Unbelievable Blowout of Conti GP5000S within max pressure.

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Nickldn

by Nickldn

RDY wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:28 pm
I'm also amazed nobody has brought up that new SRAM (Zipp) patent in this thread ... the one where they delineate their new idea of GLUEING hooks to hookless rims for tire retention. Which to me is a tacit admission that hookless is both a problem, and is being used because it's cheaper (glue on hooks would lead to fewer QC rejects than molded hooks and thus lower costs).
Retrofit to current Zipp rims which are no longer suitable for 25mm wide tyres according to ETRTO?

Maybe Zipp will be sending out kits with glue. :D
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TLN

by TLN

I'm ok with hooks if it raisses allowed pressure back into "hooked nubmers". Basically telling me that I can do 90psi with 28c tire on 25mm glued-hooked. (Not that I need 90 psi, but still)
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

TLN wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:51 pm
I'm ok with hooks if it raisses allowed pressure back into "hooked nubmers". Basically telling me that I can do 90psi with 28c tire on 25mm glued-hooked. (Not that I need 90 psi, but still)
That's right :thumbup:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

RDY wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:28 pm
I'm also amazed nobody has brought up that new SRAM (Zipp) patent in this thread ... the one where they delineate their new idea of GLUEING hooks to hookless rims for tire retention. Which to me is a tacit admission that hookless is both a problem, and is being used because it's cheaper (glue on hooks would lead to fewer QC rejects than molded hooks and thus lower costs).
Very interesting, and telling, it certainly seems.

JWTS

by JWTS

For what it's worth, I think it's silly to run a race tire hookless. There's just not enough headroom if you're running higher pressure with a narrow (25 or 28) tire.

That said, I also think it's silly to run anything more narrow than 30 or 32 unless you're racing, unless you don't have clearance. 32's are so incredibly close to the overall performance, I just don't understand running a narrower tire unless you have a number pinned on. And in my opinon, there is absoutely a potential benefit to hookless with a 32: a thicker sidewall that's more impact resistance.

I'm running a pair of cheap Token RoubX wheels; hookess, with 32mm 5000S TR's. I run them at 55-57 PSI, max. There's plenty of headroom, and I have zero worries that they'll come off. The advantage to this set-up is that I can also run them on light gravel with some chunk at about 28 PSI, and the rims still hold up. I do not think a hookless set-up would have held up as well. Impact resistance is absolutely better with a hookless set-up--so those claiming there are "no" advantanges are either misinformed or simply trying to push their own opinion.

If you want to run a narrow tire at high pressure, use a hooked rim. Problem solved.

JWTS

by JWTS

duplicate..oh, why...internet...

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Why would anyone want to run 90psi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ArtV

by ArtV

That's OK. This entire thread, as entertaining and informative as it is, should probably be in the road tire and wheels forum........

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

ArtV

by ArtV

And agree....why internet?

Last edited by ArtV on Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomato

by tomato

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:00 pm
Because on good pavement, that can often give you the best performance.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

JWTS wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:53 pm

That said, I also think it's silly to run anything more narrow than 30 or 32 unless you're racing, unless you don't have clearance. 32's are so incredibly close to the overall performance, I just don't understand running a narrower tire unless you have a number pinned on. And in my opinon, there is absoutely a potential benefit to hookless with a 32: a thicker sidewall that's more impact resistance.

I'm running a pair of cheap Token RoubX wheels; hookess, with 32mm 5000S TR's. I run them at 55-57 PSI, max. There's plenty of headroom, and I have zero worries that they'll come off. The advantage to this set-up is that I can also run them on light gravel with some chunk at about 28 PSI, and the rims still hold up. I do not think a hookless set-up would have held up as well. Impact resistance is absolutely better with a hookless set-up--so those claiming there are "no" advantanges are either misinformed or simply trying to push their own opinion.

If you want to run a narrow tire at high pressure, use a hooked rim. Problem solved.
People ride for different reasons, at different speeds, on different kinds of roads. It's worth keeping that in mind when saying things like "I think it's silly to run anything [other than what I do]".

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:00 pm

I can think of a few races on the calendar here where it would be optimal to run a 25mm tire at around 90-95psi... I keep my ENVE SES 5.6s around just for that reason.

TLN

by TLN

65 psi + heavy rider + shitty home pump + hot outside + going fast downhill = who knows what kind of pressure I got there when I'm riding.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

gurk700

by gurk700

spartacus wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:10 pm
gurk700 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:50 pm
spartacus wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:34 pm
gurk700 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:39 pm

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT want conti / extralite to look into his incident and figure out why it happened, improve the product in the future and go from 1 in a thousand to 1 in tens of thousands of incidents if not eliminate completely.
WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED

but nobody wants to listen

There are variations in tolerances, that's it.And there are no hooks as a backup. Period. No need to investigate.

Y'all are hopeless.
Come back to me when you’ve dealt with your self esteem, anger and superiority complex issues, decided that internet trolling is not a viable hobby and most importantly, grown up to where your mental age matches your physical one.
You're mad because you don't understand how tolerances work, not my problem.

If you follow your thought process to its logical conclusion then we would end up with impossible to meet standards of tolerances, or hooks.

But you're kinda right, there's no reason to post online anymore because people don't listen to me, and all anyone does is bitch about anything that's new or argue especially when they're wrong. It's all whataboutism or bitching about how "you aren't pro" so you don't need to do X and Y. SO BORING!
:lol: :lol: :roll: yeah man. you really need to see someone for your issues mentioned above. This isn't normal behavior. Do you even work in a professional setting? Do you have do deal with other people? Do you have to consider other people's perspectives in your personal or professional life?

All rhetorical ofcourse. You do you bud.

spartacus

by spartacus

gurk700 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:56 pm
spartacus wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:10 pm
gurk700 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:50 pm
spartacus wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:34 pm

WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPENED

but nobody wants to listen

There are variations in tolerances, that's it.And there are no hooks as a backup. Period. No need to investigate.

Y'all are hopeless.
Come back to me when you’ve dealt with your self esteem, anger and superiority complex issues, decided that internet trolling is not a viable hobby and most importantly, grown up to where your mental age matches your physical one.
You're mad because you don't understand how tolerances work, not my problem.

If you follow your thought process to its logical conclusion then we would end up with impossible to meet standards of tolerances, or hooks.

But you're kinda right, there's no reason to post online anymore because people don't listen to me, and all anyone does is bitch about anything that's new or argue especially when they're wrong. It's all whataboutism or bitching about how "you aren't pro" so you don't need to do X and Y. SO BORING!
:lol: :lol: :roll: yeah man. you really need to see someone for your issues mentioned above. This isn't normal behavior. Do you even work in a professional setting? Do you have do deal with other people? Do you have to consider other people's perspectives in your personal or professional life?

All rhetorical ofcourse. You do you bud.
No you're right I'm on the street prostituting for crack and I sleep on a pallet underneath the freeway.

I don't know why you're snowflaking so hard rn about your "perspective" when the discussion is basically about the tolerances of a rim and the tolerances of a tire and what happens when both of them are off in the wrong direction.

But sorry I hurt your feelings so bad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com