Craft Racing wheels - carbon spokes 1180g

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
UrgentDelay

by UrgentDelay

da123 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:25 pm
I replaced the tape on my 5060 wheelset, and the rims have the weight printed on them:

Front (34mm wide, 25 internal, 50mm deep) : 418g
And pretty much the same as LB WR50 (32.4mm wide, 25 internal, 50mm deep) : 420g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sander7721

by Sander7721

Had Anyone swapped the 36T ratchet out of there CRW’s for a 54T or bigger?
Any problems/issues, did you use a DT Swiss ratchet upgrade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SL8 Maganta 54CM 6kgs
Winspace SLC 2.0

pushpush

by pushpush

Sander7721 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:45 am

Yes the standard DT (or DT style) ratchets work fine. They also introduce the corresponding amount of additional audible noise that you would expect. More teeth isn't always an improvement. I use the DT ratchets and ZTTO ratchets interchangeably and have never had an issue with either. I don't see any reason that they would perform differently inside a CRW shell as long as you keep them lubricated.

da123

by da123

Sander7721 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:45 am

I haven't, but I asked the Panda the question before I bought mine and they confirmed there would be no issue using the DT ratchet kits.

Blind1967

by Blind1967

I'm ready to pull the trigger on these but I'm floating between 5055 and 5060.
Both offer me a 300g+ saving over my Bontrager xxx 4 wheelset so I'm not bothered about the 50g difference between the 5055/5060.
The main issue I'm pondering over is the width of the 50mm front rim of the 5060 option. I've read all 50 pages of this thread and the only comment of concern was a recent one saying that the rim width is adversely affecting aerodynamics.
Any advice welcome...

toxin

by toxin

You can ask pandapodium if you can get 5060 with the narrow front rim.

Realistically, the 5 extra mm on the rear wheel ain't doing that much but the wider front wheel isn't a parachute either, a couple watts difference in calm conditions at high speeds (with proper tyre choice). Wider could be a bit faster in crosswinds as the width can manage the airflow slightly better.

Here's the more complicated part, you can gain back most of that loss from the wider rim without compromising crosswind stability and speed by running a very narrow tyre. But because the rim was designed for a wider tyre and the tyre was designed for narrower rim you start getting into dangerous territory with bead retention, tread width, sidewalls, etc.

But if aerodynamics is really all you care about, wait a couple weeks or contact pandapodium as there is an even deeper set right around the corner (literaly finalised and began production last week).
Last edited by toxin on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Blind1967 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:44 pm
Both offer me a 300g+ saving over my Bontrager xxx 4 wheelset so I'm not bothered about the 50g difference between the 5055/5060.
The main issue I'm pondering over is the width of the 50mm front rim of the 5060 option. I've read all 50 pages of this thread and the only comment of concern was a recent one saying that the rim width is adversely affecting aerodynamics.
Any advice welcome...
For 25-28mm (measured width) tires - extra rim width could make it less aero.

If you plan to use 30-34mm (measured width) tires. That rim width is beneficial. Not only for aero, but more importantly, make it more stable in crosswind as well.

I don't know where you live and what is your road condition but people now more commonly race with 28mm label (30-31mm measured) tires in crit and road race here in southern USA. If you do so as well then that extra rim width is desirable.
Last edited by Hexsense on Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AM7Jeremy

by AM7Jeremy

toxin wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:30 am
You can ask pandapodium if you can get 5060 with the narrow front rim.

Realistically, the 5 extra mm on the rear wheel ain't doing that much but the wider front wheel isn't a parachute either, a couple watts difference in calm conditions at high speeds (with proper tyre choice). Wider could be a bit faster in crosswinds as the width can manage the airflow slightly better.

Here's the more complicated part, you can gain back most of that loss from the wider rim without compromising crosswind stability and speed by running a very narrow tyre. But because the rim was designed for a wider tyre and the tyre was designed for narrower rim you start getting into dangerous territory with bead retention, tread width, sidewalls, etc.

But if aerodynamics is really all you care about, wait a couple weeks or contact pandapodium as there is an even deeper set right around the corner (literaly finalised and began production last week).
I asked before they won't swap front wheels from other models

patliean1

by patliean1

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:01 am
Blind1967 wrote:
Any advice welcome...
For 25-28mm (measured width) tires - extra width could make it less aero.

