Which Sealant? Orange Seal not available

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mikehhhhhhh wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:19 pm
I keep trying different sealants and arriving back at Stans race.

So long as you refresh it every 3-6 months depending on the weather, I find it very easy to deal with and seals everything but the biggest of slices IME.

Stan’s Race is identical to regular Stan’s except with the addition of XL sized particles. These XL particles are too large to be useful when dealing with road-sized punctures. They’re also large enough that you can hear them tumbling in your tire.

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:00 pm
mikehhhhhhh wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:19 pm
I keep trying different sealants and arriving back at Stans race.

So long as you refresh it every 3-6 months depending on the weather, I find it very easy to deal with and seals everything but the biggest of slices IME.

Stan’s Race is identical to regular Stan’s except with the addition of XL sized particles. These XL particles are too large to be useful when dealing with road-sized punctures. They’re also large enough that you can hear them tumbling in your tire.
I don't see the negative here.

At best it seals bigger holes, at worst you can hear it when you turn your wheels on the stand.

You certainly can't out on the road

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

I am using Orange seal regular on the road and gravel. On my second litre bottle of it. Previously Stans regular. The only advantage with Orange seal is it peels off easier when dry. Doesn't seal punctures better than Stans ime.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

warthog101 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:46 pm
I am using Orange seal regular on the road and gravel. On my second litre bottle of it. Previously Stans regular. The only advantage with Orange seal is it peels off easier when dry. Doesn't seal punctures better than Stans ime.

To me there was a clear difference in effectiveness between Stan's and Orange Seal when using thin 25mm Corsa Speeds at 90psi.

BenjaminHuffy

by BenjaminHuffy

Why, this is the weight-weenies forum, so whichever sealant weighs the least per ounce is the way to go of course...........

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

BenjaminHuffy wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:15 pm
Why, this is the weight-weenies forum, so whichever sealant weighs the least per ounce is the way to go of course...........
I bet they all weigh the same per ounce :smartass: :mrgreen:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I've actually done exhaustive testing on at least two dozen different sealants.

Stan's took the longest to dry out.
Orange Seal weighed the least by far when dried out, but also created a nice membrane around the sides of the paper waxed paper cup.

Almost all latex-based sealants behave the same...except Orange Seal.
The thicker sealants like Muc-Off and Peaty's are not appropriate for high pressure road applications.

You really should trust me when I say Orange Seal is the best overall sealant / easiest to live with.
Attachments
EFAsR3f.png
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

warthog101

by warthog101

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:09 pm
warthog101 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:46 pm

To me there was a clear difference in effectiveness between Stan's and Orange Seal when using thin 25mm Corsa Speeds at 90psi.
I haven't had many road punctures that wouldn't seal. If any. I haven't run that high a pressure.
Gravel though quite a few. Lower pressure yes but bigger holes on gravel. I rate Stans regular better than Orange seal regular in that application, it has tended to seal better. About 15k km of gravel. Way more punctures than about 28k km of road.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

@TobinHatesYou - How long are you getting out of Orange Seal before it needs to be replaced? I've got some new GP5K TT TR's coming and have two sealents I've used in my inventory - Orange Seal Endurance and Challenge Smart Sealant.

Should I ditch both and try to buy some Orange Seal? (I got the endurace when I couldn't find regular a year and a half ago).
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg