of tolerances, or hooks.

But you're kinda right, there's no reason to post online anymore because people don't listen to me, and all anyone does is bitch about anything that's new or argue especially when they're wrong. It's all whataboutism or bitching about how "you aren't pro" so you don't need to do X and Y. SO BORING!

pushpush

by pushpush

If marginal variances in statistical safety are such a big deal, why are we all riding around in glorified lingerie instead of proper safety gear? We would all do a lot more for our safety by wearing knee pads or spine protectors than arguing over hooked and unhooked.

I find this very confusing TBH. :D

Personally, I dont care if wheels are hooked or unhooked, I ride both and both have served me well. I just dont ever want to deal with another tube again if I can possibly help it.

Xabi

by Xabi

itsacarr wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:58 pm
toxin wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:35 pm
Pogačar's wrist injury happened because he got a double blowout on enve hookless. There have been at least 3 televised cases of zipp hookless blowouts during spring classics
That particular crash was because Honoré from EF hit a pothole at 70kph. Pog & teammate were directly behind and slid out as a result. EF obviously runs tubeless as well + air liners on ocassion // but a pot hole at 70kph is still an excellent way to have a violent outcome using any current tire technology.
Would a tire liner protect from blowout and crash?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

Tubeless road tires of an adequate width on hooked rims with foam inserts should be very unlikely to blowout in any circumstance barring catastrophic failure of the rim. Hookless even with foam inserts, there are so many variables that can lead to blowouts - it's just not worth the risk.

It's fine on chunky MTB tires with massive inserts and really low pressures, and makes the rim itself less fragile, but it's just stupid for road or gravel.

I'm also amazed nobody has brought up that new SRAM (Zipp) patent in this thread ... the one where they delineate their new idea of GLUEING hooks to hookless rims for tire retention. Which to me is a tacit admission that hookless is both a problem, and is being used because it's cheaper (glue on hooks would lead to fewer QC rejects than molded hooks and thus lower costs).