If you plan to use 30-34mm (measured width) tires. That width is beneficial. Not only for aero, but more importantly, make it more stable in crosswind as well.

I don't know where you live and what is your road condition but people now more commonly race with 28mm label (30-31mm measured) tires in crit and road race here in southern USA. If you do so as well then that extra rim width is desirable.
I have a pair of 5060, and yes the front wheel does suffer from crosswind instability at times. I'm running 28c GP5000s on both the front/rear wheel.
Do you suggest running a 30c up front instead? Would that help with stability at higher speeds?

ChinaCycling

by ChinaCycling

patliean1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:33 am
Hexsense wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:01 am
Blind1967 wrote:
Any advice welcome...
For 25-28mm (measured width) tires - extra width could make it less aero.

If you plan to use 30-34mm (measured width) tires. That width is beneficial. Not only for aero, but more importantly, make it more stable in crosswind as well.

I have a pair of 5060, and yes the front wheel does suffer from crosswind instability at times. I'm running 28c GP5000s on both the front/rear wheel.
Do you suggest running a 30c up front instead? Would that help with stability at higher speeds?
Like-for-like the front wheel will feel less stable than another wheel just because of the lack of weight. You have a lot less of a gyroscopic effect with less mass rotating around (especially the rim.)

JeroenB

by JeroenB

[/quote]

[/quote]

Like-for-like the front wheel will feel less stable than another wheel just because of the lack of weight. You have a lot less of a gyroscopic effect with less mass rotating around (especially the rim.)
[/quote]

I received my order ofer 50/60's last week. Did my first 100k, windy, ride yesterday in Belgium. The reply from Joe is my feeling aswel, the low weight does sometimes feel as a little bit less stable in hard crosswinds, but nothing not manageable. I rode the zipp 404's before and the feel on the front wheel is just a littble it extra.

I run GP5000 30mm front and 32mm back. Both come out at 32.5mm The front is perfectly alligned with the rim and I assume therefore that the aero losses are minimal. Good thing for me on the Belgian roads is the comfort gains, wider tires on lower pressure is just superb.
The wheels feel snappy and just keep going. Dropped 300g on the zipp 404's.

As of finish and issue's mentioned on the pages before, I didn't see/feel any. Wheels are superb, worth the money.

Thanks Joe for the socks! :)

Blind1967

by Blind1967

Thanks for reply's guys. I ride in the uk on mixed road surfaces, some pretty poor. I'm 60kg rider so no big watts.
I'm currently running tubeless 28's on front and a 30 on rear. Happy to go 28's all round or 30's if necessary.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

patliean1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:33 am
Nah, keep 28mm tires. Unless you want more cush from 30mm one.

Blind1967

by Blind1967

Still no decision made!
So I've been reading about the 105% rule. So "The Rule of 105 states that the rim must be at least 105% the width of the tire if you have any chance of re-capturing airflow from the tire and controlling it or smoothing it."
So if I'm running 28's this rule can only be achieved on the front wheel of the 5060's and not achievable on the rear or either of the 5055's.
Sounds like I'm talking myself into 5060's

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Blind1967 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:17 pm
Still no decision made!
So I've been reading about the 105% rule. So "The Rule of 105 states that the rim must be at least 105% the width of the tire if you have any chance of re-capturing airflow from the tire and controlling it or smoothing it."
So if I'm running 28's this rule can only be achieved on the front wheel of the 5060's and not achievable on the rear or either of the 5055's.
Sounds like I'm talking myself into 5060's
Rule of 105% is only observed on toroidal U shape rim where it's widest in the middle of the rim.
Usually, middle of the rim is 105% width of the end of rim hook on those rim shape. So if rim is 105% width of the tire, end of rim hook is then around 100% of tire width.
Which suggests that rim that is widest at the rim hook could possibly only need 100% rather than 105%.

Also, it is observed from purely wheels into the wind. Rear wheel leading edge isn't the tire. It's the seat tube. So 105% rule may not be applicable for rear wheel.